HH Excuses n Decoys (Squirrel!)

HH Assassin

How do you guys play it off when someone notices your hands or feet or whatever are sweaty? Or let's say someone goes to shake your hand or give a hi-five? What DO you DO?

When I feel a handshake of some kind coming on, of course I'd try to wipe 'em on my jeans or something but I would also try to reach for a cold drink...as a decoy...not sure if this really worked or if I fooled anyone but anyways, it made ME feel better.

Also whenever someone tries to give me a hi-five (usually because I'm a smart alec and I just made some kind of snide remark -- bad trait to have when you have HH) I would give a pound instead and be like "Cali style." haha It's totally stupid but anyways it works.

What other kind of excuses or decoys do you guys use?

Mr_Drips

I've done the fist pound thing, but I never thought of using a drink as an excuse...good one.

Last edited:

Sprawling

That's a tough one. Pretend to sneeze, as the hand goes up? Sometimes you just have to go along with the gesture and hope for the best. I f anyone comments on the sweat it gives you the opportunity to explain, briefly about HH. It's amazing how understanding people will be. I found out through the years once some has shook my sweaty palms, they seemed to avoid doing it with me in the future.

Back in the 70's I had no idea what we had (HH) or how to explain it to anyone. Life was pure living hell for me and my soaking hands.

SweatParty

Definitely try to wipe on jeans or in pockets, but when sweating fully, that barely does anything.

Last week I was talking to a co-worker about work stuff, and he suddenly told me I was doing a good job and put his hand out to shake. I didn't expect it at all, and I was kinda sweaty and cold from the sweat, but not completely dripping, so it wasn't the worst handshake.

Holding a drink is a good tactic, especially at bars, because you can often just "cheers" someone's glass or beer bottle instead of shaking. Also if I'm sitting at a bar, I'll wipe my hand on the cocktail napkins while I'm drinking. Sometimes the combination of holding the cold drink and wiping the hand on the napkin makes it quite a bit drier. Then after a few drinks, I often stop sweating anyway. Makes me wonder about the mental effects of sweating. The only thing I'm really ever nervous about is having sweaty hands and people noticing. I'm not nervous about talking to anyone as long as I knew I wouldn't sweat. But still somehow the alcohol definitely helps to prevent the sweating altogether.

dpr

I do the fist pump thing too (some people call it "props" here) so when they come in for the shake, I put out my fist and say, "I better give you props... sweaty hands."

I actually did this with a girl once, and she told me that her boyfriend also has sweaty hands all the time. We talked about it a bit, and I told her it's called HH and what not. That one time, it actually served as a conversation starter lol.. who knew?

Rexus

Definitely try to wipe on jeans or in pockets, but when sweating fully, that barely does anything.

Last week I was talking to a co-worker about work stuff, and he suddenly told me I was doing a good job and put his hand out to shake. I didn't expect it at all, and I was kinda sweaty and cold from the sweat, but not completely dripping, so it wasn't the worst handshake.

Holding a drink is a good tactic, especially at bars, because you can often just "cheers" someone's glass or beer bottle instead of shaking. Also if I'm sitting at a bar, I'll wipe my hand on the cocktail napkins while I'm drinking. Sometimes the combination of holding the cold drink and wiping the hand on the napkin makes it quite a bit drier. Then after a few drinks, I often stop sweating anyway. Makes me wonder about the mental effects of sweating. The only thing I'm really ever nervous about is having sweaty hands and people noticing. I'm not nervous about talking to anyone as long as I knew I wouldn't sweat. But still somehow the alcohol definitely helps to prevent the sweating altogether.

That's what i love about alcohol. it just stops the sweating. i think it's because it acts as a diuretic and u pee a lot.

HH Assassin

But still somehow the alcohol definitely helps to prevent the sweating altogether.

Check this out:

"Most medical experts believe that one of the major causes of Hyperhidrosis is an overactive sympathetic nervous system... In primary Hyperhidrosis the nerve pathways become over-stimulated and the sweat glands produce more moisture than necessary for decreasing the body temperature."
(Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System - One of the Major Causes of Excessive Sweating)

This is interesting because:

"Alcohol affects the nervous system by stamping down the signals between the spinal chord, nerve system and the brain. The alcohol is absorbed by the blood which results into the slaking of the nerve tissues and they become totally numb when in this state of 'drunkenness'."
(How does Alcohol Affect the Nervous System)

So alcohol impairs the nervous system in some way...and the nervous system is the big enemy to us HH sufferers according to "most medical experts".

Verrrrry interesting...also alcohol dehydrates your body...which is kind of, like, what we're going for here...

AND it thins the blood...not sure what relation this has to sweating but I do recall some recommending to drink vinegar to reduce sweating. Vinegar also thins the blood.

So I imagine if there are any alcoholic HH sufferers out there (that can make sense of this post) they must be happy about where this info seems to be leading...:D Science is behind you, my friends. Science is behind you...

gg1101

I just obnoxiously rub my sweaty forehead in their face while holding them down and saying, "you like that! dont you, bitch!?!?"

I do the cold drink thing a lot...I always carry a water bottle with me to keep hydrated, and sometimes I'll put ice in it just to make condensation for decoy purposes. I like the fist bump thing and have only really started doing it, but obviously that's not gonna work in a lot of professional settings, where handshakes often occur. Once, I was being introduced to a new employee in my small department at work, and I didn't shake her hand, saying, "Ugh, I am so sick with a cold--don't want to give you my germs." I think I was sort of ill at the time, but more than anything, I just didn't want to shake hands.

Spontaneous handshakes are the bane of my existence!

SweatParty

Check this out:

"Most medical experts believe that one of the major causes of Hyperhidrosis is an overactive sympathetic nervous system... In primary Hyperhidrosis the nerve pathways become over-stimulated and the sweat glands produce more moisture than necessary for decreasing the body temperature."
(Overactive Sympathetic Nervous System - One of the Major Causes of Excessive Sweating)

This is interesting because:

"Alcohol affects the nervous system by stamping down the signals between the spinal chord, nerve system and the brain. The alcohol is absorbed by the blood which results into the slaking of the nerve tissues and they become totally numb when in this state of 'drunkenness'."
(How does Alcohol Affect the Nervous System)

So alcohol impairs the nervous system in some way...and the nervous system is the big enemy to us HH sufferers according to "most medical experts".

Verrrrry interesting...also alcohol dehydrates your body...which is kind of, like, what we're going for here...

AND it thins the blood...not sure what relation this has to sweating but I do recall some recommending to drink vinegar to reduce sweating. Vinegar also thins the blood.

So I imagine if there are any alcoholic HH sufferers out there (that can make sense of this post) they must be happy about where this info seems to be leading...:D Science is behind you, my friends. Science is behind you...

It is kinda sad but sometimes I drink to try to stop my sweating. There was one really hot day when I was going to meet some friends at a bar so I drank like 2 or 3 beers on my own before meeting them to try to alleviate the sweat. Last week I walked into a bar with very cold dripping hands, had to shake 2 friends hands right away which was pretty nasty. 3 hours and maybe 4 beers later, I was completely dry and held a girl's hand and kissed it as I was saying bye to her.

It doesn't always work fully, of course.

tarns83

I just obnoxiously rub my sweaty forehead in their face while holding them down and saying, "you like that! dont you, bitch!?!?"
Bwahaha!

This thread cracks me up 'cos I've found little ways over the years of hiding my sweaty hands. Have definitely done the fist pump thing, holding a cold drink and wiping my palms on my pants before shaking someone's hand.

During situations where I know a handshake is inevitable (like a job interview..) I'll hold a few tissues or a hanky in my hands, faking that I'm getting over a cold or something - when really, its just to take some of the sweat off my hands!

As part of my police training, we had to do a fingerprinting course which was an absolute nightmare. Having to hold someone else's hand to fingerprint them while mine were clammy was soo embarassing. So glad that's over and done with!

Rexus

i don't really need an excuse anymore i just tell them the truth. it's inherited/genetic and i am what i am. gives you confidence

Sprawling

I think holding the cold drink is universal for us HH'ers. I think I got HH at about age 6 and it was torture in school when they made you hold hands. Kids can be mean and we learn how to become self conscious very early in life. As an adult it's easier just to explain to people beforehand. I'm amazed at how accepting people can be of HH once they are informed.

hyperxtechie

For friends or friends of friends (male), I just give them "daps" - kinda like a handshake, & let them know my hands are sweating. Usually they just pay no attention & be like "ok". Sometimes it's awkward but I got used to it.

For females, I just give them a hug ;) (they tend to like it better). Sometimes I use a hug, but sometimes for total stranger females I first get introduced to (where a hug would be awkward), I bite the bullet and say **** it!