How we are perceived by our environment - false myths

*Amy*

I have started this thread because I think it must have happened many times that people get surprised at something they didn't expect about you. You know, shy/SAD people are commonly perceived as quiet, calm, kind-hearted, naive, prudish and a little stupid.

In my own experience, and because of my shyness, people have wrongly assumed that I:
-am quiet: well, yes, I am, but just on the surface, because I don't usually show my nervousness and worries in public, but actually I could say I am almost hysterical in some moments
-like children: now I do, but some time ago they used to drive me mad, and people were surprised when I told them that I didn't like them and I didn't want to have children
-am serious: people usually tell jokes among them, but don't dare to do it when they are with me. Actually, I like humour and I like laughing, so any joke is welcome with me, unless it is disrespectful
-am rude and/or antisocial: no, I'm not. Sometimes people have asked me permission to sit near me, as if I was to tell them they couldn't. C'mon, I'm not a monster!
-don't like things commonly enjoyed by men: I didn't mean to be a sexist, but I didn't know how to say that. Some people assume that I am not interested in politics, or that I don't like horror movies, or other things which are more common in men than in women
-am a little prudish: I have some close friends whom I have confidence with, but they are very wary when telling me about their sexual experiences, as if I could get shocked by what they told me. C'mon, I was not born yesterday!
-am straight: yes, I know, this could be applied to the whole world population, but people just can't think of me as being attracted to girls, when, actually, I am bisexual
-am religious/a Christian: it used to happen before more than now, but people are still surprised when I tell them that I don't believe in God and that I was not even baptised. I don't have to believe in anything superior to be generous

What about you? What have people wrongly assumed about you because of your shyness/SAD?

AGR

-am religious/a Christian: it used to happen before more than now, but people are still surprised when I tell them that I don't believe in God and that I was not even baptised. I don't have to believe in anything superior to be generous

That is funny,this also happened to me,I dont know why, maybe because I dont drink,smoke, do drugs and generaly dont do bad stuff,sometimes I am reading books and they assume its religious and when asked about some girls I replied that I would never have an affair with someone who was in a relationship because I wouldnt like that done to myself,somehow they think I am religious,but my exerience with religious people are far from that,in fact there are people who dont even know their religion all that well and mix things or completely ignore its teachings,as someone once told me its the "feel good" religion or "coffee shop" religion.

leave_me_alone

I can relate to almost everything you wrote. The list goes on for me.

- lazy
- childish
- spoiled
- arrogant
- heartless
- liar

Sometimes I wish they all knew about my SA, so i wouldnt have to pretend all the time. It does more harm than good, but i cant help myself.

Lea

Banned
I can relate to it too.. I have no idea what people really think of me but of course if they don't know you, they can assume strange things sometimes..