How can I push myself more?

MNM322

All my life I have struggled with follow through and persistance. I have so many great ideas of things I'd love to do in life but then it gets too hard or weird and I walk away....

part of it, is I've never had a support system. I always have felt so alone and clueless and part of it is all my life when I was afraid, I was coddled, never forced to meet fear head on so now its my natual way, to just run.... and I am tired of it

I am gonna be 31 next year and would like to do something meaningful in my lame life. How can I push myself more to do these types of things?

sullyS25

Well I think the fact that you have recognized that you need to push yourself is a good start! Maybe have a goal for every month, week or day. Whatever you feel comfortable. Don't be a perfectionist either (easier said than done). It's hard to change and push yourself to do things, I have the same problems. What doesnt help is criticizing yourself for not going outside your comfort zone enough. Praise yourself for the times you do and accept that you didn't push yourself as much as you wanted to.

You cant change completely over night and growth is a slow process so I think you should be patient with yourself....That is what I am trying to do at least!

outofthisworld

I'm same as you MNM322 I also have so many great ideas and never did anything with it because I always thought I couldn't.
So I for the 1st time pushed my self so hard to make this idea/dream come true, I knew I couldn't do it alone so what I did was I got 2 of my friends and we are finally putting this idea into a real business and it's finally coming true. We registered the company last month and found an investor and we plan to start running the business in march, it's the one thing I look forward in my life to get this working.
So my advise is if you can't do it alone, some people that have the same interest in your ideas and go for it, the only thing that can happen is not to work. but that doesn't mean that you fail. just keep trying and you will get there.
If you want to chat and share your ideas, who know they might come true :)

MNM322

Thats so great that you are getting your business going. See....I have no clue how to run a business or anything and I get too frustrated with my dyslexia so its probably not gonna happen, if I had people I trusted to go in to business with... but sadly I dont :(

truffleshuffle

All my life I have struggled with follow through and persistance. I have so many great ideas of things I'd love to do in life but then it gets too hard or weird and I walk away....

part of it, is I've never had a support system. I always have felt so alone and clueless and part of it is all my life when I was afraid, I was coddled, never forced to meet fear head on so now its my natual way, to just run.... and I am tired of it

I am gonna be 31 next year and would like to do something meaningful in my lame life. How can I push myself more to do these types of things?

I have the same problmes as you I want do something with my life badly and I seem to start things and never follow through. I have had somewhat of a support system with my mom but it has not been a strong one. It dosen;t help that My dad would tell me all the time that I was worthless,stupid, and would never amount to anything in life for most of my younger years. I think my bigest fear in life is to proving him right. I would like to push my self but even though he passed away years ago his voice is always in my head saying your worthless,stupid,and you will never amount to anything no matter what you do. Its a hard hurdle to clear so I know where your coming from

MNM322

Ya and I get that we gotta make our own way etc but I think everyone ever who has been successful in life, has had a support system of some kind and when you have nothing and feel alone.... those moments when it gets tough, you just quit because its easier without the push from others.

If only I knew how to start a business.... but I also think my dyslexia is a big problem. I get massively frustrated having to read through a bunch of stuff and just say "hell with it" and forget it. I don't even read books for fun....

mikebird

Banned
Because you're in your country, I'd load myself with a belt full of grenades, knock on the glass door of all the offices of the recruiters who prevented a perseverent applicant from working. If knocking doesn't work, just take a mallet. Ask the name of the manager / advisor you spent yor life on the phone with, being rejected. Do the rounds of all the agencies, rolling a grenade under the desk of the one who jumps up & waves. I'd make sure the messages were all received appropriately, leaving one shell for myself, and i believe the world would all be better off without middlepeople

truffleshuffle

Because you're in your country, I'd load myself with a belt full of grenades, knock on the glass door of all the offices of the recruiters who prevented a perseverent applicant from working. If knocking doesn't work, just take a mallet. Ask the name of the manager / advisor you spent yor life on the phone with, being rejected. Do the rounds of all the agencies, rolling a grenade under the desk of the one who jumps up & waves. I'd make sure the messages were all received appropriately, leaving one shell for myself, and i believe the world would all be better off without middlepeople
Um ok Rambo.

madgedc

If only I knew how to start a business.... but I also think my dyslexia is a big problem. I get massively frustrated having to read through a bunch of stuff and just say "hell with it" and forget it. I don't even read books for fun....

I'm sorry you feel so alone, I know it's so hard... People who are successful don't always have support in the beginning though- when you get out there and you believe in yourself first, support does seem to be there for you, this I can pretty much guarantee! I used to have the same issue with concentration but I have improved allot. I think the key is having the 'growth mentality'. Intelligence is not fixed, rather it is something that can be built upon- so don't beat yourself up. Start your own buisness; you can do it! Start working on your plan, do a little each day, small steps...