How did you find your job you are working now?

desperatehousewife

How did you find your job you are working now?Was it difficult?In the workplace did you have adaptation problems, if yes how did you get over?Do people in your office know that you are SA?If yes, how they behave you?Did you miss a chance because of your SA?
How are you earning money althought you are SA?Is not it difficult?

alter_ego

I got my job via an application form. The job is incredibly boring, low paid and the workload is very heavy. Because of my terrible SA when I was younger (and my family being extremely poor) I never followed through what I'd really like to have done, which is either infant school teaching or working on a magazine or newspaper. Because of my SA (tho it's more anxiety nowadays because I chat to people a lot :roll: ) I passed up the chance of promotion some years ago. I live on my own and constantly struggle to make ends meet, I shop in the cheapest stores. :(

Work stresses me out more than any other aspect of my life tho occasionally it's fun and I've made some good friends. I tell people I suffer from anxiety and depression which is much more true of my problem than SA now. :)

4seasons

I put in an application and got a job right away because they where desperate. At first my job was hell. I'm a cashier so when you first start that job its all about speed and when your new theres a lot of stuff that slows you down when your learning and customers get annoyed ect... On top of that My SA was a factor to. With other employees it wasn't to bad because you rarely have a chance to be social with this job unless its a slow day, but it was hard at first introducing my self and what not. As time went on all that slowly went away now I think my job is helping a lot with my SA, its just exposure. Working will help.

Richey

through word of mouth, i just got lucky, more jobs come through word of mouth then advertising believe it or not so the more contacts you have the easier finding work becomes ..unless you spend a week phoning companies that your interested in working for ,,

when people say "jobs are hard to come by" that is rubbish, ok yeh if your only putting an hour a day and your being half arsed about it then jobs will be a challenge to find ..but why do you have a job? to earn a dollar right? ...so you dont want to be overly fussy even if its a low paid job at least you have income until you find a more ideal working scenario, thats how i see it anyway, and im aware its not easy with SA phoning up companies, but your not calling them to talk about much its just regarding your interest in finding work and that's about it, they wont judge you for that

to be honest regarding "jobs" ..

the overall concept of a job gives me a twisted ill feeling in my guts

why is that you ask?

a job is paid slavery, simple as that, unless you work for yourself and your selling your own creative work you will become a labrat to a company that means nothing to you even if you think your doing the right thing, you'll find taking days off, holidays a complete guilt trip, your overall wage is taxed waay over what it should be, you'll earn nowhere near the amount your worth for the amount of time your there, 40 hours a week is alot so you'll need an hourly wage thats worth that time and you have no control of your days at all as your lifestyle is in the hands of your employer directing you, if your late more then once you'll be dealt the wrath of a knife being stabbed into your back, unless your manager is uber cool which in that case its worth staying around for ..

what are the quirks?

you learn a new skill that interests you, you meet new people, you have an opportunity to save enough to get away and live a life that you want. maybe? ..

ghost_train

Richey said:
a job is paid slavery, simple as that, unless you work for yourself and your selling your own creative work you will become a labrat to a company that means nothing to you even if you think your doing the right thing, you'll find taking days off, holidays a complete guilt trip, your overall wage is taxed waay over what it should be, you'll earn nowhere near the amount your worth for the amount of time your there, 40 hours a week is alot so you'll need an hourly wage thats worth that time and you have no control of your days at all as your lifestyle is in the hands of your employer directing you, if your late more then once you'll be dealt the wrath of a knife being stabbed into your back, unless your manager is uber cool which in that case its worth staying around for ..

Yeah, the big industry hierarchy idea was the most offputting thing for me. The fear of becoming an unappreciated little cog in a huge machine. That and the uncertainty of what to do post-degree was one of the main factors in my decision to study dentistry. My dad always said, with regard to careers- and in contrast to his own working life- make sure it's a transferable skill and make sure you're your own boss. (These were suggestions of course, not instructions- my dad's not that bossy).

Saying that, I've got a friend who stumbled into a job (by word of mouth) working for a fairly big company. It's only very loosely related to his degree, but he absolutely loves it. It seems pretty cushy and with fair potential for progression.

I think it's probably a case of just trying things out. I wimped out early of course... (I definitely think it's the right direction for me, though) :)

PhantomPod

I am going to be starting a new job on Tuesday. I just found it on hotjobs.com. During the interview the guy said straight out, "You seem shy...." which was weird and annoying because I felt as if I was acting really friendly and outgoing. But he told me a story about a girl in the office who barely says four words a year, yet who does very well at her job and who just received some sort of award for excellence.

But yeah, I am very excited, yet nervous, about starting this new job.I am going to try to go in acting outgoing and confident. It seems like a relaxed atmosphere to work in, so I really hope that I like it.

Angel_Of_Death

Over the years, and I am not too old (24), I've had alot of jobs and my main problem has always been "keeping" the job as opposed to "getting it".

For a guy who has a pretty bad case of SP/SA, I kinda do very very well during interviews. I'm smart and express myself very well and usually leave an excellent first impression, and that not only by the way I look but also the way I talk. This is without mentioning that for the jobs I apply for I usually have the competence as well.

Whenever I go into an interview I'm always ready for the questions and the whole time I put on an "act". Acting for a short period of time is something I'm able to do in the whole interview process and even tough the anxiety is present I manage it really well. My problem starts when I actually start working and have to interact with my fellow co-workers. Around guys I'm ok I guess but around girls it's pitiful. And I usually end up quiting my jobs after a couple of months because of the SP/SA.

The last job I've got pays pretty well, around 40k a year and considering that I am getting part time soon, and able to study (going to start Uni in fall) at the same time it's a job I am desperately trying to hang onto. It's the longest job I've ever held, been almost a year already. But going in everyday is a challenge and starting to be a living hell. I'm doing full time now and should be getting a part time shift that I requested as I will really need some break but at the same time keep the job.

tjdr59

i dont have a job and i have no idea how im going to get one. cold calling companies seems absolutely impossible. i have a bfa in art so i basically wasted 5 yrs of my life now i have to find a real job. i tried applying all over the place but no one has called me back, not even subway...SUBWAY FOR GOD SAKE. I need money but can't seem to get a job. the most recent job i have had was back in 2004 while i was working at burger king. that was the only gig i wasn't fired from.