Helping someone

zx123

Hi,
i think my sister has got Avoidant Personality Disorder,
she hasnt gone outside of the house for about 3 years now,the last time she went out was when my granmother died,though she hadnt gone out for years before that.

All she does is stay in the house all the time,watching television and she never sees anybody outside of the family.

she dosnt to try to get any help like seeing the doctor she just rellies on other people to get her shopping and cigarettes and things.

Does this sound like Avoidant Personality Disorder?
What is the best way to help somebody like this?

It effects the other members of the family,and it is upseting to see someone wasting their life.

I know this is upseting for my mother,because she dosnt know how to help my sister,

I would be gratefull for any help or suggestions of how i could help my sister,

thanks

philly2bits

I'm not a doctor and I don't have all the facts but it could be Agoraphobia or maybe deep depression.

The first step would be up front with her about it. Maybe ask her if she feels she has a problem. Some people are perfectly content with never leaving the house or doing anything social and they don't see it as wasting there life.

If she doesn't feel it's a problem, you should still bring up the fact other people can not take care of her forever. It will only get harder to solve the problem as time goes on. The more time that goes by the harder it will be for her to take care of herself should anything happen to who takes care of her. Even though bringing up the subject of her getting out and doing more may cause troubles in the family right now, it's far better then waiting too long and have the problem build to such a point it's near impossible to overcome.

lyricalliaisons

I agree with everything philly2bits said. It sounds more like agoraphobia than AvPD. Though it could still be AvPD, or even severe social anxiety.