Hypehidrosis and Family

windcave

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how your family feels about you having HH?
Are they supportive? Have they always known about your condition?

My parents and other family members have seen me sweating like crazy and they just keep quiet, and well so do I -- pretend it is not happening.

So if any of you could tell how your family feels about your condition.

Thank you so much!

HHH

Hi Windcave, My family members are supportive – they search for available remedies and whenever I go for a new treatment they are very excited and eagerly wait for the results.

But sometimes I’ve noticed that they really don’t want to talk about the problems I face due to this distressing condition. Conversations are not as long as usual when I start to bring up a problem I had to face that day due to sweaty hands. There will be long pauses between dialogues, so I immediately switch to another topic.

I don’t think they understand the gravity of the problem simply because they don’t experience it in person. Perhaps they don’t want to make me worry more by talking about the problem in depth.

But as I said before they surely show interest to find out remedies. It’s my aunt who told me about iontophoresis, its success so far in medical trials and persuaded me to purchase an iontophoresis device.

Do you know that HH can run in families from one generation to another? Like most of the medical diseases, genes play a lot in development of HH. My paternal grandmother, who died long before I was born, has had palmar HH. Some of my father’s close relations have axillary and HH of rest of the body (but not hands or feet).

AvinaKo

Hey. :)

Well... My family (that knows I have it- it really only includes my dad, for I just told him today, and my mum, who told me I have it) is rather mixed. My dad actually laughed at me earlier and told me that he must have it too. D; I was annoyed that he laughed- he may not have social issues with it, but I certainly do. My mum, before I moved out of her house and into my dad's, was going to get me a doctor's appointment.

Personally, though, I'm quite disgusted with it. ^^; I try to pretend it doesn't ever happen- no one at school really knows, I hope.

darknight

well my parents mainly my mom and I talk about it. she sometimes won't accept what is happening to me at school and that she doesn't want to hear about it anymore.... so I go off to bed mainly crying bc it hurts me so much to feel like i'm overreacting when I'm not. I finally go a dr. appt in 2wks. it's Oct 15th I wish it was tomm. my bfam doesn't have HH.

keeping my hopes up

AvinaKo

Well, now, my dad won't make me a doctor's appointment because, apparently, he thinks that because he has the problem or whatever too- that it's fine for me. But, really, it's not- it's awfully embarrassing when I can't even write an essay on a test without having a wet hole through it.

Does anyone know if 15 year olds can make doctor's appointments in New York state? ^^;

windcave

HHH,

Thanks for sharing.

I'm happy for you that your family has been supportive. Keep drawing on your own strength and your family's you'll keep getting better, I'm sure. Sweat-free for life even

I've tried talking to family about it but they just disregard it. As if it was taboo? Well, is it? I thought that hyperhidrosis being a physiological condition it would be easier for them to understand -- rather than a psychological one -- I don't get it.

HHH said:
Hi Windcave, My family members are supportive – they search for available remedies and whenever I go for a new treatment they are very excited and eagerly wait for the results.

But sometimes I’ve noticed that they really don’t want to talk about the problems I face due to this distressing condition. Conversations are not as long as usual when I start to bring up a problem I had to face that day due to sweaty hands. There will be long pauses between dialogues, so I immediately switch to another topic.

I don’t think they understand the gravity of the problem simply because they don’t experience it in person. Perhaps they don’t want to make me worry more by talking about the problem in depth.

But as I said before they surely show interest to find out remedies. It’s my aunt who told me about iontophoresis, its success so far in medical trials and persuaded me to purchase an iontophoresis device.

Do you know that HH can run in families from one generation to another? Like most of the medical diseases, genes play a lot in development of HH. My paternal grandmother, who died long before I was born, has had palmar HH. Some of my father’s close relations have axillary and HH of rest of the body (but not hands or feet).
:D

windcave

Not overreacting at all. I used to tell that to myself and would just make things more difficult for me.

See the doctor. Listen to what he has to say. If he seems unaware or not sympathetic with your condition, see another one. Do not give up.

Take care

darknight said:
well my parents mainly ny mom and Ictlak about it. she sometimes won't acceot what is happening to me at school and that she doesn't want to hear about it anymore.... so I go off to bed maily crying bc it hurts me so much to feel like i'm overreacting when I'm not. I finally go a dr. appt in 2wks. I wish it was tomm. my bfam doesn't have HH.

keeping my hopes up
:wink:

windcave

Same thing would happen to me in school. Had to put 5 sheets of paper under my hand so as not to leave a hole in it ...

I'm sure you have, but tell your father again the severity of your condition and the problems is causing you. He should make an appointment.

I'm not certain about New York State laws about minors making doctors appointments. But sure you can make one, they won't ask you how old you are when you call in. When in the doctor's office, he/she can't refuse to see you if you're not feeling well. There could be an issue though if he/she needs to make a prescription.

Again, talk to your father. He should realize how important it is for you to get medical attention.

AvinaKo said:
Well, now, my dad won't make me a doctor's appointment because, apparently, he thinks that because he has the problem or whatever too- that it's fine for me. But, really, it's not- it's awfully embarrassing when I can't even write an essay on a test without having a wet hole through it.

Does anyone know if 15 year olds can make doctor's appointments in New York state? ^^;

bill-uk

quote="AvinaKo"]Well, now, my dad won't make me a doctor's appointment because, apparently, he thinks that because he has the problem or whatever too- that it's fine for me. But, really, it's not- it's awfully embarrassing when I can't even write an essay on a test without having a wet hole through it.

[/quote]

Living in the UK, I have no idea about how you book your appointments, but I kind of guess that it isn't much different to us. Phone up and book one today and try to take control over this. Currently, this condition is not curable but it certainly is treatable and your post and that of darknight has made me feel very bad about how little information and advice is available to young people with this condition.

Go and see your doctor and let it all out. Don't let yourself be fobbed off with answers that don't help you.

To Darknight, I say the same. There are a lot of people and hundreds of posts on here that can help you, but the doctor is the first appointment to make to rule out any other reasons for the sweating.

Good luck to both of you.

Bill

bill-uk

Windcave,

when I married at 23 years of age I was already a sweater, but nowhere near as bad as I am today. Then I sweated in certain circumstances and these days I sweat in most circumstances, particularly after walking or when doing anything anything that generates heat.

My wife and kids know about it and totally accept it, they make jokes about it but it doesn't bother them at all. I don't actually think that my Mum, brother and sister know of my condition. They have probably seen me a bit sweaty many times over the years but I have never talked to them about it and they have never mentioned it to me.

Funny really that some or those closest to me don't really know about it and I have never felt comfortable enough to talk about it to them (and I am 46 years old !!).

Bill

HHH

Hi Avinako, Bill-uk
I agree with Bill. You should rule out other medical conditions which can cause HH. Hyperthyroidism is one such condition. My doctor asked me to do a particular test to rule out it. Avinako, talk to your Dad first, being a sufferer himself, he should definitely understand the gravity of the problems.

coriander1992

I told my mum about it, and she doesen't really beleive that I have it, but she is pretty supportive and went out and bought me lots of different types of treatments the next day which i thought was sweet :)
she pays for all my anti-perspirants and stuff like that so she is good about it really, even if she doesen't fully beleive me... :roll: :)

ScottsdaleMom

Hyperhydrosis in Family

I'm a 45 year old mother of two and I've had excessive sweating of the head and body my entire life, so has my 84 year old mother although she flat out denies it (as though admitting you're always sweaty is something to be ashamed of). I really hasn't bothered me that much - I just keep the A/C down as low as possible. My beautiful, talented 11 year old daughter however, has suffered from it since the age of 3 on her hands - the most socially awkward place of all. She has even broken her arms because of it (trying to take gymnastics and slipping off the bars). How do you handle the teasing at school? She is new to a school this year, starting 6th grade and is being teased ruthlessly. She comes home in tears every day. I call this bullying and wonder how to handle it. Other than trying to educate her classmates and teachers about HH, what do you do?

darknight

I think u should inform pple of HH it's important. so that other pple can under stand only my closes friends frm HS and tchers frm HS know I suffer frm HH. but in college I hve yet to tell one person. but I had a hard time since the 1day of college. so. Make sure she keeps her head up.. death is not the way out. I have thought of it but always thought of my friends and family. i'm 18 and I suffer frm HH. advice her that with time she will make friends, talk to someone new. it is hard dealing with what we hear everyday. I understand, but I hope she will do well in school. and keeps her head up.

Trying to keep my head up. :D

At first my parents didn't say anything to me about it. I think they were probably trying to help by not making me so self conscious about it. When I finally told them that I wanted to see a doctor they opened up a lot more about it and were pretty straightforward - They wanted me to find something that could help. I would recommend just talking to them about it and initiating the conversation.