I get worst anxiety around people my own age

I've noticed for a while now that I am really intimidated around people in my same age group. If I'm out and about, I seem to have no real problem talking to older people or even kids, but 20 somethings make me feel like the rejected high school/college loser again. The worst situation is when I'm out with my parents or something and somehow we end up hanging out with cousin and her group of cool, pretty friends. I feel like the little 14 yr old retreating to her shell again. When I was a kid, i felt the same way towards kids my own age. My worst nightmare was going to a cousin or friend's b-day party with a big group of kids I'd never met. It's like I freeze up and I'm so awkward.

I mean, shouldn't a person be most at ease with those their own age?

lyricalliaisons

I'm the same way around people my own age, especially females my own age (I'm female). I'm still scared to be around liitle kids, too though lol, & older people, but it's not as bad as it is when I'm around people my own age. I start feeling bad about myself & self-conscious sometimes & I inadequate.

JamieD

There's two of these threads. I commented on the other. You hit the nail on the head with the 'anxiety around people my own age' thing.

lol the only people I don't get social anxiety around are kids that are like 8 or younger...and those are the people I don't wanna be frinds with haha

Anomaly

I mean, shouldn't a person be most at ease with those their own age?

Where do you get that notion? People tend to compare themselves most with those their own age -- it's rare to see a 15-year-old feeling inferior to a 60-year-old investor because he doesn't own property, yet that 15-year-old would be very concerned about his/her image with respect to other 15-year-olds.