Hello..

Izumi

I hope things get better Izumi, hang in there. All of us are here if you ever want to talk about anything. :)
Srijita, thank you.:) when i was reading a book on a bookstore, i was laughed by group of some teenagers today. i think it is because i am short height and a little fat. most of jpn people are thin.(i dont like)

Srijita52

Srijita, thank you.:) when i was reading a book on a bookstore, i was laughed by group of some teenagers today. i think it is because i am short height and a little fat. most of jpn people are thin.(i dont like)
I'm sorry, but don't let them get to you. Just because you're not skinny, doesn't mean you're not beautiful, I'm sure you're very pretty. :)

cowboyup

I am sorry that happened to you, Izumi. just because you may not be like others, that is no excuse for those girls' behavior. I am sure you are a beautiful woman inside AND outside. :)

For what it's worth, I've been teased for the opposite - being too thin and looking sickly at times - plus I have terrible dark circles around my eyes that made it worse. Since then, I've gained enough weight to look "more normal"

Izumi

I am sorry that happened to you, Izumi. just because you may not be like others, that is no excuse for those girls' behavior. I am sure you are a beautiful woman inside AND outside. :)

For what it's worth, I've been teased for the opposite - being too thin and looking sickly at times - plus I have terrible dark circles around my eyes that made it worse. Since then, I've gained enough weight to look "more normal"
thank you cowboyup. in my country, people think thin person is normal. my mother and sister also are thin. so, they will often say to losing weight by dieting to me;( i do not care , but my mom abnormally care about proportion and worry too much about what other people think since when i was a small child. her behavior will often change one by one in front of various persons. is this phenomenon only in japan?

vitalis

thank you cowboyup. in my country, people think thin person is normal. my mother and sister also are thin. so, they will often say to losing weight by dieting to me;( i do not care , but my mom abnormally care about proportion and worry too much about what other people think since when i was a small child. her behavior will often change one by one in front of various persons. is this phenomenon only in japan?

Well, here in South Europe there is also this social pressure on being thin and frequent eating disorders derive from this behavior, specially at young ages. But then you get out the street and find that most of the people is not precisely thin, so unless someone suffers from severe obesity (that is a medical and not just a physical condition), people simply don't bother.

Another point to take into account however would be the cultural. I have never meet any Japanese nor know much about your culture other than what I've seen on TV (so correct me if I'm mistaken, please), but at least we have the vision of Japan as a a very competitive society. It was among the first countries in the world when fertility fell and people began to have a single child and thus increased the amount of pressure children received from their parents, so this may be a consequence of this pressure.

And please, if someone ever does that to you again, act like nothing, and keep focusing on what you were doing. There are always bullies and stupid people, and if they see you don't even care about them and do not get upset at all, they get frustrated. It was not you the problem, it was them who were bad educated and were idle looking for someone to laugh at.

persianfan247

Hi Izumi

Out of curiosity why do you want to came to New Zealand where are I live. If you have any questions I might be able to answer them.

cowboyup

Here in the US, it is similar. Though we are a nation of overweight people and then the media get ahold of it, exploits it or bullies it, it's a vicious cycle here. If you are thin you are labeled: anorexic and if you are of average weight or even slightly overweight: you can be labeled as obese. TV, movies, magazines don't help much either. Hope that makes sense.

vitalis

Hi Izumi

Out of curiosity why do you want to came to New Zealand where are I live. If you have any questions I might be able to answer them.

Like Izumi I would also like to at least visit New Zealand during my lifetime, so I guess this kind of "Kiwi attraction" is not that uncommon.

I'll speak just for myself obviously, but my main points of attraction I find in NZ are - low populated country - English speaking - warm climate - liberal oriented society. You'll say if they are just myths we foreigners have about you or they is some true in them.

vitalis

Other than English speaking this is what I thought most of the Mediterranean was like.

Hmm... good point, maybe I feel attracted to it because it's just to find another place in the world similar than mine, even I'm sure at least in north NZ is a bit warmer than where I live, just think the Pyrenees mountain range are quite close. Anyway, the big part of the difference I conceive is in the "liberal oriented society", which I mean it in the liberal British sense of values, and the Mediterranean character is quite different than that. Oh, and the English speaking thing is simply because that's one of the four languages I dare to speak with more or less fortune.