How assertive are you?

Felicidad

I suppose this topic has been treated before but I´m now to the point to discover this in me.
I think one of my lack of social tasks I´ve never developed is assertiveness.
Definition:
An assertive style of behavior is to interact with people while standing up for your rights. Being assertive is to one's benefit most of the time but it does not mean that one always gets what he/she wants. The result of being assertive is that

you feel good about yourself
other people know how to deal with you and there is nothing vague about dealing with you´s well known what assertiveness is, but anyway, I stick here a definition

Assertive people:

Assertive people have the following characteristics[citation needed]:

They feel free to express their feelings, thoughts, and desires.
They know their rights.
They have control over their anger. It does not mean that they repress this feeling. It means that they control it for a moment and then talk about it later in a reasoning manner.

For more information:

Assertiveness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I´m going to talk about my personal case. I´m following a cognitive-behavioural therapy and this one is helping me to know my inner and my behaviour. Recently, I have burst in anger with an old man who crashed his car on my car (ok, the old man was very nervous but he begun to say lots of bad things on me. I can´t believe it. My partner who is very assertive didn´t defended me) That´s thing annoyed me much more. (Sorry for my English, ok!) So, I sent my partner to shit. When I was to my parent´s house to see to my mother who had just gone out of the hospital, I was very nervous and my father asks me to calm and that I was very nervous. So I sent my father to the shit, too.
Some days ago, during luch time, my partner asked me a question about a topic (a normal conversation) I answered him but stopped me when I still haven´t finished the conversation to watch the ****ing TV, one and over again. He repeated the same action. So, I went to the kitchen, I took Saint Valenntine´s cake and throw it on his face.
Yesterday, I put a quote for someone in the forum who never replayed my private messages when I really was worried about him. (Ah, want to say to this person that don´t send me any more PM because I´m not going to replay them, I have just seen one aswer me (why?). Don´t bother me, please.
So as you can see I´m very far from perfection, but fortunatelly,I working on this now. I go from and extreme to the other. And I want to improve this. So, I buy a book by Olga Castenyer about assertiveness. I hope to be a better person in the future.
One thing I have learnt from Argamemnon and so I say thank you. Go away from people who mental problems. I´m not referring to the forum, I´m referring to have a friend with problems.
Now, I´m more optimist because I have discovered once of my faults. And this is the only really starting point to deal with it.

Thank you for reading all this!

Felicidad

But, are you passive, agressive or both?
My real luck is that I´m awareness that I´m both. Sometimes I can´t open my mouth to defend my rights or express my opinios, mainly with superior people. And in other occassions I burst in anger.
Anyway, in my opinion it´s a really worring lack of social skills that cause much harm to other people and in yourself, a guilty feelings.

StonedBob

I wish I could be more aggressive but I'm really passive. I have difficulty expressing anger in front of people.

Yeah, I realized (with the help of my psychologist) that I have this problem too.
I nearly never express my anger, especially with my parents. When I'm angry and I'm expressing it, I feel terrible after (especially with my parents again), feeling guilty, I want to cry (I'm a bit ashamed to say this but it's the truth).
My psychologist helps me to understand that beeing angry is something normal, necessary to defend yourself when someone is making fun of you, etc...
In her opinion, it's possible that my lack of anger (at least the fact I'm expressing it rarely) may be one of the reasons of my SA.

Felicidad

I wish I could be more aggressive but I'm really passive. I have difficulty expressing anger in front of people.

Are you passive all the time, even with closed people?
OK. I´m reading a book about this. And in these book Olga Castenyer says that both passive and agressive non-assrtive people could be develop in Social Anxiety or Social Phobia, and that both kinds of people have a low self-steem, because they feel the necessity for others aproval.
Sorry for my English.
If this topic interest you and the other members in the forum. To be continued.
When I read the book.

Felicidad

Yeah, I realized (with the help of my psychologist) that I have this problem too.
I nearly never express my anger, especially with my parents. When I'm angry and I'm expressing it, I feel terrible after (especially with my parents again), feeling guilty, I want to cry (I'm a bit ashamed to say this but it's the truth).
My psychologist helps me to understand that beeing angry is something normal, necessary to defend yourself when someone is making fun of you, etc...
In her opinion, it's possible that my lack of anger (at least the fact I'm expressing it rarely) may be one of the reasons of my SA.

In my opinion, express anger and defend your rights are very different.

Anger: non-assertive person
defend your rights with confident= assertive people.
Fortunatelly, you know this problem and you cal solve.

StonedBob

In my opinion, express anger and defend your rights are very different.

Anger: non-assertive person
defend your rights with confident= assertive people.
Fortunatelly, you know this problem and you cal solve.

You're right, in most cases, anger and defend your rights with confident are two things different. But in my case, when I'm talking about anger, it's in situations where defend your rights with confident isn't possible, situations where I have to express anger (e.g. : when someone shout at me, etc...).