How do I get my power back?

jj8

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and need advice on how to deal with a bully. In college, my roommate , in a span of 3 weeks, made my life a living hell.

Week 1: I was yelled at when I refused politely to obey her orders for something, this happened on the second day of moving in. I ended up crying in front of her(there were others too) but apologized the next day to maintain peace.She also tried instigating me against our other housemate but I did not respond.Other than the yelling and instigating, she was very friendly and we got along well.

Week 2: We were in the same class as well and she was super insecure that I would perform better than her.Once classes started she went crazy.she would walk up to me while I was studying and minding my own business and ask me a couple of questions.when I was unable to answer she would belittle and put me down with her comments and walk off.This happened on 2 occasions. She also started listening to my phone conversations and monitoring my movement in the house. Every time I would be doing something like writing, reading she would be like "what are u reading? which book is that? which chapter are u in?" . every time I bought groceries or received a package, she would go over it and ask me how much I spent etc and then of course put me down again.She would also ask deeply personal questions at times that shocked me for a sec and frequently indulged in double standards.

week 3: I was yelled at on 2 more occasions in front of others which disturbed me greatly but I still kept adjusting god knows why. I was again belittled on 2 more occasions which really made me furious.I couldn't take it anymore. College was super intense, I was 10,000 miles away from my family in a foreign country and our course was notorious for failing students. I was super stressed out, very insecure about my performance and on top of that had to deal with her putting me down all the time. I had to vent in my journal to maintain my sanity. I scribbled something about her in my journal and immediately calmed down. she noticed me writing and as usual asked me "what are u writing ?". I was dumb enough to reply that it was my diary.she was like "oh ok,no one will read it here, u can enjoy your privacy".Then, when I was out, she took out of my suitcase(it was hidden in my suitcase which was inside my closet) and read it.turns out I had referred to her as a fat pig.

All hell broke loose.she showed my diary to her boyfriend and a few others. she barked at me " If u don't like me , then why are u being nice to me".she made up a story of how a cockroach entered my closet and she was worried about my belongings and made a mess to drive out the cockroach and that's how the diary fell out!!!She also said that all the belittling comments she made at me were for my own well being. she went around calling me a dangerous psycho and started pity playing with classmates to gain support and turn everyone against me.but turns out she had misbehaved with others as well and people refused to support her. I did apologize to her for calling her such a mean name and to that she responded like as if she is a selfless martyr and I am this evil person.

I was traumatized and mortified by the fact that someone like her knew my deepest, personal thoughts.If I hadn't written something nasty about her I would have probably stood up for myself. My health and grades failed miserably after that. I felt very guilty for calling her a mean name( even though I wrote that out of anger and did not mean it at all) in my journal and making her cry for the same .she made me the bully and moved on with no remorse,guilt or shame.she finally got what she wanted, me performing badly and being humiliated in class for non performance.

1.How do I forgive myself for hurting another human being even though it was completely unintentional.Note: This is the first time I am hurting someone in my life , it is usually the other way around.

2.How do I get my power back and start living my life the way I used to do before meeting this person.

I guess you could use it as a learning experience. You seem to be a person that can keep their cool, but when you're in such a dramatic condition it's reasonable that certain things come out. I certainly don't think it's fair for you to put so much blame on yourself, without much on the person that caused all of this.

Also, people make mistakes and nobody is perfect.

P.S. Some people deserve a kick in the teeth anyway.

twiggle

I'm sorry to hear about this jj8. This girl sounds like the classic manipulator... obviously very insecure about herself and so that's why she was so interested in what you were doing so that she could find a reason to belittle it.

I don't think you should feel guilty about calling her what you did. People have a right to their own personal thoughts - it's not like you called it her to her face, or told other people that you thought she was a fat pig. You just wrote it down in a diary to help get things off your chest. You've done nothing wrong.

How do your forgive yourself? By knowing deep down that you never intended to hurt her. You didn't know she was going to read your diary, and she shouldn't have been doing so anyway. But I guess if you want to build strength and be a better person from this experience, maybe if somebody is rude to you again, don't let yourself get too upset by it and don't think negatively towards them (even though its hard)... just think about all the good people in your life, who aren't mean.

How do you get your power back? By looking back on all of this and thinking about how despite everything you learnt from it and you're moving on from it. Sounds like this girl upset a few others as well, so you're not alone. Are you still studying now? Perhaps throwing yourself into the work will ease the concern you have about your studies, and also take your mind off things.

Sorry you had to go through this.
I'm sure this girl will have a cruel shock one day when she realises how many people she has upset.

jaim38

1. she had no business reading your diary and she was in the wrong to do so. You have the right to write whatever you want in your diary, including mean things. Stick a note on your diary saying something like, "This is for my eyes only. Read it at your own risk." My old diaries have locks to them, might want to check into that.

2. Finals are coming up, so study for your tests! Do your best! If you fail your classes, think about the money you're wasting, not to mention you'll have to repeat your classes again! If you pass your classes, you'll be steps closer to graduating.

I attended a large university for 2 years, living in the dorm with 2 different roommates. I don't get too close to them. THey are very social but I am shy and socially phobic, so there's a "clash" of personalities, but thank god nothing bad happened between us. But I do my best to avoid people. Almost everyday, as soon as I get out of bed, I get out of the dorm and go somewhere else to study. I know that if I stay in the dorm for too long, tensions can flare and I suck at dealing with social conflicts. Next time, choose your roommate wisely or look into commuting to school from home.

jj8

Hello Everyone,

thanks you all for your kind and helpful replies. the incident happened a few years back and I was stuck with her for the full year due to lease( we were living off-campus). It was quite a traumatic time for me during which my health and grades failed. I somehow managed to graduate in one piece but yet to get over the shock and fear for this person. I want to know how to not fear someone like her and remove her from my thoughts completely and treat her like a non entity.

Thanks

Hoppy

Someone who read through your personal diary has no right to any apologies.

I am sorry it has happened to you, but you have nothing to be ashamed off. A diary is supposed to be about the things you experience daily and how you experienced it. ( I won't tell you how often I called my mother a stupid b behind her back, even though I love her.)

It is a few years back, it is time you get over it, have you seen a therapist?