Have you found CBT helpful?

akala

I just started today, i know years of negative thinking won't be easy to undo, but is this approach helpful
for not only Social Anxiety and Depression
I would like to hear opinions of people who've tried it, thanks

Earthcircle

I had a therapist who claimed to be CB. She would say things like "Think three happy thoughts daily. Write them down." I was actually doing that for awhile, but it felt so silly. I actually think it made me feel worse because I would naturally think "My life must be really bad if I'm doing this."

I have been unable to make CBT work for me. I have trouble getting my brain to absorb positive statements because I just don't believe in them.
For me it's like trying to convince my brain that it is not raining, even though it is.
But I do believe people when they say it has worked for them. Everyone's brain is wired differently. So it is definitely worth putting your best effort into it akala you may be one of the lucky ones it works for. :thumbup:

Earthcircle

I have been unable to make CBT work for me. I have trouble getting my brain to absorb positive statements because I just don't believe in them.
For me it's like trying to convince my brain that it is not raining, even though it is.
But I do believe people when they say it has worked for them. Everyone's brain is wired differently. So it is definitely worth putting your best effort into it akala you may be one of the lucky ones it works for. :thumbup:

Face to face CBT did not work for me at all. I said that I think it made me worse. However, Edna Foa's book Stop Obsessing, which is definitely CBT, did help a lot with my OCD.