have you ever met someone with anxiety before??

newshyguy

Im just wondering , i have never met someone who said they had this problem,, i mean i once when to a group therapy and met a man who had anxiety for over 25 years, but besides him , in my school, i have never met anybody who said "i got anxiety", cuz if idid then i wouldve been like "yea i got anxiety too, so how do you deal with it and stuff?"

nate1956

hi,
i have social and general anxiety. ive had it for 40 years that i know of. i am taking lexapro now for 3 weeks. its seems like it is getting better. havent gone out to social events but am feeling better. it hasnt been easy.
dont wait to get help!!

newshyguy said:
"have you ever met someone with anxiety before??"

Social anxiety isnt as rare as you think it is. The World Psychiatric Association has estimated that up to 15% of the human population has SA. Its one of the most common psychological disorders in the world. Its the most common anxiety disorder as well. It helps to realize how common it is. Ive never met anyone who said they had SA, but I am 100% positive that I have met many people with SA.

Septor

Oh I have met a couple of people with sa before.Just like you and me.

There are a lot more people with sa then people realize.

theres a girl at my school whos as shy as me- if not more. ive never really talked to her though.
i think my freind may also have it but in a differnet way than me...shes not shy...she just has "issues" when it comes to some social situations. she always acts like shes being left out when she isnt. and she becomes really clingy with one person and expects them to support her. and then completly igores everyone else. i doubt she would admit to having SA though.

oh and i have a question...is social anxiety genetic at all??

newshyguy

to be honest i think we all have anxiety developed in different ways.

and in short , i believe that there are some people who are more likely to have anxiety than others.

Milooby

I've never had someone say they had social anxiety but I've noticed really quiet or uncomfortable people.. Probably too busy noticing the confident ones to pick them out though

newshyguy

well the only time like i said before, that i met some1 who has anxiety, was when i was in a group therapy, well, this guys talked calmmly to everyone and said that he has been with anxiety for over 20 years, but the guy didnt seem anxious at all , he seemed completely normal, even when talking!!

honestly i never met anybody, i repeat anybody that had anxiety, or maybe is because we just hide it very well, or we just cant tell from appearance, i mean just because some1 is shy doesnt seem he/she has anxiety, they could just be naturally shy. on the other hand, if u are friends, with some1 who has anxiety, how the hell are we suppose to know? because friends feel comfortable talking to each other.

is it just me or are we making a big deal out of this "anxiety"???

dzerklis

i have seen them, most of them at school, but also in public transport, but they have to have severe form of sp, like mine :( to be able to notice it. This is from cbt therapy about this theme:

...although this can be difficult to believe at first, our fears and anxieties are nowhere near as apparent to other people as they are to ourselves.

Most all people with social anxiety have a very difficult time believing this because the emotions of fear and anxiety are so very strong. ("If I feel this scared" they reason, "then everyone must notice it.")

Yet, these symptoms are never as bad as we make them out to be, and other people never notice them as much as we think they do.

thats why it is hard to meet other sp'ers, well another reason might be that we mostly sit at home..

B

I've only met one person since I joined the work force that I know had some kind of anxiety, but with her it was VERY obvious. I think she had issues that went way beyond anxiety. I also know some very cool people who have suffered anxiety because they talk about it openly like it's the most natural thing in the world (which, in a sense, it is).

colleague

I find that once I tell someone that I have SA other people will fess up to it too. I believe that everyone has anxiety issues, it's just how they deal with them that makes it noticeable or not. I also believe that anxiety is a hereditary or even "learned" thing because three of my aunts had it, my cousin, my sister, and even me - ours were recognized cases requiring medication. My brother has had an attack or two in his life time but nothing more than that, and my uncle has probably experienced some in his life time but never acknowledged it.

Kalima

One of my close friends has it. But neither of us ever actually openly admitted it. She says she's just "shy". I've personally revealed it to only one other person, a counselor. Others have it, they just do a good job of hiding it in some contexts.

LittleMissScareAll

I've known a few people who say they have anxiety problems too(some in my family & maybe a couple that were not in my family) but I don't think anybody else I've met in person has had any anxiety problems nearly as bad as me.

SingaporeGuy

met someone with anxiety and depression before. i was nervous as hell, going to explode.

upon meeting him, he asked me whether i was okay, and told me that i did not look nervous at all!

8O

carebear

i'm on lexapro too...made a difference the 1st month now i feel like crap again becasue i am just getting really lazy with the whole thing.

thequietone

I've never met anyone who was brave enough to tell me they had SA. There's millions of us out there, we just never see each other. I myself am I private person and I don't always talk about my personal problems to friends, so I understand why it might seem like we're alone but we're not at all. You can't really believe that though unless you get on a site like this one and hear people's stories. That's why this is so good for us. :D