How old is everybody?

wibbze2

I know it's not polite to ask, but as we are talking about a pretty sensitive subject anyway, thought I'd just ask how old everyone is on this forum.

It's just that, from what I've read, HH usually starts in adolescence, where as mine started at around 31/32 (I'm now 36) and I wondered if anyone else started suffering at around the same age??

Just a thought - and I thought it might be interesting to other people.

hydroman123

I'll bite. I'm 24; started developing HH at around puberty- 11 or so. Initially palmar+plantar which progressed to axillary in a few years. The severity hasn't changed much over the years.
It's a bit unusual to develop HH in your 30s. Have you ruled out secondary causes?

margiehope

Well, I'm odd person out--started displaying HH about 10 years ago, when I was 55. Various systemic and medical things were going on--menopause, a bout with cancer and radiation.

I can't imagine how rotten it must be to have this from a young age. Anyway, Avert has been such a great help to me--started using it 2 years ago.

wibbze2

hydroman123 said:
It's a bit unusual to develop HH in your 30s. Have you ruled out secondary causes?

Yeah, I thought it was a bit weird too - that's partly why I posted this thread. The only secondary cause that the docs can come up with is stress. They ask if I'm stressed, and I say "yes, because of the sweating" and they say, "no your sweating is caused by the stress".
And so the circle goes on and on...

phuonganh

I'm 23 and my hands and feet have been sweating as long as I can remember, so I was probably born with hyperhidrosis.

Fuzzy

Well I guess I'm da ol fart 'round here. I'm 52 and the first time I noticed that sweat was full on dripping down off my fingertips was at a rehearsal for my 8th grade graduation.
My hands are warm & moist as I write this but I've never really tried to get "serious" help for this because until recently, I didn't even know it was called HH or that I wasn't alone.

Argamemnon

wibbze2 said:
I know it's not polite to ask, but as we are talking about a pretty sensitive subject anyway, thought I'd just ask how old everyone is on this forum.

It's just that, from what I've read, HH usually starts in adolescence, where as mine started at around 31/32 (I'm now 36) and I wondered if anyone else started suffering at around the same age??

Just a thought - and I thought it might be interesting to other people.
Yes, me.. I'm not diagnosed with HH, and don't know if I have it, but I've been sweating excessively in the past two years. I'm 32 now..

How did you guys get diagnosed? I don't know much about HH, but I really might have it.

iDShaDoW

25 here.

Not sure when it started but I can say it started when I was around 10 or so.

4th grade at least, if not sooner.

43 here. HH Sufferer for as long as I can remember. Oddly enough, I thought I was alone with this until just recently. Just now exploring the options available. I love the internet. :D

ljwwriter

I'm 20, and I suppose the really bad sweating started for me back in junior high, right along with the severe anxiety. Sorry to say that none of it has gotten any better. But I guess it figures seeing as how the older we get the more weight of the world is placed on our shoulders.

Flatcap

I'm 40 this year and didn't start with it until my mid to late 20's.

Or at least that's when it started to become more noticeable to me anyway.

I always used to sweat a lot during sports and such but I just put this down to whatever I was doing. None of my family suffer from so I've no idea where it has come from.

Daz.

Jezza

22 now...started early puberty...however got much worse quite fast when I reached 16 and started growing a lot (ie, when I actually hit puberty physically).

Before that it was a minor inconvenience that happened to be there occasionally, nowadays it's probably the decisive factor in my life.

Jezza

22 now...started early puberty...however got much worse quite fast when I reached 16 and started growing a lot (ie, when I actually hit puberty physically).

Before that it was a minor inconvenience that happened to be there occasionally, nowadays it's probably the decisive factor in my life.

margiehope

"Argamemnon"
I'm not diagnosed with HH, and don't know if I have it, but I've been sweating excessively in the past two years. I'm 32 now..

How did you guys get diagnosed? I don't know much about HH, but I really might have it.[/quote]
I'm guessing most of us "diagnosed" ourselves. HH is excessive sweating outside of the normal reactions to stress, heat, exercise, etc.

There are some medical conditions, like hyperthyroidism, which can produce excessive perspiration. So it's probably important to see your doctor and try to rule out any of those causes first.

Dermatologists can sometimes be knowledgeable and helpful with all of this. (Mine wasn't, but oh well)

Good luck!

Aramid

I'm already 18 years old. I started suffering from hyperhidrosis since grade school. I was about 10 or 11 that time and it made a big impact in my life. I have severe facial, mild armpit/ palmar/ plantar sweating. I felt really bad since I'm a 3rd year nursing student in an excellent college. I am a dean's lister who excel in academics but due to hyperhidrosis most of the return demonstrations I'd done are hideous.

My professors say I had a lot of potential and must control my anxiety but it is not about anxiety. My hyperhidrosis is the problem. I am having a life long battle with hyperhidrosis and I know what most of you feel.