Hello everybody!

Annie93

I am 22 yrs old from Australia. Been having problems with social anxiety since high school, around 9 years. I am lonely and bored because I have no friends, no boyfriend and no job. Don't know what to expect from this forum but thought I would give it a go. Thanks. :alone:

Stargirl

Hi, Annie! :)

I agree with Fountain - we probably share a lot of these issues. You should tell us a little more about yourself! Hobbies, interests, favorite animals/places, etc. You are not just someone with anxiety, you are an individual with and a personality and captivating facets to it.

Annie93

Thankyou very much. Nice to find a place where I can relate to other people that share similar experiences.

Stargirl

No problem. Feel free to vent anytime you need to. Even just look into the random discussion threads. Or help someone else - it can be therapeutic :)

socdep

Hi Annie -- You are very young so there is lots of time and hope to decrease your social anxiety. I am 67 and was handicapped with SA from earliest memory until age 40. Any friendships I had were superficial to that time. But I had finally met a therapist (cognitive behaviorist) and we worked for 3+ years on my anxieties. My coworkers hated me, were mean, I had no friends until the last year I was in that office. Thanks to my Dr., I made a breakthrough and left the office feeling like they were a 2nd family. I see my main problem then as not having the social skills others have and see as normal. I was "weird" because I was scared and so self-conscious. Unable to enter a room, eat with others, etc. because of the fears of being judged and shunned. My dr. did something crucial for 3 years: together we dissected encounters I had with others at work and he taught me why I fumbled and actually what to do in those situations. He reparented me--no drugs ever given. I finally felt at ease knowing how to behave with others and was finally accepted. If you haven't seen a therapist, go to the best, not just an MSW. Ask for cognitive behaviorist therapy. If you're lonely and bored, you are prob also depressed. Get going and get help now!

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Heyas Annie! Welcome to the forums!

Most of us can relate in our own way. 22 is still young. Heck, 30 is. It helps to share experiences and thoughts in places like these dedicated (usually) to SA and other anxiety disorders. You are not alone! Even down under :p

Annie93

Thankyou everyone for the kind words and great advice. Makes me feel like I'm not completely alone. Thanks!😊

Zooman

I am 22 yrs old from Australia. Been having problems with social anxiety since high school, around 9 years. I am lonely and bored because I have no friends, no boyfriend and no job. Don't know what to expect from this forum but thought I would give it a go. Thanks. :alone:

I wish i lived in Australia...I have a plan! We are both close to the same age and i'm single also...soooo...we shuld just get married and then i can move over there with you! :D???

Last edited: