How to Talk to This Guy

spikefan777

I recently noticed this guy in my english class. He is SO cute. He doesn't seem to talk much either. Like when the class is out of control and everyone's moving seats and laughing obnoxiously with their friends, he's sitting at his desk on the opposite side of the room all alone, like me.
I learnt his name yesterday. He's been in my class the entire year and school's out in a month. And I just now learnt his name NOW. So I guess that means that he's pretty shy too and doesn't draw attention to himself either, right?
Anyway, we kept making eye contact today even though we're on different sides of the room. Like you know, you look up from your paper and you see someone looking at you, so you quickly look away? :( I don't know anything about him but I really like him. Is it because I know that we have something in common?
So anyway how am I going to talk to him? Is he ever going to make an effort to talk to me?
Am I aspose to go up to him before class, stick out my hand and say, "Hi, I'm Jennifer,"? :?

dazedandconfused

Tomorrow...just smile at him at some point in the class.

Then you can accidentally bump into him on the way out of the room and try to get a conversation going!

Or you could try partnering up with him in a class project.

Or you could try finding him during the time between class.

Or you could think up a question related to the class, get to class early and ask him it when you get in there.

Or you could just ask him if he wants to hang out sometime next week.

Theres many chances, many oppurtunities. Just go for it! Chances are if his eyes have been drifting your way, he's already attracted to you. He would probably forgive a little bit of awkwardness in the conversation at first. And plus, he might have noticed that you aren't so social, so he might understand exactly what you're going for.

Please post and tell us how your week goes!

Richey

just approach him during lunch as your walking out of class or after classses finish, say anything, god if only more people would just strike up a convo at Uni with me, if i was that guy i wouldnt care if you talked incoherent babble i would appreciate having a new friend or just a person to talk to even if they were a disabled mute, someone to hear me out, sounds as if you really like him so go for it, you seem to have alot to talk about around here so i know you'll be fine, just be calm about it as well and natural let yourself go and ask him about his interests as well, just try and form a friendship and then see where you can take it from there.

spikefan777

dazedandconfused said:
Or you could try partnering up with him in a class project.
Hey, that's not such a bad idea. Your a genius, lol!

Richey said:
god if only more people would just strike up a convo at Uni with me, if i was that guy i wouldnt care if you talked incoherent babble i would appreciate having a new friend or just a person to talk to even if they were a disabled mute, someone to hear me out.
I feel the same way too. Do you think he does? No one new really bothers to talk to me. But then again, I don't really bother to talk to them so... :( But you know, I'd like to. I just can't.

Clash

spikefan777 said:
I recently noticed this guy in my english class. He is SO cute. He doesn't seem to talk much either. Like when the class is out of control and everyone's moving seats and laughing obnoxiously with their friends, he's sitting at his desk on the opposite side of the room all alone, like me.
I learnt his name yesterday. He's been in my class the entire year and school's out in a month. And I just now learnt his name NOW. So I guess that means that he's pretty shy too and doesn't draw attention to himself either, right?
Anyway, we kept making eye contact today even though we're on different sides of the room. Like you know, you look up from your paper and you see someone looking at you, so you quickly look away? :( I don't know anything about him but I really like him. Is it because I know that we have something in common?
So anyway how am I going to talk to him? Is he ever going to make an effort to talk to me?
Am I aspose to go up to him before class, stick out my hand and say, "Hi, I'm Jennifer,"? :?

First of all, small talk him and then work your way up. Say something about his clothing or something that might have happened in class. Then I'm sure it will carry from there. Also something that always works for me. Visualise the conversation before it even happens and just sort of play it out. It really works and I suggest trying it. good luck.

Falcon

spikefan777 said:

Hey, that's awesome spikefan!

Eye contact is a sure sign of interest :)

Try to make more eye contact with him. When you do, hold it and don't look away. If he looks away, that's fine, but keep looking and he'll look back. When he does, smile!

The 'easiest' way to approach him is probably to corral him before or after class and ask a question about the class. After he answers, joke around a bit and maybe comment on his outfit or something. Hopefully he'll get the clues and take it from there :)

Just be yourself and talk to him. It's not important about what!

spikefan777

Falcon said:

Really? That's great!! :D I don't know, what if I'm just flattering myself and he's really checking out the teacher assistant dude who sits next to me? What if I'm totally wrong and he's not interested in me at all? It took me all year to notice him, what if he still hasn't noticed me? :(

Clash said:
Say something about his clothing or something that might have happened in class.

OMG he is always wearing sweatshirts to universities!!! I guess it would'nt hurt to ask him about it.

sweet4certain

omg! i am in a very similiar situation at my college. There is this boy in my painting class who is very cute and also very quiet, doesnt talk much. I have developed a crush on him, because on top of being handsome, we have our shyness in common. I know a little bit about him because i've overheard him say a few things and because we have spoken a little bit throughout the semester, but i can't get up the nerve to ask him to get coffee or something. I believe he is actually a little shyer then me, so i know there is NO way he is going to ask me to do something. He has found ways to ask me questions about class assignments and things, but i'm not sure if he is interested or just wanted to know and i was the closest person to ask lol. Sometimes while we're painting we make eye contact but we both quickly look away. He is such a beautiful painter also. I recently found out he goes home every weekend like i do, which oddly makes me like him even more. I wish i could tell what he was thinking so all these head games could be put to rest! But like you said spikefan, i could be completely wrong about him being interested in me and i dont want to make a fool out of myself!

Falcon

spikefan777 said:
Falcon said:

Really? That's great!! :D I don't know, what if I'm just flattering myself and he's really checking out the teacher assistant dude who sits next to me? What if I'm totally wrong and he's not interested in me at all? It took me all year to notice him, what if he still hasn't noticed me? :(
Come on! When you were looking at him, were YOU checking out the guy next to him? If people make fleeting eye contact once, it may be a coincidence. If it happens again, it's a sign of interest :)

Ask him a question about the class. Make eye contact while you talk to him. Smile. Hopefully he'll get the hint!!

Falcon

sweet4certain said:
omg! i am in a very similiar situation at my college. There is this boy in my painting class who is very cute and also very quiet, doesnt talk much. I have developed a crush on him, because on top of being handsome, we have our shyness in common. I know a little bit about him because i've overheard him say a few things and because we have spoken a little bit throughout the semester, but i can't get up the nerve to ask him to get coffee or something. I believe he is actually a little shyer then me, so i know there is NO way he is going to ask me to do something. He has found ways to ask me questions about class assignments and things, but i'm not sure if he is interested or just wanted to know and i was the closest person to ask lol. Sometimes while we're painting we make eye contact but we both quickly look away. He is such a beautiful painter also. I recently found out he goes home every weekend like i do, which oddly makes me like him even more. I wish i could tell what he was thinking so all these head games could be put to rest! But like you said spikefan, i could be completely wrong about him being interested in me and i dont want to make a fool out of myself!
Summon up the courage and do it! :)

You can couch it in such a way that it'll be easier. For instance, you could say that you're having trouble with the material and ask him if he wants to study at such and such a place at such and such a time?

spikefan777

Falcon said:
Come on! When you were looking at him, were YOU checking out the guy next to him? If people make fleeting eye contact once, it may be a coincidence. If it happens again, it's a sign of interest :)

Ask him a question about the class. Make eye contact while you talk to him. Smile. Hopefully he'll get the hint!!
Yeah, I guess it wasn't a coincidence, when you put it like that. I just wish that there was a way to be absolutely sure. :(

sweet4certain said:
Wow, that's so weird! Lol, I'm so glad that you can relate that well!! I wish that I could give you some advice on what to do in this type of situation, but obviously since I created this thread I really can't, lol. Did the other replys on this topic have helped any? Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! :D

Falcon said:
Summon up the courage and do it! :)

You can couch it in such a way that it'll be easier. For instance, you could say that you're having trouble with the material and ask him if he wants to study at such and such a place at such and such a time?
I guess I could do that. Would that be asking too much from someone I've never talked to before? What really sucks is that I have the highest grade in that class. :?

Falcon

spikefan777 said:
Falcon said:

Yeah, I guess it wasn't a coincidence, when you put it like that. I just wish that there was a way to be absolutely sure. :(
In life, you can never be absolutely sure. But eye contact is a darn good sign that he'd like to get to know you better. If he weren't a shy guy, he'd have spoke to you by now. Since he is, you might have to make the first move.

I guess I could do that. Would that be asking too much from someone I've never talked to before? What really sucks is that I have the highest grade in that class. :?
You tell me if it would be asking too much:

Spikefan: Hey Guy, how's it goin'
Guy: Hi
Spikefan: I had a question, what's the homework assignment for next Tues? I forgot to write it down.
Guy: blah
Spikefan: Thanks...btw your jeans are pretty cool haha.
Guy: <hopefully takes hint and continues conversation>

too much? All you did was ask the hw assignment and tell him he had cool jeans.

spikefan777

Falcon said:
You tell me if it would be asking too much:

Spikefan: Hey Guy, how's it goin'
Guy: Hi
Spikefan: I had a question, what's the homework assignment for next Tues? I forgot to write it down.
Guy: blah
Spikefan: Thanks...btw your jeans are pretty cool haha.
Guy: <hopefully takes hint and continues conversation>

too much? All you did was ask the hw assignment and tell him he had cool jeans.
Nice! :) It'd totally work if my teacher didn't have the last two week's english assignments up on the board, lol. That's a really good conversation though! I think that "Hi, how's it going?" might be a good start and then if there's even a second of silence I'll question him about an assignment. :D

exuser01

spikefan777 said:
OMG he is always wearing sweatshirts to universities!!! I guess it would'nt hurt to ask him about it.

Is he Bill Cosby??

Ask him to share some jello puttin with you.

spikefan777

MrRightNow said:
Ask him to share some jello puttin with you.
LOL! :D I don't actually carry that with me on a daily basis. :?

dazedandconfused said:
Still with us spikefan???
Yeah, I'm here! :D I haven't really gotten a chance to make a move yet. :cry: The only time I ever see him is in English; and we've been taking standardized tests all week so I'm in the same class the entire day. Unfortunately, he isn't in it. :cry: Oh, but I did see him this morning!! I was 10 feet behind him for about 30 yards. And no, I wasn't stalking him! Lol, we just both happened to be heading for the same building. :D