Has anybody thought of travel?

SilentStranger

As a kid I used to enjoy road trips with my family. I haven't really gone on a proper holiday for a long time. I mean I would like to travel around Oz one day. Also would really love to do a extended holiday to UK and Europe. I mean everybody seem to be doing it.

I wish I could travel, its just that I don't know anybody that is willing to travel with me. Any takers? :)

Besides how would I cope with my SP. I don't know if I can survive a working holiday.

Has anybody thought of travel? Anybody done any travel? What type... short holiday, contiki type tour, working holiday?

How did you find it?

-SS

steviegerrard489

Hi
I have often thought about this as lots of people I know have been to loads of countries compared to me. I don't have any major problem with going on my own other than the expense! Generally, you need a good £3-4k to make one of those extended trips around Asia to Australasia, South America etc...

Practically everyone I knew at uni had done this sort of thing or planned to do so after they finished. Of course, now some of them have loads of loans to pay off while I'm debt free :) !!

I went to Dubai, United Arab Emirates quite recently, on my own!! It was quite scary at first but the country is fairly westernised nowadays. I did meet up with one guy I used to work with so I wasn't alone all the time. And I only stayed there for 5 days! It was ok.

I'm going to try to go skiing this winter with some poeple I know from work who have been talking about and said I could come too.

replica

As much as I like the idea of traveling I just don't know if I would be able to enjoy the trip. I would be in constant worry being outside of my comfort zone.

rado31

it would be pretty hard for me. I m satisfied what i have seen form the world already (not much, but...)

scissorhands

I'm planning to backpack across my country (Canada, the biggest... or maybe the second biggest country in the world) in the Spring. It shall be my spiritual journey to find myself.

PhantomPod

I studied abroad in Sweden for three months (2 years ago) and in Spain for three months (1 year ago). They were the most incredible experiences of my life, and they definitely helped me become more outgoing and just not care so much and focus so much on what others may be thinking of me. I was able to meet many new people and friends.

Of course, only bad thing is that I haven't really been able to keep in contact with those people I met (I am very bad at keeping friends. We talk once in a blue moon on facebook, but other than that we don't see each other at all, although they do still go to the same school as me.

However, I had an absolutely amazing time while studying in those countries. It really put me into a situation where I was pretty much forced to become more outgoing, which was a push that I desperately needed in my life.[/i]

Kayla

I plan on travelling the world as a backpacker on a shoestring budget. Its my life dream!

nikole

i am from oz too.........and travelling would be my ultimate dream
i always say to myself i will do it and work over there........constantly dreaming of what i would do and how confident i would be lol

but i am the same i dont know anyone willing too.......i would love to do it by myself but it would be a waste of money coz of my sp i wouldnt get the full experience of it

ohh well one day it will happen for sure.........:)

jamez

Yea...I've thought about it a few times but nothing has really come to fruition.

stardog

http://www.wwoof.org/

I did this, in Japan in 2006, and it was probably the best thing I ever did...met so many great people, saw many awesome places, lived a different way of life. And very cheap (only needs to be the cost of a flight, plus train, bus costs etc.)

My advice is, go for it, but don't go for the wrong reasons. I went mainly cause I wanted to get away from everything, and thought my SA, depression and everything would go away if I did something like this. Actually though I carried all my issues with me, and if you don't deal with your problems, wherever you are in the world, whatever you're doing you will probably have the same problems.. My confidence was even less over there, and I was extremely paranoid a lot of the time. (Not to mention lonely)

But the good (mostly) outweighed the bad, had extremes of both, I know if I hadn't had SA though I could've made 500x more of the experience.

Anyway I recommend anyone to travel, espec. in this way, it is life-changing, but you need to understand that with SA it will be very difficult to do everything you want to do.

SilentType

Banned
I'm debating whether or not to travel the U.S. for a while. I'll get an RV and just go where the roads take me. I might even just go in my car and sleep in it since I'm alone. I just need to get away fo0r a while...

Peace

IceLad

I went to New Zealand on my own last year, and it was definitely one of the best things I've ever done. At 24 hours, the flight was extremely long, but the country more than made up for it.

Although SP doesn't disappear when you travel, I think in some ways it does become easier. Perhaps it's because there's no chance of meeting anyone you know, and/ or, of the people that you do meet, you probably won't ever see them again.

If I had the cash, I would happily book myself a return trip, and would probably include Australia into the hols this time.