group therapy

I was wondering if anybody has tried CBT group therapy? If so, how was your experience. I figure it would kind of force somebody with SAD to socialize but in a safe environment. Also, I would think it would be great to hear the insights of others who are going through the same thing (kind of like this site actually ;)). Any feedback at all would be wonderful!!!

Alchemy

Yes, I did it some years ago and found it beneficial, there was only 8 in the group which I think is the norm, it was a friendly and accepting environment and we all shared our problems at ease with one another free of any judgement, we followed the book Overcoming Social Anxiety by Gillian Butler over a 14 week period and also did some exposure therapy and were filmed on a camcorder to let us see what we looked like to other people, it was definitely a positive experience that I would recommend to others.

Its also good to make contacts that you can meet with regularly and offer support and help with therapy when the course has finished. I made a couple of good friends from it.

Yes, I did it some years ago and found it beneficial, there was only 8 in the group which I think is the norm, it was a friendly and accepting environment and we all shared our problems at ease with one another free of any judgement, we followed the book Overcoming Social Anxiety by Gillian Butler over a 14 week period and also did some exposure therapy and were filmed on a camcorder to let us see what we looked like to other people, it was definitely a positive experience that I would recommend to others.

Its also good to make contacts that you can meet with regularly and offer support and help with therapy when the course has finished. I made a couple of good friends from it.

Thank you so much for sharing! I am happy to hear that it was beneficial for you and that you made some good friends from it! I saw some group therapies in my area and I was wondering if that was a good thing to try, but now I kinda feel alittle excited to join one! Thanks again! :D

Emily_G

I attend a Support Group for stuttering, I really like it. Most of the other members who stutter are older than I am, 40s, 50s...so I get to hear their experiences, insight, advice, persepective, etc that I may not think of as a 23 yr old woman. :) Plus it's nice to go somewhere where I can stutter without being embarrassed...although I still kind of am even there, hopefuly someday I won't be.

Alchemy

Thank you so much for sharing! I am happy to hear that it was beneficial for you and that you made some good friends from it! I saw some group therapies in my area and I was wondering if that was a good thing to try, but now I kinda feel alittle excited to join one! Thanks again! :D

No prob, I wish you all the best with it;)

I attend a Support Group for stuttering, I really like it. Most of the other members who stutter are older than I am, 40s, 50s...so I get to hear their experiences, insight, advice, persepective, etc that I may not think of as a 23 yr old woman. :) Plus it's nice to go somewhere where I can stutter without being embarrassed...although I still kind of am even there, hopefuly someday I won't be.

Thank you for the input! I think that seems like the best part of groups, getting insights from other people who have the same problems! It makes you feel like you're not alone, which is a great feeling! Good luck with your support group! :)