Have you made progress in defeating SA?

alex7

this IS a disorder right? disorders are suppose to be cured over time. I see a lot of users here go to therapy and are on medication. I've been down the medication road and it lead me no where but made me have big headaches and short-term erectile problems (im gonna emphasize, SHORT TERM:)).

who here has made progress, and what is your road to recovery?

ripewithdecay

I've had some success with CBT, I no longer stutter, shake, or blush, and I can look people in the eyes. These are small fractional things considering i've been doing CBT on and off for a few years, but i'm 100% sure at this point that anybody can overcome it - it takes some serious motivation, trial and error and patience though.

Nack

Banned
One cannot defeat social anxiety; everyone has it mild or severe. The only thing you can do is to adapt to it, or make it less severe. Its impossible to get rid of any anxieties.

alex7

One cannot defeat social anxiety; everyone has it mild or severe. The only thing you can do is to adapt to it, or make it less severe. Its impossible to get rid of any anxieties.

there really is a huge amount of negativity in this forum...i guess i shouldnt be surprised, as i too am very negative. But it does make me wonder why so few ppl with SA have not succeeded in defeating it.

Liberty

Banned
there really is a huge amount of negativity in this forum...i guess i shouldnt be surprised, as i too am very negative. But it does make me wonder why so few ppl with SA have not succeeded in defeating it.

I've noticed this as well. Negativity in my opinion is actually an indicator of mental illness. In some way it's related. CBT works to change negative thoughts into positive thoughts and once you've done that the anxiety loses it's strength. It's strength lies in negativity.

Liberty

Banned
this IS a disorder right? disorders are suppose to be cured over time. I see a lot of users here go to therapy and are on medication. I've been down the medication road and it lead me no where but made me have big headaches and short-term erectile problems (im gonna emphasize, SHORT TERM:)).

who here has made progress, and what is your road to recovery?

I've made some real progress using CBT therapy. For certain I have. I can't say that I won't revert back at some point but I certainly do not intend to let that happen. I've dealt with dissapointing and discouraging situations before and i've moved past it only to get even better.

206Raider

I don't think Nack is being negative, if you want to get rid of all your anixety you will never be satisfied. Everybody in the world has anxiety but you can definitly get to the point where SA doesn't run your life for you, you can beat it into submission and live a normal life.

rjv

Although I still have issues with SA I feel like I'm alot better than I was a year or two ago. This can be overcome, I'm sure of it. Believe it or not whats helped me alot are the "attacking anxiety and depression" program (you've probably seen the infomercials on tv-it sounds wierd but it's a great program, plus they'll work w you paymentwise) and just by reading workbooks and things like that. I have a sister with health anxiety and we try to help eachother out. I've learned to laugh at some of the crazy things I do, and she laughs with me. I think not taking myself too seriously has been a big step.

alex7

Although I still have issues with SA I feel like I'm alot better than I was a year or two ago. This can be overcome, I'm sure of it. Believe it or not whats helped me alot are the "attacking anxiety and depression" program (you've probably seen the infomercials on tv-it sounds wierd but it's a great program, plus they'll work w you paymentwise) and just by reading workbooks and things like that. I have a sister with health anxiety and we try to help eachother out. I've learned to laugh at some of the crazy things I do, and she laughs with me. I think not taking myself too seriously has been a big step.

dude thats really good to hear u have someone in your life that can understand you and still love you for it:D

Fighter86

Honestly, I don't think I have actually made progress. Yes, I'm doing more with my life now, but that doesn't mean I've overcome SA or issues related to it, rather, I've not been put into too many situations that trigger it. So essentially, the problem has not been solved, its sort of just shove out of sight somewhere till I have to come back to it again.