Hi, I'm new

tpdarlo

Hello all,

I've made some recent changes in my life that have really prompted me to make a serious effort at tackling my social anxiety. For the past couple of years I've known I've had a disorder and before this time I thought I was just alternative and introverted. When I look back on my life I see evidence of social anxiety throughout and social anxiety strongly influencing my life choices as far as career, relationships and family. Now at the age of 23 I feel more than ever an immediacy to overcome my problem.

I lived on my own in Glebe, Sydney for 2 years and now live with some friends in Darlinghurst. I think this change has prompted my recent decision to see a psychologist, which I have my first appointment with this Friday. This will be the first time I've sought professional help and I see it as the only way forward as my attempts at self-help haven't worked.

Hopefully I can contribute to some conversations on here and perhaps meet some of you in person eventually.

Regards,
Tom

blonderedhead

Well hello there! And welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. And also, that's really great that you've sought out help. I hope everything goes good for you! :wink:

tpdarlo

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Diluted_Acid said:
Nice work Tom. Just curious but how did you meet those friends and how do you find you get along with them?

I meet one of my housemates through my course at uni and my other housemate is an old friend of his. I get along with them fairly well, like most people, but again I often feel anxious around them, even around my uni friend I've known for 5 years. His friend is quite opinionated and I tend to avoid talking about contentious issues with him. Most conversations are short and halting anyway, such as when we watch TV or eat food together etc. I think it's an important step for me though.

tired88

Hey Tom,

well done on posting your situation, I hope the appointment went well for you. Taking the first step is probably the biggest challenge.

Like you, I have come to the stage where I've realised enough is enough. I'm 19, and I can only imagine that things will get worse if I don't do something. I had two shockers of social moments at uni today that have left me pretty down, but have also sharpened my resolve to get help.

The Sherlock Holmes in me deduces that you might have studied at Sydney Uni, given where you're living. I study there now! I live out in the south-eastern suburbs, however.