How Our Minds Work: What Causes Fear

SickJoke

Fear doesn't just happen for no reason. We become afraid when a thought flashes through our mind. Here's how our consciousness works to an extent:

Belief. Deep down we have our core beliefs about reality. One belief might be "people are scary." Beliefs are the hardest to change because they're driven so deep into our brains. A belief can last months, years, or a lifetime.

Mind frame. Next we have our mind frame. This is a temporary state of mind. It's a combination of our current attitude and emotional state. One mind frame might be "closed off and anxious." Our mind frame can change much easier than beliefs. A mind frame can last minutes, hours, or days.

Thought. Finally we have our thoughts. A thought might be "I hope they don't notice how scared I am." A thought can last from a tiny fraction of a second to a few seconds.

Now, there are two ways that our brains can work:

Recollection. Our brains are often recalling information and relying on old beliefs, like this:

Belief -> Mind Frame -> Thought

Our belief determines our mind frame, and our mind frame determines our thought.

For example, let's say you enter a social situation. Here's what happens:

1. You refer to your belief that "people are scary."
2. You enter the mind frame "closed off and anxious."
3. You start to think "I hope they don't notice how scared I am."

Learning. Our brains are often processing information that either enforces old beliefs or forms new beliefs, like this:

Thought -> Mind Frame -> Belief

Learning: Enforcement. During enforcement, our thought strengthens our mind frame, and our mind frame strengthens our belief.

Let's use the above situation to demonstrate this point:

1. Someone laughs and glances in your direction. You think he's making fun of you.
2. You become even more withdrawn and edgy, and your mind frame "closed off and anxious" strengthens.
3. You associate these feelings with the belief that "people are scary" and the belief becomes more powerful.

Learning: Formation. During formation, our thought changes our mind frame, and our mind frame inspires a new belief.

For example, let's say you log on to this forum and read my post "The Big Keys to Overcome Social Anxiety," linked here: http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt22820.html

1. You start to think "If I follow these guidelines, I can start to make progress."
2. You enter the mind frame "open and inspired."
3. You form a new belief "I can overcome SA."

It's up to you: do you want to enforce your negative beliefs or your positive ones? Do you want to rely only on old, self-destructive beliefs, or do you want to form new, empowering ones?

SilentType

Banned
You're a great asset to this forum. You always have great advice, but do you actually suffer from any type of anxiety? Or are you just here to help the community? Either way you're great, sometimes I just don't think you understand how difficult it is for people to change their behavior.

Changing thoughts and beliefs only do so much for people like me. When it comes to panic disorder, there is no thinking involved. Certain things just provoke panic attacks out of the blue for me. I know and believe everything you want me to, but that doesn't change the physical symptoms of what I have: panic disorder. Maybe I'm just in a different boat (which is sinking faster) than people with social phobia, but no matter how I perceive the world the physical symptoms (major panic episodes) are still there. Got any advice for people like me?

Peace

Anubis

You're a great asset to this forum. You always have great advice, but do you actually suffer from any type of anxiety? Or are you just here to help the community? Either way you're great, sometimes I just don't think you understand how difficult it is for people to change their behavior.

Good question. Sickjoke, maybe you could tell us about your life with SA? It's not that we don't believe your advice, but the gravity of your advice could probably be even more impactful if we knew you were "one of us". It's kinda like when newposter told us his story before relaying his cure for SA. It just reassured us that there was hope for all of us.

But even without that, I do like your advice. Keep it up.

Number 1

Good question. Sickjoke, maybe you could tell us about your life with SA? It's not that we don't believe your advice, but the gravity of your advice could probably be even more impactful if we knew you were "one of us". It's kinda like when newposter told us his story before relaying his cure for SA. It just reassured us that there was hope for all of us.

But even without that, I do like your advice. Keep it up.

Maybe he's really George Carlin who faked his death to help out social phobics around the world