Guy I'm dating is a ****... Or, I'm the dumb one?

Whosthatguy

First of all, hi to everyone. I'm not exactly new here, I had a previous account a while ago for which I've forgotten the password. I'm more of a lurker now I guess. But I've got a situation here that I really want to get to the bottom of, and I hope you guys can help me reason it out.

I've started dating this guy who turned out to be a bit of a ****. (Just so you guys know, I'm a guy too.)

Before I get into it, there's something I need to mention.

My previous boyfriend used to be a gold digger, he knew that I was well off and he had the intention of using me, until I had enough and refused to give him what he wanted and for that reason he threatened to break up with me. After that, I knew he was just a user and I ended up dumping him.

I really wanted to get this story across to the guy I'm currently dating so that;

1. If he turns out to be a user, he has no luck so he might as well stop seeing me.
2. He becomes more careful of what he requests from me in order not to give out a bad impression.

Because I knew that he isn't well off.

There was this one time he sends me a music video on whatsapp about this girl awaiting her rich dads salary so that he could spoil her.

I took that as a chance to bring up the story of my ex-boyfriend the gold digger.

Gladly, he apologised.

I thought from then on, he got the message...

Not really...

Very early at the dating stage he asks me to buy him clothes and shoes as a gift for a type of holiday in our culture which was coming up soon, but he wanted me to take him shopping beforehand.

I said yes, but then later I changed my mind. My best friend told me not to give him what he wants, and to pretend I already bought him another gift that I thought he might like, and I decided to give him the gift during the holiday not beforehand because it was more appropriate.

His response was "F**k you." I got a little angry for him saying that, but he said it was a joke.

Anyway, it seemed that he accepted the fact that I won't take him shopping for clothes & shoes, which was good.

Later, once more, he asks me to buy him a card so he could apply for internet data package on his phone.

Even though it was cheap, it freaked me out. I started sharing once again my experience with my ex-boyfriend who was a gold-digger, and I told him that I was hoping he didn't turn out that way. Granted, I came across a bit dramatic.

Instead of showing understanding and apologising, he goes mad.

Notice at that point he had the presumption that I'm rich and I can give him what he wants.
I also admittedly had the presumption that he's poor but I never really noticeably portrayed him as such.

This whole thing is really complicated, and I'm not sure what to think of it. We've had a lot of arguments later about this but now we're back together.

I talked to one of his female friends about this and she seemed to be more understanding than him.
He's changed his attitude and never asks me for things anymore and I think that his female friend might have talked some sense out of him.

The reason why I want to figure this out is because somehow I get the feeling that he still thinks it's my fault. As if right now he's the one giving me a chance, rather than the other way around.

Please share your opinion on this, anyone, I'd appreciate it...

Metal_isthe_Answer

Sounds like that guys being a ****, I'm broke as hell and I hate asking (or even when it happens without asking) for people to pay for stuff for me.
There's nothing wrong with buying something for someone though, just so long as they don't abuse the generosity and start asking all the time. It can be very difficult to tell sometimes when someone is doing it intentionally.

Last edited: