How to stop overthinking

Srijita52

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop overthinking about everything or atleast control it? I tend to overthink a lot even about the sillies mistakes, most ridiculous comments, perceived criticisms or just anything in general. It usually ends up with me either being really depressed or awfully anxious. Is there any way not to do this?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
"It's not a big deal. Relax. It doesn't matter, don't worry about it." - remind yourself of that whenever you get something you can't stop thinking about. Few things we think obsess about are worth obsessing over, we just have to remind ourselves to put them back in perspective.

The only thing that has helped me so far is the suggestion that when you are overthinking something, ask yourself "Will this matter in my life a year from now?"
That can help you to realize you may be placing more importance on something that is really not that important in the grand scheme of things.:)

Bennett21

Avoid thing that is bothering you and change your focus as much as you can because that is necessary for you.
That can help you in keeping yourself away from anxiety.

Last edited:

surewhynot

My tip is to try and keep your mind busy on other things. Hobbies are great for that. If you have nothing to do all day, your mind will have nothing else to focus on than those little mistakes, over and over again. Read a book or something :)

myheartisastone

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop overthinking about everything or atleast control it? I tend to overthink a lot even about the sillies mistakes, most ridiculous comments, perceived criticisms or just anything in general. It usually ends up with me either being really depressed or awfully anxious. Is there any way not to do this?

THIS. This exactly.

... I over think everything. To the point of insanity.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
"It's not a big deal. Relax. It doesn't matter, don't worry about it." - remind yourself of that whenever you get something you can't stop thinking about. Few things we think obsess about are worth obsessing over, we just have to remind ourselves to put them back in perspective.

Another approach I have found is to just stop thinking at all. Like as others have said, distract yourself with things that occupy your mind so you don't have room to think about other things. It doesn't change the way you think (in which the above can help with) but does make it less overwhelming.

Kiwong

I try to take a step out of my thought stream for a moment and look at them. Sometimes my thoughts are like a raging river that carries me away. Instead I try to focus for a moment on what I see and hear. These thoughts are unhelpful I will think rather than get lost in the drama and conflict in them.

Also when I go for a long run I get reduced to very elemental needs. All I can think is about stopping to rest, and eating and drinking. A kind of meditation through physical exsertion.

anomicdeer

Keep your mind occupied with something. I know if may be difficult at time, and maybe at those difficult times you need to get it out by thinking about it. Just try to find different things to do and it should help.

Hoppy

Exercise is a good one.

Keep a journal, and write whatever comes into your head. It is good to see the thoughts on paper and makes it more real.

I would love to try meditation, but it is difficult for me.

I sometimes use pills. The first day I used a tranquilliser was fabulous, my head just went silent and could relax. Unfortunately it didn't last. These days I've found using pills for tension headaches also have the right effect, but I use it only on bad days. And for the really bad days I have a prescription for Ritalin, I only use that when I am really desperate.

Odo

Banned
One thing you could do is think about silence.

Your mind wants to go go go (and this is only getting worse in our wired society) and will probably try to fill the silence with something, but then you just need to refocus.