I blew the phone Interview... *sigh*

nope1

Man, I sent my resume to a call center and they called in the worst time: When I didn't sleep, stressed out and asking me questions I'm was not prepared to answer. Such as: "Why do you want to work for us" my mind just froze.

Plus, she told me "You don't seem confident, I want someone who's confident to work for me, Can you do that for me?"

Shit, this is pissing me off...

Just wanted to let it out,

Anyone has a bad experience to share?

Scottish_Player

Hey mate, dont let it get you down or piss you off, use it as a learning experience. The next time you get a phone interview have the answers ready, iam sure the questions will be similar to the ones you where asked today, so think in your head how best you could answer them so your ready for it when the time comes. ;)

maggie

cutefluffykitten said:
Ewwww i wouldnt wana work for a person like that...you will find a nice person to work for

sorry it pissed you off ...try and think of it as.....you can get better :wink:
i agree with cutefluffy...hey nope1...i wouldn't worry about it too much, at least you answered the phone and tried...maybe better next time :wink:

Waybuloo

It is better next time to tell them first you are in the middle of somthing like cooking and ask them to at least call you back in like half an hour so you can get your thoughts together and prepare answers for the standard questions. Or you can call them back.

I had a phone interview for a call centre type but they told me its commision based which is just more pressure that i don't think i would be able to handle on top of calling people.

Good luck.

Oh and what professionalism by telling you u don't seem confident and asking you to be?! You got to remember interviews are a two way thing, you consider whether they are good enough for you too ;)

If it is unavoidable though that something like this happens again then i would jsut explain i havent' had much rest sorry and wasn't prepared for this interview. But then again it wouldn't matter cause they are not worth your time. :)

random

Nope1,
I agree with other posters - it is experience. The caller's behavior sounds like someone you wouldn't be happy working with. None of your other interviewers will know that you have had this practice experience.
Years ago I faked my way past a phone interview for a job working in a remote location in a burned out forest on the side of a hillside not accessible to vehicles etc for months at a time (perfect job for an SA person, eh?). But- I couldn't hide my SA in person. The interviewer walked into the waiting room and extended his hand to shake mine - I was so nervous I tried to stand without uncrossing my feet first and ended up lunging at him (uh..yeah I am a woman). He had to catch me from falling with a mighty handshake. I melted with horror through the rest of the interview. Another woman was interviewing AT THE SAME TIME and she was chatty and absolutely stunningly beautiful (waist length blond ringlets - the interviewer could.not.take.his.eyes.off.her) woman. I didn't get the job - I had a degree and experience working at sea in isolation - but I didn't have the people skills to sample migrating fish in a stream.
In hindsight, I remember how seriously I took it all - proof of my helplessness etc. Now I realize it wasn't proof of anything - I got nervous. THat's it. I am looking into books and checking with friends now to catch up on interviewing techniques (phone and live) and picking up great tips on this board (explaining that you are otherwise engaged and asking if you can call back sounds...confident...and I wouldn't have thought of it unless I read this post. It's all experience and it's always behind us, where it belongs as we go forward to new territory, new opportunities etc.

Waybuloo

random said:
Nope1,
I am looking into books and checking with friends now to catch up on interviewing techniques (phone and live) and picking up great tips on this board (explaining that you are otherwise engaged and asking if you can call back sounds...confident...and I wouldn't have thought of it unless I read this post. It's all experience and it's always behind us, where it belongs as we go forward to new territory, new opportunities etc.

From the advice i've been given about face to face interviews, friends tell me I need to be confident, even if i am very shy. But then again they go for the investmetn banks which is another league i guess. Other interviewers have jsut said to be yourself, which is kind of true i mean they don't want to talk to a robot, what they really want to know is about the real you, the kind of person that they would be workign with. My therapist told me to show interest in the job as that is what they like. So all in all i think what is important is to be friendly, even if you are nervous, smile a lot. Try to act confident but not too over the top. Although how that can be achieved is a mystery to me.

nope1

Thank you for your comments. I realized that it's the not the end of the world. I just have to learn from my mistakes and try to be better...

Plus, I need to laugh at myself. And I have to say... If I think about it, it was a little bit hilarious...

cloaked

i'm so sorry to hear that. :(

I probably would've lied and pretended i was someone else and said 'he isn't hear right now, he should be back in an hour.'

actually now that i think about it i dont know if i would ever put my self in a situation where i am intervied over the phone. i hate phones. that's partly why i have no friends. i always say one words responses i never converse.

yay

quite frankly i think most jobs prefer you to be confident in order to communicate with consumers. so i don't blame her/ him but i don't blame you either because you have sa/sp

Snowman

nope1,

I work in a call centre for a large telephone company: consider yourself lucky that you didn't get the job! Seriously! I hate the job; people call me and yell at me because they spent too much on their cell phone this month, they lie to me, they insult me...you don't want a job like that.

Look for something better and consider yourself lucky.

Snowman

triceratops

lol yeah i had a phone interview for the aa. got past the first question then on the second my mind went blank i paniked and put the phone down. I really cant do them.