I always think everyone is messing with me.

PhantomPod

Even when people are nice to me, I feel like they are just messing with my head and acting nice when they really don't like me.

I just went to the sub shop to get a sandwich, and the boy who waited on me made eye contact with me right when I walked in and he was sort of flirting with me or something it seemed. As I was leaving he came over by the door and pointedly said, "bye! Have a nice day," and I didn't make eye contact and was sort of just like, "oh, you too," as I practically ran to my car.

It's as if I then thought the kid was going to turn to his co-worker after I left to say, "Haha, that girl was weird. Did you see how uncomfortable I made her? ahahahah."

I couldn't even attempt to flirt back because I just automatically assumed that the kid was just messing with me and making fun of me. Jeez, why am I so freakin' paranoid!?

kuze

that happens to me too, im in defense mode all the time and it gets to the point where everything is blurred. I think everyone is making fun at me, I probably dont even notice the times ppl are actually being genuine with me. Its hard to differentiate when Im down on myself so much.

no1

Banned
I think the same exact way.. I always think people just hate me, despise me. Maybe I'm just 'traumatized' or something by the sour faces I've gotten from women, and the other faces from men, the names I've been called, the awkward silences of when nobody gets what I'm saying or a joke that nobody laughs at. All the times I was ignored or didn't get "feedback". It may seem unreasonable or maybe like they just can't ever stop hating me. It always seems like they're just impatient with me that they just wish me death, categorize me with the lowest, like I shouldn't even be born. It's not that I think this way I just always think I'm being misunderstood and people think the wrong way about me because of the way I appear to them. I know it may be annoying, I know, but if someone only knew who I really was, maybe he/she would understand...

Dodger

I am a guy but I feel that people are just trying to be nice and that when they say good things about me they do not mean them.

I always feel glad when people are nice to me but then after a while I start thinking "what if they were just being nice as a joke for their friends or something..." I guess that's a possibility but it's pretty unlikely because most people aren't that mean..

GloomySunday

It's understandable for people with Social Phobia to be suspicious of people's motives...after all, if you've been laughed at or humiliated in the past it's a kind of defence mechanism against being hurt any more.

I think, at worst, the guy was probably just being a little superficial. Is that such a bad thing? Maybe it's part of the job to be friendly towards customers?

It hardly ever happens now (well, not since I was younger) but if a girl was making flirtatious comments towards me I'd just make light of it and say something frivolous like, "Oh, come on, you need your eyes tested..." etc. Whether they're being serious or just taking the mick, it's always the best response. Just keep things light.

Often it's just banter to pass the time of day, nothing more, nothing less. No harm done, right?