How would you react to this?

This is really interesting. It's a pretty powerful way of making a point. I wonder if this guy is a privacy activist. :thinking: I was curious so I looked it up and they say the average person in the UK is caught on CCTV 70 times a day. I thought that was quite low,I presume that's 'average' for across the UK I couldn't find any figures for the U.S I imagine its much higher.

This surveillance guy is essentially doing what the guys in surveillance control rooms do all day. Where I used to work I needed to get keys a couple times. I went to security and they had wall to wall screens zooming in on people, following them from one screen to the next as they walked past each CCTV camera, zooming in to see what they were eating or to objectify women.

Everything about this makes me ill. Privacy has been nonexistent for a while, never mind the internet. People are critcized for being paranoid but sometimes there are good reasons. Increasingly, it seems.

Everyone act normal! :eek: Don't pick your nose or scratch your crotch in public. Or near your computer. Or SmartTV. Or phone. Or SmartFridge. Just don't do those things, ever.

Or just say **** it and let them watch. Hmm.

Everything about this makes me ill. Privacy has been nonexistent for a while, never mind the internet. People are critcized for being paranoid but sometimes there are good reasons. Increasingly, it seems.

Everyone act normal! :eek: Don't pick your nose or scratch your crotch in public. Or near your computer. Or SmartTV. Or phone. Or SmartFridge. Just don't do those things, ever.

I've been speaking with the awareness that someone might be monitoring my private Skype calls ever since that whole NSA thing happened. Same thing with the websites I go to, and what shows I may or may not be watching. It's hard to be invisible these days.

It's generally a good idea to in general cover any web connect camera that you're not currently using. Same with microphones.

SCP-087-1

Everything in my house with a camera has it's lens covered when not in use. I absolutely despise being watched or on camera.

You can build a devise called an infra red invisible mask. You put ultra bright infra red LEDs on a hat. The human eye can't see infra red but cameras can. It has the same effect to cameras as shining a bright torch in a persons eye. Also shining a laser pointer into the lens of a camera blinds it.

Bronson99

Its not in any way funny. He films people in distress and with questionable mental states. It is harassment as he doesn't comply with requests to stop (unless threats to call the police are made). It is edited, so we don't get to see all the reactions he received :thumbdown:

I agree to a large extent... I did not laugh at all when he was talking to that woman who was "offering" something.. or in the situation with the mall girl.. that is just callousness.

But forgive me, I could not prevent laughter in some of the other cases.. my defense is they appeared to be normal people. When someone starts reacting to an irritant, in a natural (non-acted) way.. the result is often funny.

Of course, I would hate to be the target of this guy.. but even knowing that.. I can't help laughing :idontknow:

Argentum

Sure, you don't have to deck someone in the face, but you also have to be a bit sick in the head to think that making strangers just going about their day uncomfortable is a good way to spend your free time. Film if you want, but if people are obviously against your filming them, then have some respect for the world around you that worsens or improves based on your actions.

There used to be a guy in a coffee shop I loved who'd stare intensely at me even when I gave him uncomfortable looks, right up until I started avoiding the area. Hope he feels like more of a man for having intimidated a woman half his age and a lot smaller than him.

Last edited:
Extremely paranoid people like me would hate to have their picture taken, since you don't know what the guy is going to do with it, impersonate you, humiliate you ....etc.

You are right, the more you'll seem to be ill at ease and pissed off , the more he'll persist.
You can either don't mind and not feed the troll , or my favourite alternative : feed him until his belly explodes , with a damaged camera.

Everything in my house with a camera has it's lens covered when not in use. I absolutely despise being watched or on camera.

Same here, especially my smartphone's front camera, I always assume that I am being watched without my knowledge...I do not trust technologies that I do not fully understand, everything can be hacked.

SCP-087-1

There are a few security cameras in the town that I live in that anyone can access via the internet. About a week ago I saw a video posted to facebook that someone had recorded from one of these cameras using a screen capture program. It was a guy riding his bike really fast and the front tire fell off and he got wrecked

fate12321

Watching that video makes me cringe. First of all, I don't know how that guy manages to get the courage to even film people like that. Just putting myself in his shoes makes me feel really stressed/anxious. I barley managed to watch the whole video.

If someone would ever do that to me I probably would've just made small talk to him or ignore him. I could care less.

Merel

I found that video intrusive and difficult to watch, I felt vicariously embarrassed (fremdschämen?) for the people getting filmed. I get uncomfortable if anyone examines me for too long (even without a camera) and if the stranger doesn't open up a conversation and only stares, it feels like I'm being evaluated.

Odo

Banned
People should be allowed to choose whether or not they're exploited for laughs on youtube. Even if privacy is an unrealistic expectation, dignity shouldn't be.

The government might be sinister, but at least you know that there is no way that a human being or even a large team of human beings could ever sift through the amount of data they're collecting... so there's still a degree of anonymity, if not privacy. You can still go about your business and as long as you don't do anything to call massive amounts of attention to yourself, chances are you'll slip through the cracks. Of course, there are a lot of unknowns to this sort of thing so I could be way off here.

The sort of malicious antagonism seen in the video is about publicly humiliating people for entertainment. It's nasty and has no place in a civilized society.

Bronson99

The sort of malicious antagonism seen in the video is about publicly humiliating people for entertainment. It's nasty and has no place in a civilized society.

If you believe that, though.. can you be pro-active about it?

Will you send this guy a message and tell him to stop?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
This surveillance guy is essentially doing what the guys in surveillance control rooms do all day. Where I used to work I needed to get keys a couple times. I went to security and they had wall to wall screens zooming in on people, following them from one screen to the next as they walked past each CCTV camera, zooming in to see what they were eating or to objectify women.

Personally I don't mind being filmed when it's for security reasons. I'm not doing anything wrong so I have no problem with it.But when it's some douche just trying to provoke a reaction from you to make a name for himself.. that's invasion of your privacy. (at least to me it is).

Personally I don't mind being filmed when it's for security reasons. I'm not doing anything wrong so I have no problem with it.But when it's some douche just trying to provoke a reaction from you to make a name for himself.. that's invasion of your privacy. (at least to me it is).

Yea I agree. It's outrageous. ..but I can't help wonder if thats his whole point - if he's a privacy activist trying make a point.

There's also some safety in it being security cameras. Even if the live feed is in the worst case scenario ridiculed or objectified, if the footage is uneventful, it'll likely end up being deleted.

If it's some random person on the street you have no idea what is done with the footage. This videos is case in point of just that; it's exploited for cheap laughs by showing random people at their worst. And it could just as easily been used for other malicious content that the people depicted, who were interrupted just living their life, have no interest participating in.

Odo

Banned
It's unlikely, but you never know. It might be worth the time to send him a well-reasoned email about it.

Sort of like how people reasoned with him in an attempt to get him to stop filming them?

I would just end up making myself a target.

it's exploited for cheap laughs by showing random people at their worst.

Reminds me of the Jerry Springer Show that I used to watch on french television (AB1).
I've never asked myself if that was staged though.

Sadly, that's what the entertaining industry relies on nowadays ,reality shows with as many controversial people as they can bring and drama that they can create.

Spectators aren't what they used to be, they'll be likely drawn by reality drama before anything else.
Youtube is a good example, channels with people pranking/taking the piss out of other people, or carrying out "social experiments" have a huge amount of subscribers and views.