I have SA and now I think my daughter might too

vanfuggle

Do you think you have a predisposition to having SA? Were or are your parents anxious? What about your siblings? Your children?

My mom never had SA, but she was shy and had low self esteem when I was growing up.

My brother and sister have no SA at all.

My daughter had panic attacks in 2nd grade. Now she is 14 and definitely has self esteem issues. Seems to be anxious in some social situations, tho she doesn't really tell me anything much these days.

I do worry about her like crazy, don't want her to have to live through the hell of SA like I have.

Felgen

I think factors that often contribute to the anxiety (bipolar disorder, ADD/ADHD, NVLD, Asperger's syndrome and so on) are more hereditary than the anxiety itself.

Remus

Staff member
I seem to be the only Social Anxiety sufferer in my family, my two kids are fine too. Though my son, my father and grandmother all have mild OCD. I have the more extreme 'pure O' version.

EasySkankin

I seem to be the only Social Anxiety sufferer in my family, my two kids are fine too. Though my son, my father and grandmother all have mild OCD. I have the more extreme 'pure O' version.

My little sister seems to be developing SA... but my younger brother doesn't have it. Hmm, I think it's somewhat hereditary... you're definately more prone to it if it's in your DNA, but your surroundings have more to do with it.

Talk to your daughter, see what you can do to help... I don't know, see if you can go out together, often. SA is horrible and I wouldn't wish it for anyone, so definately see if you can help her out if you can.

mrb

well my mother gave it to me gee thanks mum , and i have 2 daughters that are my own blood , 1 daughter is fine shes kirsty the other mary she worries about evreything to much very sentimental crys over things all the time but her school were on the case and shes getting help with that so she is improving a lot ...... dont think its sa with her just worries to much , she seems ok with people , well most of the time anyway ... i wouldnt wish sa on anyone ..