I don't have social anxiety, I have scopophobia - fear of...

Penfold

being looked at.

I have always felt that social anxiety/phobia never described my problems because I believe I have a great personality and none of my anxiety relates to fearing what to say to people, yet I suffer from social anxiety.
But I now realise my problem is a fear of being looked at, which means talking face to face, in groups, all eyes on me, centre of attention makes me so anxious.
Can anyone else relate to this?

My scopophobia was caused by years of put downs, insults, name calling, ridicule, laughed at, etc in my teenage years and in recent years. I am in my late 20s now and this problem has held me back so much in life. I always seemed to be called names, insulted, ridiculed, told I was ugly, etc in my teenage years. People always seemed to judge me negatively for how I looked.
Then around the age of 17 I seemed to get so many put downs and ridicule about how I looked and my nose, in the space of about 3 months I received so many negative comments, it was just so hurtful. I started a weekend job and people ridiculed me for how I looked. I went on holiday and some girl said I had big nose and was ugly. I started college and people there were saying I had big nose and was ugly.
My nose is bigger than average but not huge and I never thought it was that bad, but people were making me feel like an ugly freak for my nose.
I started always hiding my nose from that point and hating being looked at because I just believed that whenever people look at me or see my nose they would insult me, ridicule me, judge me negatively, etc.

Over the next few years I had more and more negative comments about how I looked. I remember times where people laughed at me, my friends at university said I was ugly as ****, at work a lady said out loud to the whole office of 35 people that I had a big nose and started insulting and ridiculing me. Some people in the office laughed, some people said they were disgusted with what she was doing. I can remember so many put downs for how I look, I became so self conscious and just hated people looking at me, I just developed beliefs if anyone looks at me they will judge me negatively, think I am ugly as ****, may insult me or say something behind my back, but basically that they would think awful things of me.

Nowadays I try my very hardest to look my best - I get my haircut every 4 weeks which is styled and cool. I have nice eyes, I have good teeth, I dress very smart, I am tall and in good shape. I often look in the mirror and think I look good, but as soon as I am around people I just hate being looked at, I still believe if people look at me or see my nose that they can only judge me one way - negatively, judge me as ugly and a freak.

It just makes life so hard, I struggle so much in any situation where people can see me.
Typical examples: I find it so hard speaking to women, I feel so self conscious with how I look and hate being looked at - which makes me so anxious and unable to get my words out.
I hate meeting new people because I hate being looked at - I feel so self conscious again, feel so ugly and that I will only be judged negatively and as ugly.
I hate walking down a street for example where many cars pass. I absolutely hate walking past stationary traffic.
I hate approaching people and asking for things as they will be looking at me.
I hate anything in groups - like meetings or training courses where you have to speak out loud - I just cannot do it, I get so anxious that I am sick and cannot get a word out.
I hate walking past windows.
I hate walking into work when its busy or walking into the office when I am late and everyone looks at me.
I avoid people - I avoid women in particular - I am always hiding my face with my hand - I am always pretending to wipe my eye or I look away from people.
I even hate being in my car in traffic and cars to the side of me are stopped too, I just cover my face by resting my head on my hand. I hate getting on a bus and everyone is looking forwards and can see me.
I hate being in queues.
I hate interviews with 2 people looking at me.
Even as I have written this at work I have hid my face maybe 10 times so far as people have walked past me.
I just believe that when people look at me they are judging me as ugly and disgusting and find me repulsive and a freak. I feel so ugly and unworthy. I feel ashamed. I believe everyone is shallow and when anyone looks at me they will think awful things of me. I believe people will even say things about how I look - because in the past so many people have done.
I feel like crap basically.

I have tried hypnotherapy, I have worked a lot on understanding my problems and trying to change how I think, I have read so many books, I have chatted lots about it with people, but I cannot stop how I feel. I fear being looked at. I feel ashamed when being looked at and believe people can only judge me negatively when they look at me.

I wish so much to beat this. I am thinking of trying hypnotherapy again. I think that is the only thing that can change my beliefs and how I think.

Can anyone else relate to this?

KVCC

I can relate somewhat, i have more social anxiety issues but i can see where your coming from.

I also hate having like a classroom look at you(I get panic attacks from doing speeches), i HATE walking across the street because I fear all the cars waiting and staring and waiting just for me.

I think you should get some nice shades 8) that way you might feel a little bit more comfortable espcially when looking AT people.

snappa

It's a fear of being judged. I hate all of those things you do but I don't think it has to do with any single part of my appearence or actions. I think if you had a nose job you would probably still feel people are judging you but now it would be about something else like the way you walk or how your voice sounds. Its all part and parcel of this condition.
As far as a bigger than average snoz and women are concerned, two words: Gerard Depardieu.
I hope you get the courage to talk to women, you are probably a better catch than you think.

Penfold

snappa said:
It's a fear of being judged. I hate all of those things you do but I don't think it has to do with any single part of my appearence or actions. I think if you had a nose job you would probably still feel people are judging you but now it would be about something else like the way you walk or how your voice sounds. Its all part and parcel of this condition.
As far as a bigger than average snoz and women are concerned, two words: Gerard Depardieu.
I hope you get the courage to talk to women, you are probably a better catch than you think.

It is only about being looked at for me. I am never ever worried about being judged about my personality or whether people like me as a person, that side of things doesn't worry me at all, I know people will like me as a person, I have huge confidence in that side of things. Its never an issue what to say either - but the fear of being looked at makes me so anxious that I start struggling to say what I have to say because I get so anxious. No one has ever criticised my personality, I have never found it difficult to make friends, but I have been hugely criticised and slaughtered for how I look, hence why I have zero confidence in how I look and am so self conscious and believe people can only think negatively of me for how I look.

But you are right in that if I had a nose job I don't think it would be the answer. I don't want a nose job, this is who I am. I just want to change my beliefs.

recluse

I just can't believe how rude and insensitive people can be! I mean a lot of people have physical flaws....But a decent person wouldn't point it out and laugh at it! I'm just so disgusted at how people can be.

Penfold

recluse said:
I just can't believe how rude and insensitive people can be! I mean a lot of people have physical flaws....But a decent person wouldn't point it out and laugh at it! I'm just so disgusted at how people can be.

Yes, I mean no one is perfect, I am sure almost everyone would like to change something in their appearance. I didn't choose the way I look, so why people felt the need to be so horrible to me I just don't know. I feel so much hatred to so many people who put me down. I tell you what really really made me feel bemused. I work in a really rubbish job (even though I am clever and have a good degree in accountancy), I cannot progress because my confidence is so terrible that I can't face interviews or jobs where there would be meetings. I have never had the confidence to go for better jobs, I have fulfilled none of my potential. But recently a girl who used to always ridicule me back at school and college, she came and worked where I work, she was a manager (not my manager but a manager in another office) and she earned £40,000 plus, whilst I earn about 3 times less than that. Where is the justice? She drives home in her sports car, she is successful and the world is her oyster, I am left a failure because I lost all my confidence due to her and others like her. I hate her so much. I recently walked past her in the corridor, I just glanced at her and shook my head. She knows she was horrible to me, I hope she feels ashamed.

But, I don't want people like her to have controlled my life by their nastiness to me. I have goals and ambitions, I want to have a great life and meet someone nice and have the best times ever and feel like I am achieving something with a job I like and am doing well in. Right now I can't do any of that because of my fear of being looked at due to these stupid people.

I just don't know how I can change the way I think. Today I must have hidden myself with my hand or avoided people seeing me by looking away at least 100 times. I just cannot be myself because of this.

insomnia

I also have a facial physical imperfection. I think about it every day I look in the mirror and a lot of the time when I'm near people. And I'm always afraid someone's going to mock me for it. But I don't think I've had anyone, maybe several people in the past that didn't really know me and made fun of me. I sometimes think of surgery, but I'm not sure if it would really work, have no money, afraid of the risks and I don't know for sure if it would really improve my confidence.

I know it's hard but you really have to love yourself no matter what other's think.