I do stupid things

Infected_Malignity

Helping yourself get over anxiety can suck sometimes... but can be really addictive too. I was reading a thread on this forum for hippies (lawl, yes i''ve been a member there long before this site came into play) where they were talking about shoplifting... which I didn't know was actually 'cool' in certain circles. Anyway, they were all talking about how they do shit like that just for the pure rush of it... like the adrenaline rush from the possibility of being caught.

So I started applying it to social anxiety, and now I'm really curious as to why I stopped because it was helping tremendously. For about a week or two, I was just totally being... my crazy self. I was talking to a bunch to people I didn't know, saying 'hi' to everybody I passed by, and just doing normal stupid things that I'm usually too afraid to do socially/in public. Everytime my heart started to race in anxiety, the anxiety was replaced with this awesome sense of euphoria almost, because of the fact that it was being anticipated now it a good way... maybe even encouraged, instead of being dreaded. In a sense, it was almost like being addicted to a drug that does no harm at all. Plus, I got to know a few more people in the workplace and actually start conversations and shit... which is something I'm normally waaayyyy too afraid to do.

Slowly though I started believing and telling myself it was a terrible idea and I eventually dropped the philosophy completely, but now I'm wondering what I'm so afraid of, or why I don't just go back to that same mindset. It helped me face a ton of fears all in one shot... and now I'm really curious as to what it would be like to give it another go. It's kind of like skydiviing in a way.

Anyone else every try anything this stupid?

silentbutdeadly

I think that's exactly how a guy from my high school got over his shyness. He decided to stop giving a shit about what people thought about him, and he just started to say whatever was on his mind, no matter how retarded it sounded in his thoughts. It basically turned his life around. And he became a really likable guy, if I may say so myself.

That's probably our problem (or at least mine, if I shouldn't speak for anyone but myself) in a nutshell: we're just too damn uptight. I remember that one of the times that I felt most like a "normal" person was when I was up late during my senior year of high school with my roommates (I went to a boarding school). I was really nervous because I had procrastinated on a big project, so I was going to have to pull an all-nighter. And what made that even worse was I then had the attitude of "Sweet! I have 8 whole hours to do my project, so that means I can fuck around and do whatever I want for a couple of hours and THEN do it!" So for that couple of hours I just completely cleared my head of any worries about the project (and any worries at all) and shot the shit with my roommates and joked around and whatnot. I probably made them laugh more than I ever did before. I was basically just very uninhibited. That remains to this day as one of my favorite high school memories.

So I guess the moral of this story is: we should stop caring so much about what other people think of us. The person we try so fucking hard to hide from the world just might be a really damn likable person, if we give it the chance to be seen.

princess_haru

silentbutdeadly said:
So I guess the moral of this story is: we should stop caring so much about what other people think of us. The person we try so fucking hard to hide from the world just might be a really damn likable person, if we give it the chance to be seen.
Wow, this actually hadn't occurred to me before! You could be right... maybe the traits that we believe make us seem weak or silly are actually the ones that make us human and approachable 8O

I've noticed that the people who are most comfortable to be around are the ones who are at ease with themselves and not trying too hard to impress or whatever. It's funny how I can notice stuff about other people but totally fail to apply it to myself :roll: