How are you with distributing responsibility?

Obstacle 1

I am thinking more in a workplace setting. I work in Admin, I have a pretty general position so nobody really works 'under' me as such and I have pretty much all of my own work. But today I had to delegate some work to the new girl that started a couple of months ago.

Delegating work, and ensuring that someone does it.. when I am faced with this I fall apart. I pretty much mumbled my way through it with lots of umms and ahhs, no assertiveness whatsoever and I found it hard to "tell her what to do". It didn't help that she isn't exactly the most emotive person ever, pretty much "yep" no joking around, very confident. And then to follow up that she is actually doing it and properly, bah.. basically I thought if I want to move up to any position of 'stature' eventually and delegate anything important I would have to get over the fear. But my fear of upsetting anyone really stops me from being assertive, it is like I can't put anyone in their place.

So I thought maybe some people on here have dealt with this and persevered and maybe want to share their experiences :D

slowmotiondaydream

at the end of the day you gotta do what you gotta do eliminating peoples emotions, because once someone above you made have had an encounter making someone feel inferior and not caring. you knwo yourself you wouldnt personally want to crush someones emotion. but at the same time have a strict persona. i like my supervisor can take order of the place and yet keep it 'friendly'
nonetheless. i get it too when someone tells me to say something to someone else. but im getting better at it from how i see my supervisor as being.

SilverFire

I'm not respected by folks, so I don't get to delegate. That suits me fine. I don't care for feeling like I'm over somebody or I'm their boss, anyways.