I haven't left the house in 5 days

evebmth

I haven't left the house in 5 days and I live at home with my parents and they keep telling me to go out but
1. Theres no where to go
2. I have no friends to go anywhere with
3. Im too scared in case I see people that I know of because I get really anxious if I go out in public and I see people I know

I dont know what to do :(

Im too scared in case I see people that I know of because I get really anxious if I go out in public and I see people I know

I can understand this because I've been not wanting to run in to a number of people, it doesn't stop me going out, but I wont go to certain places and it makes me anxious at times

SoScared

Sometimes the worse anxiety can be actually be the process of preparing to out and all the negative thoughts and scenarios that it can throw up in your mind.

Maybe you can have a short excursion route planned and just enjoy the fresh air, trees, architecture etc but also look reasonably purposeful at the same time.

I think that it is important to catch this now before anything else develops. Time for a before lunch stroll. :thumbup:

Sacrament

Take 'necessary' trips at first. Ask your parents if you can do the shopping next time (or at go with them and help out), or offer to go whenever a certain outside chore needs to be done. Go to the park and take some pictures, or make biking a habit. Look for places where you can do volunteer work nearby, where you're likely to find good, caring people. Like Robert Frost said, the only way out is through.

worrywort

I can relate. I feel very similarly sometimes. Sometimes my house and my mind can begin to feel like a prison. It's like it's not that there's nowhere to go, it's that there's no where that I desire to go, and it's not that there isn't plenty of people out there to be friends with, it's that I get anxious and weird around people and find it less stressful when I'm on my own.

It's hard. I have trouble knowing what to do about it too.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I was like this last year after stuff happened and I took a bad dip back to full anxiety doubt depression and I even disliked my cupcakes.

BUT - I had a guild site I lead and writing - I couldn't do that at home. So - I made an effort to get out - coffee shop - various ones - took a while but I forced myself out. Started twice a week, then became nearly every day and every day I struggled to go. And yeah cost some bucks. But - there's definitely places for you to go! :)

NOW - I felt anxious - I heck still do I feel weird going to same ones all the time so I have a whole route. But soon I'd have to get out, felt just couldn't stay inside. And felt better always when got out. I still struggled and still do going to do stuff with friends. Or specific social. Even at coffee shops around people you can be very insulated and hide away.

SO - I just add to start slow just get out around your block. If you can drive makes it easier sure. But more you do, force at first, once out you DO feel better. :) The HARDEST part is starting.

fate12321

3. Im too scared in case I see people that I know of because I get really anxious if I go out in public and I see people I know

I have this same issue whenever I'm going out.

rockchick46

I find it hard to go out as will, but i just keep telling myself that it will be ok. I also have a book that i write everything down in (Good or bad), i just write. That helps me a lot.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ithior

What do you think you're afraid of? Maybe you don't want them to see you alone? Maybe you don't want to talk to them? I think knowing exactly what you are afraid of can help you fight the problem.

Requiescat

I went 7 straight months at one point. In fact, there was a two year period where I almost never left the house. To break that yoke I planned routes that I knew would be quiet and chose times to that solidified that. Eventually you get used to that routine, it at least gets you outdoors, and a long walk is good for particularly in combating depression. There are many ways you can take it from here. I do understand not wanting to see old faces, but if you keep up this routine you will destroy yourself. Bite the bullet now, because I can assure you it will be a bitter regret in future if you don't! You are going to have to face these things eventually, that's a fact, don't leave until you are so erroded that you literally fan't function at all.