How do you just do it?

timmid

For anyone who has a fear that kept them inside away from other people and have overcome it or become more comfortable with it, how did you talk yourself into just going out the door and just doing it? It could be anything, going for a run when you would normally be scared about people judging you, etc...

Richey

Ive had moments where ive overcome the anxiety and just went about my business without caring what people thought and when you get to that stage you still feel nervous but you become used to the environment of a new job or going to University/Studying...going out with a group to a restaurant for the night...the hardest thing for me is keeping a conversation going without it becoming awkward and especially when you dont know what your talking about but you feel like you need to talk just to stop the silence...extroverts seem to have this needy quality where they want everyone around them to clarify what they've said or they need the attention from everyone..not in all cases but in a group youll have the louder types and the quieter type personalities....it never gets any easier unless you keep practicing and put yourself out there more...just like learning a musical instrument it takes time and patience but you need to at least try

june

Whenever I need to do something that I can't but I know I need to or have to do, I just make myself take enough of a step that I can't take it back so I have to continue on that course. Like bringing up an uncomfortable subject, I'll say the first word and then have to continue or I'll look even more stupid. I hate running in public because guys always honk(I hate that! I feel so gross sweating and out of breath and I feel very unattractive) but once I get myself dressed and out the door I might as well buck up and finish what I set out to do.
Well I hope that helps a little. :lol:

jauggy

timmid said:
For anyone who has a fear that kept them inside away from other people and have overcome it or become more comfortable with it, how did you talk yourself into just going out the door and just doing it? It could be anything, going for a run when you would normally be scared about people judging you, etc...
Here's how I think it would work for me - Do it gradually. First start with making friends with people online. Its a lot easier than real life. That will then give you confidence so you will be more confident in the real world.

Chrysta

It's complicated. I definitly agree about making friends online. It's a great way to start out. And for other things like going out, just start slow. Go get a haircut and when your done and you realize that it was easier than you thought it would be, celebrate. Slowly put yourself out there and it will get easier. :)