Has telling people changed relationships?

Dudley

So I told one of my friends that I have OCD a few months ago. He responded with skepticism (which I'm okay with) before he eventually believed me when I started telling him how bad my obsessions and anxiety can get.

I've known him for over 8 years and the rest of my friends right now for at least 6 or more and we've been through a lot. We've all graduated high school a few years ago and just kind of went our separate ways, but still try to keep in touch and hang out.

In the last year or two I see less and less of all my friends. I know everyone is busy (myself included) but every time I saw them for the last year or so it's just been weird and I always feel like the 9th wheel (four worse than fifth). They always seem to talk about the last time they all went to the movies or went and had some fun (without me). I can't help but feel that telling one friend about my OCD drove a wedge further between me and the rest of the group. Whenever I try to arrange a get-together, no one shows up. But when someone else asks to hang out (on the very same day one time) the people can't come there fast enough.

Now here comes the fun part: The last time one of the members of the group said something like "it feels like I'm being ignored" or "it always feels like you guys are excluding me" they just ignored him worse and eventually broke off all contact.

Anyway, my question is has anyone told a friend or friends about having OCD and they started treating you differently (for better or worse)?

getbornagain

I've told a few close friends. It hasn't changed my relationship with them at all, they don't really understand/know what it is and don't seem to really care at all that I have it. I won't tell anyone the nature of my obsessions because they are too weird/personal, but I find people won't/shouldn't care if you have an anxiety disorder. If they do, they shouldn't be a part of your life anyways.

Ive told my mom, I have also been open about my problems to strangers. It makes me feel better and that I dont have to be ashamed of it. I accept it, and they can accept it or not. But it makes me feel better. Use your best judgment is all I can say, it may bother people and it may not. Be sure to accept that , before you say anything.

3times

A few members of my family knows(sis, 2 cuzns and and aunt and uncle). And they don't act diffrent at all. And like 3 of my friends know and they act the same. But the person who just really gets me is my bestie. She knows EVERYTHING. All of my OCD stuff and hasn't changed one bit. She even stops with the spite stuff and knows wat to do when I have an attack. Love her.

iamthenra

My family knows, and the friend that I have knows as well. But I would agree that telling a friend could indeed push them away a bit. If you tell them "as a matter of fact" then it probably wouldn't be a big deal. But if you ask them for help with it, or it becomes the topic of discussion every time you see them, then they may feel that you and your problem has become a burden to them. Since most don't understand what we have, they could feel confused, or they don't want to know anything about it... I could see how it would push someone away. I guess it just depends on the type of "friend" you have. If they run the other way, then I guess they weren't very good friends after all... I feel for you, because I have limited friends too. Good luck!

NothingElseMatters

Anyway, my question is has anyone told a friend or friends about having OCD and they started treating you differently (for better or worse)?

i have told 4 people about my sa.
The 2 of them said they understood but eventually they forgot it, maybe cause it's hard for someone to take these things seriously when he hasn't suffered from it especially if the relationship was not so close.
The 3rd and 4th person are really helpful cause we have a great relationship
So i guess it depends on how close u are with someone

I can't help but feel that telling one friend about my OCD drove a wedge further between me and the rest of the group.

Don't regret it.At least you were honest.It's hard to keep hiding and hiding all the time.

zebraface

I try to be pretty open with my Ocd with people I know and people I meet but I think that there is still quite a extensive amount of stigma attached with it and people usually just assume its something to do with excessive hand washing and nothing else. . .

But my close friends dont seem to have a problem with it really, its just a part of my personality they have to put up with! :D

dream

My mother knows and nobody else i never knew about sa till a few years ago.
It's hard because nobody understands this disorder.My family just assumes im crazy.I'm completly embarassed to tell people.