I feel so empty

Iseesky

I'm not bored...I have plenty of things to do. But, I feel like I'm being ignored.

I know I'm being ignored my certain people (and by certain people i mean friends...and by ignored i mean i suggest things we could go out and do one day and get a 'yeah, maybe' back), but I know that other people just have other things to do. And that's what I need. Other things to do. Other people to hangout with.

But, I always feel like I'm intruding. Other people have friends already and I feel like I would just be a burden to them. When I am trying to talk to new people, I'm fine when it's just us...But when we're with their other friends they're talking about things that I'm not included in and I just feel stupid. And they're always so much more advanced than I am. They have good jobs...They're smart...They're friendly...They live on their own...etc. And then I just quite while I'm ahead because I just feel like a child when I'm around them.

And sometimes I focus too much on what type of people we are. I tend to talk to quiet, more 'average' people. People that aren't considered 'cool' by the majority of folks. Because that's how I see myself. And, though I get along with these people in class, I wonder whether I would get along with them outside of class. We have the same interests...We have the same personality types...And by no means do I think I'm cool, but I'm certainly more 'cool' than some of these people. And I wonder if people would think it's weird that I'm hanging out with them. My friends would definitely tell me that they're 'weird' as they've said about some of the people I talked to in high school.

I guess I don't really know where I belong or who I belong with. I tend to talk to people who don't belong. Misfits, I guess. Because they're generally nicer people. How much in common do you have to have with someone to be friends with them? I could be friends with a person in class and we could get along great talking about the subject matter and the teacher and things related to the class, but then that could be as far as it goes. They like anime...I don't. They like K-Pop...I don't. They like sports...I don't. We wouldn't have anything to talk about outside of class.

I don't know. I feel like I'm now in a neverending cycle of meeting people, liking them quite a bit, comparing myself to them and deciding they're too good for me (which is what happens when I think we actually would get along) or we wouldn't get along and then moving onto the next person.

I'm trying to work on my confidence this summer so I can go to school in the fall and hopefully make some friends. But, this happens every summer, really and I'm starting to lose hope.

ridicule

The number one thing I can say is relax. I like to start casual, and even if you're intruding, press on. More than likely, it's all in your head. And I'm guessing you're a one-on-one person, as am I. In that case, stick to others who are the same and they aren't hard to pick out.

Iseesky

Great advice. :) With school coming up in September I hope to be more open with people. I do have a desire to make friends...

CrzyDrmr

This is something I've tried to learn to accept for a while now. It's totally true, people who are in their 20's and later aren't looking for a new friend. They've already gone to school, gotten the good job, and made all the friends they'll ever need from those two places. Once people get to a certain age, they don't want to be bothered anymore with the whole process, which is much more of an adolescent thing. Thus, making it a whole lot harder to meet new friends after reaching a certain age. People are just too involved in their own lives to give a damn. Sad but true... :rolleyes:

Iseesky

This is something I've tried to learn to accept for a while now. It's totally true, people who are in their 20's and later aren't looking for a new friend. They've already gone to school, gotten the good job, and made all the friends they'll ever need from those two places. Once people get to a certain age, they don't want to be bothered anymore with the whole process, which is much more of an adolescent thing. Thus, making it a whole lot harder to meet new friends after reaching a certain age. People are just too involved in their own lives to give a damn. Sad but true... :rolleyes:

:( Yeah. I have plenty of the people I used to be friends with in high school on facebook. A group of them just got back from camping and I so would have loved to go. But, I don't talk to any of them anymore and I'd feel so stupid trying to reconnect. I kind of hope I run into one of them one day and things go back to how they were. I wouldn't take them for granted this time. I feel better about myself now and I'd want to spend more time with them than I would by myself.

CrzyDrmr

:( Yeah. I have plenty of the people I used to be friends with in high school on facebook. A group of them just got back from camping and I so would have loved to go. But, I don't talk to any of them anymore and I'd feel so stupid trying to reconnect. I kind of hope I run into one of them one day and things go back to how they were. I wouldn't take them for granted this time. I feel better about myself now and I'd want to spend more time with them than I would by myself.

I know. I would feel like a total ass contacting old friends and people from the past nowadays. I feel like they've moved on with their lives and discovered new things and people, whilst I have not. I'd have basically nothing interesting to say or to be proud of that I've done since I last saw them, so I avoid that at all costs. Not worth the trouble and anguish when I already feel bad enough about it ::(: