Had enough of voluntary work

IceLad

For the last few months I’ve been doing voluntary work at an organisation which deals with delinquent teenagers. Perhaps due to the nature of the work and the fact that their funding is uncertain, all the staff ever seem to do is slag off the organisation and each other. Also I don’t seem to have gelled with a few of the staff, and likewise, they don’t seem to have gelled with me.

Voluntary work is supposed to boost your confidence and be therapeutic, and for me at this organisation, it’s neither of these. After leaving the building on the last few occasions, for hours and hours afterwards I have felt the worst I have ever felt in years.

The thing is, is that they’ve offered to act as a referee which I intend to take them up on. How do I diplomatically say/ phrase to them that I don’t want to volunteer for them anymore?

workout

why don't you honestly tell them what you feel? they'll surely understand you. just give it a try :)

HH

A difficult situation. If you really want to leave you must leave on good terms-mainly with the people in charge (managers/boss), as this reference is very important in what you could do in the future. It will look good on the CV.

Maybe try and stick it out for a few more weeks and then leave-after you know they will give you a reference. Its voluntary work after all so as long as you've done your best there and not pissed anyone off it should be fine.

Also I don't think nowadays previous employers can give ex-employees a bad reference-its either a good reference or none at all. But this could be different for voluntary workers.

hope this helps

IceLad

Thanks for the replies.

It’s a few weeks later now and I’m still trying to think how to diplomatically tell them that I’ve had enough.

I’ve thought of perhaps saying something along the lines that I’ve just simply decided to volunteer elsewhere. However, they’re probably going to want to know why, and for this, I have no answer (well, no polite answer! :D).

I think the more I leave it, the more chance there is that I’m going to leave on bad terms. For example, I was on the verge of losing my temper with someone last week.

HH

If its voluntary work you should be able to leave when ever you want because you're not getting paid and are not bound to any contract (unless you are-then it isn't voluntary-all though I could be mistaken). Just say that you've started a course/training or something and so you don't have time to do this any more, or go and find somewhere else to work.

I'm often on the verge of losing my temper at work and have often thought about just getting in my car and driving away-mainly because things don't work properly and I'm constantly hassled for things. But with the way the economy is at the moment I need to stay put.

Remus

Staff member
I've done warehouse work for oxfam, that was way better SA wise, maybe give that a whirl?

danstelter

Just be honest and let them know that you are ready to move on. If they are decent people, they will thank you for your help, respect the service you gave, and let you move on. I'm in social work and I am getting tired of all this voluntary stuff too...they want us to work for low pay and then go through all this volunteering too...your decision is totally respectable.