Hello from Lincolnshire

hoddesdon

I feel stupid. I really had no idea there was a Boston, England. I know a lot of the other towns/cities here with the same name but I thought Boston was unique :crying: (I'm from Boston, USA). Pfft haha

I agree with the OP that most people do not know that there is a Boston in England because it is a small town. It was only relatively recently that I discovered that (possibly three or four years ago).

When you think about it, is logical that there is a Boston in England, since "-ton" is one of the standard suffixes that were used to create placenames when the Anglo-Saxons first arrived in England - it existed in Old English, but not in modern English, so Americans would not have used it to create a completely new placename. Hence it must have been named after a place in England.

cobalt_bluester

I feel stupid. I really had no idea there was a Boston, England. I know a lot of the other towns/cities here with the same name but I thought Boston was unique :crying: (I'm from Boston, USA). Pfft haha

Alot of US names are derived from places in England when people emigrated during the war so I believe.