How has social anxiety affected your life?

Hello,

Here you can tell how social anxiety has affected your life.
I will first tell my story, and don't be shy, cuz Here we all understand eachother.
And I think it's good to know we're not alone in this fight.

How has social anxiety affected your life?

My life has totally changed, I was always a shy girl, but I was going out, having a good time, and i spent alot of time with my friends. I also went to school each day, and I was doing Intership, and I was about to chose my future of learning to work. But Sadly I never continued this because I stopped everything because I'm too anxious to go, I'm afraid I'll never get a diploma, and that I will find a fun job to do. and I might NEVER be able to work. This situation is really tough for me, Cuz I don't have a really social life, my parents are both in a band, so sometimes I can sing with them. That makes my life a bit more enjoyable. And I have really sweet grandparents which I visit almost every week to make some fun, walk with the dog etc.. Listen to music , and a very very rarely time I see a friend. And sometimes I get lovely mails at youtube from people who enjoy'd my videos. And sometimes I make a new friendship out of it. But I'm too anxious to see them in real life :/
But a half year ago I couldnt even get to the mailbox outside, but Now I'm not scared to do that. But like paying something at the cash desk, I feel realy scared and awkward. And school/work will be the ultimate scary place.
But over a few weeks I will get new therapy, new help.. So I hope it'll get better. But sometimes I just don't believe I will get better because it takes soooo long :/ And I'm afraid I'll be a hermit like forever. Ok sas, don't be so negative ;) But I try to make the best out of it, although sometimes I'm really a pessimist if it comes to that. But I need to learn to accept my situation, and work on it!

I hope you eventually manage to get over your problems Saskia :) ... As for myself, I find it hard to find the words to say my story. It's kind of ironic since I've been quite prolific at writing recently.

It's like there's too much to say and I've no idea where to begin without making it a novel. Hmm... I guess I'll try. Just for SA. It has made me feel like I'm really innately inferior to people. Even in a support forum like this, I still feel lower than other people. Like if they knew me with all my problems and if they're forced to work with me, they'll come to hate me even if I do my best.

It's like being judged constantly. I used to be afraid of taking buses, going to the barber... but conscription and other life experiences as well as just outright facing my fears has lessened my anxiety. I still have chronic insomnia especially when there's work because it's like putting on a mask. It's very draining to be at work or just socializing sometimes. I hate letting people down and I always seem to do that. I lack the motivation now because I've fallen one too many times, but I'll still plod along at whatever pace I can summon the energy to maintain.

IronSteel525

Well, I used to be slightly shy around new people and girls, but I'd quickly warm up, and in general was quite outgoing, lots of friends, going out with friends all the time...I was in my first semester of college (fall '91...yeah, I'm old, get off my lawn you damn kids), on top of the world, everything going great.

Then, January '92, its like a switch was flicked on, and all of a sudden I get irrationally scared around people.

As a result, I'm unemployed and attempting to get a disability and a work from home job through VESID. I've been on every antidepressant, antianxiety med ever made, with all of their rotten side effects. I'm 36, I've never left my parents' house, and I'm perpetually single, and have not had a stead girlfriend since '07.

I can be happy at times, at home or with family of course, but generally miserable and ALONE.

To sum it up, life sucks hard!!!

xxaimsxx

My life has totally changed, I was always a shy girl, but I was going out, having a good time, and i spent alot of time with my friends. I also went to school each day, and I was doing Intership, and I was about to chose my future of learning to work. But Sadly I never continued this because I stopped everything because I'm too anxious to go,

Snap fllowergirlie!
One day i just gave up on school. My education really suffered for it too.

My social anxiety has affected my life in many ways. I have 0 confidence, I have no real friends because all my old ones got fed up of me rejecting their invitations to places so they have stopped, I dont have a job. And because im not in education right now (soon will be in college though) i feel like my brain is rotting from tv and the computer.
I really do crave education and new friends but find going into a classroom full of people scares me.