Hey I'm new...and very new to the whole forum thing

I decided that I should probably introduce myself. I feel weird admitting this, but I have not been a member of an online message board (if that's even what it's called) since I was in middle school around 2001. Back then it was just me and some online friends role-playing and whatnot, but when I got to high school I just stopped. I would say I have pretty moderate to severe Social Anxiety. When I was younger I became overweight and was taunted incessantly for it, and as a result I withdrew from many social situations in favor of playing video games. I had friends, but I tended to keep to myself unless someone else spoke to me first. It was a pretty weird time for me because at the same time I gained all of the weight I realized that I was attracted to members of the same sex as well. This wasn't something I understood or wanted to talk about so it forced me to withdraw even more.

When I got to high school I became determined to lose all of the weight and did so in my sophomore year. By my junior year I found the courage to come out of the closet and had my first boyfriend. During this time period and the years following I grew in confidence because I was finally considered to be physically attractive by my peers. I worked a number of part-time jobs and was able to make new friends pretty easily for the most part. After I graduated high school some of the issues started coming back to haunt me. I had a tendency to push everyone away from myself because of my insecurities. If I had acne, in my mind I was unworthy of any friendship or kindness and I would say things to hurt others just so they wouldn't be able to get close enough to see my imperfections. I realize now that those were irrational fears that caused my behavior, but they still occur to this day although I'm a lot better at rationalizing them.

So a few months into college I sunk into a deep depression. I have had on and off depression for most of my life, but this time it caused me to end up in a fight with my stepfather and I decided to quit school and move in with my friend in a nearby city. I was working three jobs and my schedule was the opposite of a normal one. I don't know why I'm sharing this, but I figure I might as well be honest. I was a male dancer/performer at a nightclub for a while and I also cleaned a company from 4-10 a.m. My third job was mostly odd jobs given to me by the same employer. Eventually I developed horrible insomnia to the point where I was not sleeping for days. I couldn't sleep at all until I reached the point of utter exhaustion and I would pass out for an hour or two. It was so bad that I started developing ulcers and nothing I tried was working to help me.

I never wanted to try medication, but here I was, a 21 year old guy and I was bawling uncontrollably on my way to each job and thinking about suicide obsessively. Eventually I quit the dancing and the odd jobs to try and get myself sorted out. I was referred to a psychiatrist because my doctor didn't know what else to do. They started trying different antidepressants on me...Zoloft made me overly-stimulated to where I felt like I had just injected caffeine into my eyeballs, so obviously a no-go for insomnia. Effexor made my appetite disappear altogether and when I was attempting to eat dinner with my family I barfed on the table. I was close to just dealing with never sleeping for the rest of my life until the psychiatrist prescribed me Remeron and Klonopin.

They were my miracle combination! The first night I took them, I slept 18 hours. At the time I figured that it was just my body making up for all of the sleep I had lost. Unfortunately, it seemed that whenever I slept it was for at least 10 hours and more than likely 12+. Compared to the hell I went through before the meds I decided I would rather deal with sleeping too much and stayed on them. Well throughout the years the psychiatrists increased my dosages quite a bit. I was taking 45 mg of Remeron and 3 mg of klonopin a day at one point and I became a real-life zombie. I smoked weed from time to time, I wasn't an everyday user, but I had begun to think that it had made me permanently stupid. I always felt like I was in a haze and it became difficult for me to be around anyone who didn't smoke weed because I was so slow I couldn't even put a sentence together. My memory was good for about five seconds and my memories of the distant past hardly existed. I decided to stop taking them...HUGE. MISTAKE.

I quickly realized that the medications were now a part of my brain because without them I couldn't speak without my jaw quivering, my entire body began having spasms, I felt electrical zaps in my brain, I couldn't stop sweating and soaked through all of my clothes, I felt TERRIFIED, the most terrified I had ever felt in my entire life until that moment. I always thought panic attacks were just people being overly dramatic and craving attention, but I was dead wrong. I experienced my first panic attack ever and I legitimately thought that I was dying. When I reinstated the meds and told my psychiatrist about what I experienced, he just seemed apathetic and made me feel like I was severely mentally unstable. Hey, it was his job I suppose, but I never dreamed about cutting off peoples' skin and fashioning myself a cute pair of ugg boots (JOKE). I only went to a psychiatrist because I was out of options and totally desperate. He tried to tell me it was just my underlying anxiety coming back, but I had never in my life experienced anxiety that caused me to fear I was actually dying at that very moment. If anything I had been more depressed. He told me they went hand-in-hand. I believed him because he was a doctor, but looking back on it I know he just needed to keep making money.

So basically these meds ruled my life. I forgot to bring them with me when I traveled a few times and it resulted in the horrible tremors and sweats and terrors every time. I ended up making a fool of myself on a few occasions which I'll leave out since this is already pretty lengthy, but it cost me a job, opportunities for higher education, and countless other things as well. I totaled two cars in two years with no record of car accidents prior to taking the meds, and the second accident left me with severe nerve damage to my left arm. After the second accident I decided to quit klonopin altogether after tapering and I did it with success, but it has been hell. I now have terrible social anxiety and it's difficult for me to go anywhere. I go to a commuter college twice a week, but I don't have friends anymore. I don't work. I don't do anything because I'm so afraid to go out into public and I live in my parent's basement. I should also mention that remeron caused me to gain 40 lbs. and because of that the self-confidence I used to have is long-gone. I tried to go off of remeron shortly after klonopin, but it proved to be too difficult to manage. By the seventh day I had three major panic attacks in public and it caused me to reinstate once more. Now I'm just biding my time until the winter semester is over and my classes are finished so that I can get off of it for good...I just have to figure out how to cope with the anxiety that's sure to follow. And that is why I have joined SocialPhobiaWorld, in a nutshell! (Clearly a Coco de Mer nut since that was a veryyyyy long post)

Note: I initially posted this as a reply to the first thread. I quickly figured out it belongs here!

Odo

Banned
I read that entire post. You are a perfect example of why the American health care system is so terrifying to me... it IS a business and it's worse than MacDonald's and possibly the tobacco industry in terms of making people sick for profit.

I can't believe a doctor would do that to you. I can't believe that employers force people to work ****ed up hours. I can't believe that people without educations... or even WITH educations are forced to take multiple jobs to just barely survive, and then it ends up wrecking their lives.

Welcome to the forum... hope you can find some degree of support here.

Thank you for actually reading the entire thing! I went back and looked at it after I posted and I was like...there is NO WAY anyone's going to actually read all of that. But someone has proven me wrong! I like this place already :thumbup:

America is a pretty nonsensical place. When I try to talk to most people about what I've gone through here they just kind of shrug and tell me "that's life," or something to that effect. The health care system is one huge business and I hate to say it, but I will never trust another so-called medical professional who wants to give me drugs. Where are you from, Odo?

singing-love

Wow, (yes i did read it all), thank you for sharing with us, what you have been going through is dreadful! I can't believe a "medical professional" would do that to you, that's awful.

Welcome to the forum :)

I hope you find what your looking for here :)

Scandic123

Hi, and welcome!

You sure went through a lot, and what a stupid doctor, really. I hope you'll find the help and support you need on the forum.

MikeyC

Read your whole post. What a huge experience you've had - not all good, but all interesting.

Once the semester is over, hopefully you can start getting your confidence back. :) Welcome to the forum, mate!

Steiner

Greetings.

Yes I know those brain zaps you were talking about. I got them when I quit Zoloft cold turkey. Though I quit all of my drugs cold turkey. The medical system here is garbage. They either want you to keep coming in or to drop-dead in a gutter somewhere. Of course let's turn death into a money-making affair. Buy a coffin etc etc.

Thanks for your responses and actually taking the time to read my post everyone! It feels really good to know I can share my experience and you're taking the time to read and acknowledge what I've gone through. Sometimes in real life I feel like telling someone about this stuff is the equivalent of :kickingmyself:

SteinerOfThule, I am glad I didn't continue on with the Zoloft. I was lucky that I knew a few people who had been prescribed that med and experienced the horrible withdrawal symptoms. How many meds did they prescribe you before you finally quit them altogether? It's deplorable what they do. Make you feel like there is a genuine problem with your behavior and medicate you with things that they have to know harbor the potential for physical dependence. The worst part is that they tell you that if you have any issues with your medication to talk to your doctor, but the doctors don't seem want to acknowledge your problems unless you're shaking a stack of bills in their faces.

Hi backandforth.

That's quite a story. I can relate to a lot of what you posted. I'm sorry you've had such a rough time. The whole ordeal with the meds is pretty scary and makes you wonder, if you can't trust the doctors here, how are you supposed to get real help for health issues?

I hope you are able to find something here that helps you in some way, even it's as small as connecting with others who know what you're going through because they live it, too.

Thanks Opaline! That's exactly why I joined. It gets tough being unable to talk with anyone openly about these things. For a long time I wrote in a journal because I was afraid to be judged by others, but it's definitely not the same as sharing with real people who actually listen and provide some feedback. I can't tell you and everyone else how much I appreciate that. I've been keeping everything to myself for way too long.

Steiner

Thanks for your responses and actually taking the time to read my post everyone! It feels really good to know I can share my experience and you're taking the time to read and acknowledge what I've gone through. Sometimes in real life I feel like telling someone about this stuff is the equivalent of :kickingmyself:

SteinerOfThule, I am glad I didn't continue on with the Zoloft. I was lucky that I knew a few people who had been prescribed that med and experienced the horrible withdrawal symptoms. How many meds did they prescribe you before you finally quit them altogether? It's deplorable what they do. Make you feel like there is a genuine problem with your behavior and medicate you with things that they have to know harbor the potential for physical dependence. The worst part is that they tell you that if you have any issues with your medication to talk to your doctor, but the doctors don't seem want to acknowledge your problems unless you're shaking a stack of bills in their faces.

Well I have gone through, not a lot but some. I kind of want meds to work though. I haven't given up on them. I have tried paxil zoloft klonopin,respiridal,lexapro. I feel like there was one other but I can't remember. None really helped. I quit them all cold-turkey because I didn't feel any better while on them. If anything they made me more depressed because they did nothing.

Yeah they tend to not care. Like at all. They want their money and then they want you to get out so the next person can come in and hand them another wad of cash.