I finally figured out how my therapist is helping me

froghat

I've been seeing a therapist for about 2 months now and I wasn't sure if he was helping me or not, but today I finally realized how he's helping me. Basically I'm paying him to be my friend. I know that sounds stupid, but currently I have no friends, no job, and I very rarely have any long conversations with my family, so mostly I just sit around the house keeping all my thoughts to myself, which is leading to anxiety. It's amazing how I feel before and after a therapy session. Before I'm depressed, lonely, and anxious and after I just feel upbeat and not as lonely. Hopefully this will help me transition into my new job and I can get some real friends. Isolation can really F you up for sure! It's no wonder I only lasted two weeks at my last job. Anyways, I highly recommend therapy and medication to anyone who suffers from severe anxiety and feels isolated. It helps!

just_shadows

yeah, well... it is really true, i guess :/ mostly - it's understanding, objectivity, and willingness to help...
and confidentiality, of course...

:/

Fighter86

A most expensive friend certainly, but its useful to have someone to talk to. I used to have a supportive therapist and I felt good just knowing I would be going to see her!