Having psychological tests to do before CBT training?

SilentAndShy

This might be more handy for those people based in the UK but other opinions aren't minded.

I've just finished my second session with my psychological assessor who has been brilliant, listening to me and advising me. First week she gave me a conversation task to do, which was to try and initiate a conversation with my sister for example and try and be interesting and teach her something new. That didn't happen.

This week, she advised I need to keep my schedule busy. She's given me a sheet which has a breakdown of each hour and she advised to do something different each hour, just to freshen things up.

I told her I was hoping for CBT training and she's going to put me on the list for it today. But my question, has anyone else had to something similiar I do with my assessor or have they gone straight into CBT?

SoScared

I went straight into CBT. I had about eight sessions a year ago. It really worked out for me and put me on the path to recovery because:

a) her throwaway comments that resonated with me.
b) the Exposure Response Prevention exercises that she suggested. I still do them today one year later.

Lasting change takes effort….now did’nt you have a question for your sister?

IntheLabyrinth

I didn't have the same tasks as you but I believe they were just precursers to the CBT. The one about making conversation with your sister is CBT in the sense that you will gain confidence in your ability to initiate conversation (cognitive) by intiating the conversation (behavioral). That is a very small baby step but still CBT nonetheless. What kind of things did she ask you to do for the different things per hour. I am sure she had a beneficial reason for doing so.

SilentAndShy

I went straight into CBT. I had about eight sessions a year ago. It really worked out for me and put me on the path to recovery because:

a) her throwaway comments that resonated with me.
b) the Exposure Response Prevention exercises that she suggested. I still do them today one year later.

Lasting change takes effort….now did’nt you have a question for your sister?

As I explained to my assessor, I really can't open up to anybody at home at the moment.

But the exercise sheet of logging what I do everyday is something I'm going to pursue and hopefully, the start of a recovery.

SoScared

I think that a lot of the CBT that I learnt is ‘transferable’. Certainly the ERP practice that I so successfully did was not done anywhere near to my home base.

Anyway, good luck, I hope that you make the most of this opportunity.

miserablecow

I'm going to have my first face to face assessment tomorrow, after having a phone one. Don't know what to expect.

SilentAndShy

I'm going to have my first face to face assessment tomorrow, after having a phone one. Don't know what to expect.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. Mine was relieving, great to get things off my chest and have someone listen. Depending on how it goes, he/she might get you to do some behavioural or action tests to do before CBT.

miserablecow

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. Mine was relieving, great to get things off my chest and have someone listen. Depending on how it goes, he/she might get you to do some behavioural or action tests to do before CBT.

Thank you...It got cancelled to day and re-arrenged for next week. I'm glad I didn't leave my house, when I got the call.

I'm actually nervous about telling someone how I feel. Its hard to even admit things to myself.

SilentAndShy

Thank you...It got cancelled to day and re-arrenged for next week. I'm glad I didn't leave my house, when I got the call.

I'm actually nervous about telling someone how I feel. Its hard to even admit things to myself.

For me, it felt like a weight had been lifted off my mind because FINALLY I could tell someone who didn't know what was going on and have things explained to me. I felt uncomfortable at times, weird even telling this stranger about things I'd kept to myself but felt happier afterwards.

Go to it mate, it's not easy taking that first step but when you do, you'll feel better ;)