How am I feeling?

Man on the Moon

I woke up feeling depressed. I really don't know where my life is heading. It feels very stagnant at the moment. I am very unsatisfied with my job, my living condition, and my social life. I wish I could take action. I think it's the fear that is hindering my progress. The fear of what to do next. Maybe I'm not ready for the next step? I'm not sure.

I graduated from UC Davis with a Film Studies degree last December. And ever since my sophomore year, I dreamed of moving to New York. Now that I'm here I don't know what to make of it. I am proud of myself for making this huge step and actually making my goal a reality...

I've been living in New York for six months now. Ticking at seven come August. Yesterday my dad suggested that I move back to California. I considered it, but I feel like if I do cop out, then my time here would have been a waste - which includes the time I spent thinking about moving here. Besides, because I've been thinking about moving here for so long, I want to stick with it.

Currently, I am at a dead end job. There is no future for me at this company. I have been working here for four months and it has become apparent to me that I will never become a full time employee. I feel like they are content with only having me as a temp, which frustrates me because I feel used. As a temp, I don't receive any benefits and I am paid ridiculously lower than what I can be making. I want to quit, but I don't have the balls yet to do so. Usually when I don't like my situation, I am motivated to change, but my present circumstance here? I don't know, maybe something is telling me to be patient. I have always hated feeling hopeful.

I can't really complain about my living situation. I get free room and my uncle and his family really takes care of me. He said to me that he won't let me move out until I find a full time job. At least I know they care. My only grumble is that the commute to my work is an hour and a half. Back and forth that is three hours...every day. That is ****ing draining me.

I wish I had the time to be social. I wish I could meet new people. But given my long hours at work and my commuting, I am too exhausted to do anything at the end of the day. I don't know why girls are so hard to come by. Meeting girls in college was so easy. Now I don't even know where to start. I'm in a big city - I don't hardly know anybody and I'm feeling very lonely. You can only do so much to mask the loneliness. Eventually though, it will catch up to you and all you can do is hope for the best (there's that hope again...damn).

Last edited:

Man on the Moon

I want to be understood. I wish I knew how I can be myself with any one person. Have you ever had to be somebody else with one group of people? And a different person with another group? I feel like such a phony. In the back of my mind, I am telling myself, "This is not me. How can I break this character and start being like the real me?"

Man on the Moon

The man I see in the mirror

I am motivated to write when life has completely overwhelmed me. In my day to day life, I am what you call an introvert. I tend to figure out my problems, issues, and of the world internally. People often ask me if there is something wrong...There are many things wrong, and where should I begin?

Sometimes I wonder if I was dealt a bad hand in life. But no, that is too easy of a scapegoat. I think I make my own life harder than it really is.
The problem of course is that I lack life experience. I am fearful of the world. Sure, every day I can wake up and put on a bold face, but inside I am cowering. My ego has been hurt too many times in the past. I can emotionally collapse any second. I am too fragile to stand. So I go about taking the safe route. Never having confrontations. Never really standing up for myself. Never facing reality.
Obviously, I would never admit this to anyone in real life. Why should I be labeled as the p*ssy? When I can walk around like a man with no weaknesses? You see, I don't have the courage to put on my real mask. I am like a stray kitten on a thunderous rainy day sheltered in a cardboard box. The only difference is that I can pretend that I am not.

Feathers

WOW! You graduated with a film degree!! You're in NY!! You have free room!! :)

Well, can you use time on commute for something interesting and/or productive?
I used to loove commute time cause I could read books or magazines on the train in peace...
You could also download mp3 audio books or podcasts or other things of interest...
Any interesting people on the commute too?

Can you search for a more full-time job meanwhile? Maybe online, and apply for jobs?
Or work on a script or a film or a few, if that is your interest?
What was the purpose of coming to NY?

California sounds good too... Lots of possibilities there too, I guess...

3 hours commute a day can be tiring yeah, plus it may take up to a year to get used to a job, it might help to join a gym or such... Or maybe some clubs/orgs where you could meet like-minded and interesting people?

You may also have the 'after-college/uni' crisis or 'life-quarter crisis' or what-is-it-called? Twiggle googled it up on Wikipedia the other day... I had it too.. and many others as well... When you look around and you're almost 25, and your life is not as expected or as you'd like it to be...

Anyway, nice to see another journal-type-of-thread! And more creative people on the forums!

Man on the Moon

Thanks for the encouragement Feathers. I may just be freaking out because I don't know what I want out of life right now. I want to be film director, but at the moment I know I can't be that person because I have other stronger needs that I wish to fulfill.
New York is a big ****ing city. I want to make friends here. I want to love someone. I want to at least have one night where I can say to myself, "That was totally worth it!" I know I can give myself all these things - it will just take time.

On a side note, I did have my quarter-life crisis years ago. When I turned twenty-one I actually broke down. I don't know why. I panicked. I never thought I would be twenty-one so soon. I was unsatisfied with my love-life, and my college life. Looking back though, I can now safely say, "Yeah my love-life and college life stunk!" I have no baggages though. I moved on.

Man on the Moon

New Habits this week

This week I am quitting my job. I've been dragging my ass across town to come work for this company. For four months, I've been a temp without any progress for future growth. The company is content with only having me on as a temp...so why stick around? Sure the people are friendly, but there are friendly people elsewhere. Quitting this job will be a huge burden off my chest.

I hope I actually have the balls to go through with it...

Man on the Moon

Love on a Sunset Part 1

Today I am reminded of the song: Love on a Sunset Part 1. It's amazing how a day can just slip by. One of my worst fears would be to wake up one day and feel like my whole life was just a blur. I do have the tendency to think too much about my past and too much about my future. I am trying to get in the habit of thinking and staying in the present, but I don't know how. Who would have thought I would be twenty-four so soon?

‪Phoenix - Love Like A Sunset (timelapse)‬‏ - YouTube

Man on the Moon

Love

Why must finding love be so complicated for me? Am I not supposed to search for it? Should I let it just come to me? What does that even mean? How can love find you when you least expect it? I see people walking hand in hand on the streets. Happy couples. And I ask myself, "Why not me?" I can be loved. I can give love. So why not me?

Purplepixies

I want to be understood. I wish I knew how I can be myself with any one person. Have you ever had to be somebody else with one group of people? And a different person with another group? I feel like such a phony. In the back of my mind, I am telling myself, "This is not me. How can I break this character and start being like the real me?"

AH You again! I'm not a stalker I swear lol! It's just your topics are interesting.
I say meet people like you. You need to learn where to find these people. Then you can be yourself and feel comfortable in your own skin. Any Interests you have? Go to places where you find these and you will surely find other people who share your passions.
It's what I do. :D

Man on the Moon

Last Tuesday I told my company that I was leaving. I feel fortunate that I am in a position where I can leave a job. I have another job lined up, so at the moment I feel satisfied.

Man on the Moon

What success means to me

Tomorrow I will be looking at apartments in Astoria, which is more west of where I currently live. It is by subway, just 30 minutes away from Manhattan.
To me, Manhattan equals success. Of course, Manhattan is divided by many parts. The better parts, Park Ave. (the New York Beverly Hills) is the place to shoot for. But since I am currently just an outsider (living in Queens), I haven't even entered the game yet. I am still, slowly but surely making my way closer to my dream living place.

One day I hope to wake up, look out my 10 feet window and have a gorgeous view of Central Park. But in the mean time, I can only dream.

Man on the Moon

All about attitude

It's amazing to me how much a difference can make when you a positive attitude. I've been feeling quite optimistic today. I was happier, more cheerful, and as a result more in tune with people. I was able to relate and reach a comfort zone with the people I came in contact with today. I feel very high and the horizon seems limitless. Of course, my problem is that I am either way too high or way too low. But hey, when I'm feeling high, why not enjoy every second of it? I'm sure sooner or later, I will come down and feel the nasty end of that euphoric sensation. In the mean time, I'm optimistic (for no reason). Ahhh..‪APACHE DANCE - HASAN BABA‬‏ - YouTube