Hello

taragizta

Can't believe this forums exists. Makes me feel a bit more normal; not in a bad way. It's just that it's good to know that there are others out there who share the same plight as i do that are willing to help each other out for the same cause. I guess I should introduce myself and the messed up life I've been living for a while now.

Growing up I was a REALLY friendly guy; the go to guy; Smart, not bad looking, funny, and easy to get along with. I was always the leader of the group. Girls weren't a problem either. I was to put it simply in a way popular. I was also a conceited cocky prick (not the kind that looks down on people. I was just overly confident) and I admit it.

Then came that day. It was the day that would change my life; I was 15. You know when you know you were okay one day and just like that you know there's something wrong when you wake up? I didn't know what it was back then but It didn't really affect me. I just let it slide and paid no attention cause everyone around me doesn't seem to say anything about it.

Then we went immigrated to Canada; I was 17. First couple of years in this country proved to be very hard for me. I had to start over, add that to the fact that I was in a way culture shocked.

I started becoming quiet. It's not that people don't talk to me or approach me. I just... didn't like to talk as much anymore. I think people saw that as being anti-social. Well I was. The "sickness" I caught when I was 15 started to catch up with me and this time it was getting more and more obvious to the point that people notice. People started giving me odd looks which I didn't like as if I wasn't doing anything to try and remedy it. I was getting paranoid.
I was still hanging in there though. Made some friends and just when I was getting better and getting back on track and becoming my old self again, college came.

I now realized that I wasn't really good with change; change as in change in setting, I wasn't really good at adapting. I went back to my quiet state. This time though, it was met with aggressiveness where I was constantly teased; not always directly but you know it was you who they are referring to. I paid no attention to those name callings cause I thought it was childish and it wasn't true. I'm not gay at the slightest so I wasn't affected at all. In fact in my head, they just want to use that to avoid taking on what's more evident which is my sickness. I actually thought that was nice of them cause at that point I was a bit sensitive to it. (Look up Trimethylaminuria)

Six months into college I was getting annoyed at the almost constant teasing. The thing about me is that I wasn't really a patient person. Not patient in terms of those kinds of childish accusations. I thought that the "homo" teasing wasn't really affecting me but I was wrong cause over time, I was getting paranoid to the point that everywhere I go I would think that people is thinking I am gay it frustrated the hell out of me. So by that time I had my "sickness" and this paranoia to deal with. Just use your imagination. So that's the end of my first college. I was expelled.

Over time it got worse. I can't look at people's eyes anymore. I felt ashamed of something I was not. I also had to deal with my disorder. I became religious which was just the help I needed. It strengthened me; I was 20. That was the start of me getting a hold of the reigns again. Church life is both a blessing and a curse. Church people as you may know are MUCH MORE judgmental than other people.

Fast forward to today; I'm 23. I am doing A LOT better now. I am much more confident. My sickness doesn't affect me that much anymore. I still have this feeling that people think I'm gay every once in a while but It doesn't really affect me as a person. The only hard part right now is making friends cause people just don't understand my disorder. But I'm a way better person than before. If someone says something bad I know that it's because they don't know about it nor do they understand. I still have quiet episodes where I just don't want to talk.

But I'm not going to lie. It still bothers me that people think I'm gay. That every once in a while I can't look at a person's eyes without feeling awkward or the urge to look away. When I do have eye-to-eye contact sometimes I feel like laughing even though the conversation is serious. Even with my Ex but that was different cause she knows everything about me.

I don't need to prove anything to people so I just let them do what they want as long as it doesn't cause me harm. But damn how I wish it was easy to get along with people. I still have "shy" tendencies but hanging in there.

Sorry for the long novel hehe. Just happy to have found this site is all.

DeadmanWalking

Hey, welcome to the site! If it makes feel any better, I'm somewhat like you. I was very social and out there (and kinda arrogant::p:); I could approach females and even make myself the center of attention just to talk to her. People spoke to me and I had no qualms about speaking to them. However, after my parents got divorced when I was a child, I "broke" and I became who I am today, although, the severity was far less than it was then than it is now.

If you ever need help or just want to vent, just come on here and talk to someone about it! I'm usually on here (because not much else goes on in my life::eek::) and there is everyone else as well!

taragizta

Thanks bro. I'll hold you to your word. It's good to have people who are suffering from these kinds of problems to share how they went about to remedying it.

MikeyC

Hey, dude. Welcome to the forum. Despite your issues, I'm very glad you are getting a lot better through church and other methods. It's unfortunate that over the period of one night you started "changing" but at least you're coping better now.

Trimethylaminuria
Looked it up. Doesn't sound debilitating but it would be embarrassing and make you shy away from conversing.

Aletheia

Hi taragizta, welcome to SPW.

Then we went immigrated to Canada; I was 17.

Much smaller scope I know, but my parents moved when I was six, and I had to change schools (children start school at five here). Having to start over, when everyone else had already formed friendship circles, was terrible, and I always wonder how much this contributed to my shyness (and the teasing).

So by that time I had my "sickness" and this paranoia to deal with. Just use your imagination.

Gosh, that must have been difficult.

Some are born shy, some achieve shyness, and some have shyness thrust upon them.

people just don't understand my disorder

I wish children were taught how to understand people different to themselves.

But I'm a way better person than before.

I admire that. Suffering can teach compassion.

Sorry for the long novel hehe.

Novel away. I know it helps me to get my demons out into the sunlight. And I love hearing other people's stories, as much as their suffering pains me. It makes me feel less alone.

Just happy to have found this site is all.

My feelings exactly.

Last edited:

taragizta

It's unfortunate that over the period of one night you started "changing" but at least you're coping better now.

Looked it up. Doesn't sound debilitating but it would be embarrassing and make you shy away from conversing.

By change I was referring to the disorder. I know it sounds unreal when I said overnight but it was just like that and yea it was one of the key factors why I stayed away from people. Not so much as being shy now but people can't take you seriously sometimes. It takes a strong will. I also figured that I can't let it run my life. I just didn't know who I was anymore cause I wasn't like this before so I forced myself to go out there and that was the start.

I also had music to help me through. That's how I met most of my friends right now. I'm a musician and that's how I express myself. Same friends who pushed me to start performing again and it really helped my self esteem.

There has been this one bad personality that stuck with me which is pride. I hated pity as well as patronizing people; well at least that's how I viewed it whenever somebody tried to get close to me. So I changed all that and tried to start trusting people a bit more as long as It looks like they are being real. I choose how I spend my time but most of the time I just want some "me" time. Trying to break out of this one before friends become tired of asking me to hang out.

thanks everyone. I also figured that I can be of help to everyone else too.

Last edited:

Etbow23

Welcome to the forum-it's interesting how a lot of us had some event/s that 'changed' us--I can relate to this a lot. I don't think I am the same person today as who I was ten years ago. Anyways, I can relate to the feeling--I am a young adult too (20) and have regained a lot of confidence, but still have a lot of the same issues that haven't been solved.

MikeyC

I also had music to help me through. That's how I met most of my friends right now. I'm a musician and that's how I express myself. Same friends who pushed me to start performing again and it really helped my self esteem.
Music is just so good for everything. I love it, too. Nice to hear you're a musician. What do you play?

I don't think I am the same person today as who I was ten years ago. ... I am a young adult too (20)
Well, that's good, considering you were 10 at the time! ::p:

taragizta

Music is just so good for everything. I love it, too. Nice to hear you're a musician. What do you play?

Yes music is a great tool. I play alternative, pop, jazz and classical. Mainly acoustics.

@etbow
yes. everybody have had to deal with "change" in one way or another. glad you can relate. best of luck to all of us

MikeyC

lol
yeah well I meant more around like 15...well, meaning more like it's more than just growing up...but a part of me was changed a lot if you know wut I mean
I do know what you mean. When you look back you realise how much more you know now.

Yes music is a great tool. I play alternative, pop, jazz and classical. Mainly acoustics.
Awesome. I'm at the other end of the spectrum, playing and listening to heavy metal, but music is still such a great escapist tool. I'm doing that right now, as a matter of fact.