How to reduce rumination

cowboyup

I, like someone else I know, have been ruminating as of late. I will get in a good place - feeling happy, mood is more stabilized, etc. Then something will trigger a past thought, memory, activity, the good times, and BAM! I am back feeling blah, low, sad, angry.

My NY buddy has also experienced this since moving. We've discussed it and though I am not the best to dole out advice on such matters, I try to read up on it, and help him - and who knows, maybe give myself a push to stop ruminating about the past.

Any thoughts?

coyote

Any thoughts?

it's like driving a car...

if you spend too much time looking in the rear-view mirror, you'll end up crashing into obstacles in front of you

if you want to get anywhere, you have to keep your eyes on the road ahead

Last edited:

cowboyup

it's like driving a car...

if you spend too much time looking in the rear-view mirror, you'll end up crashing into obstacles in front of you

if you want to get anywhere, you have to keep your eyes on the road ahead

had not thought of it that way. :bigsmile:

cowboyup

About a year ago my ruminations were very bad. It took up most of my life and some of my ruminations haunted me, like memories of bad things happening. Only they didn't happen, but I felt emotionally scarred by them anyway.

Now just 10 or 20 minutes a couple of times a week. The only things I think helped is to be busy until you're tired and and to be doing stuff, so that you've got stuff to think about.

There's no overnight fix. "Doing stuff" is way easier said than done. Try to catch yourself ruminating and then set yourself tasks (watching tv doesn't count, you'll just ruminate and miss the show).

Even sudoku will busy up your mind a little.

Good advice! Thanks for the suggestions :)