Group Therapy Sydney

Stoffel

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to Sydney and am looking to get treatment for SA. From what I've read, group therapy seems to be quite an effective tool so I'd like to get involved with such a group. Any suggestions on places that regularly hold group therapy sessions? Any first hand experience of these sessions?

Waybuloo

I attended a group therapy run by a clinic at Sydney Uni half a decade ago. They seemed to be experimenting more so than providing a service per se. The woman running it tried CBT. It wasn't for me so I left after a few sessions. I really questioned if I had SA or if that was my biggest problem after finding myself in the toilet cubicle numerous times during breaks crying my eyes out.

Ads7800

Bankstown Hospital runs a group session that lasts for 8 weeks from the Bankstown Anxiety Clinic, which is connected to the BanksHouse Mental Health ward at the rear of the hospital.

During the sessions you are taught coping strategies and run through practice socializing exercises with the other participants, all of whom will have social phobia as no guests or friends are allowed to sit in on the groups.

The 8 week program is free and covered on Medicare. It's been a while since I attended so hopefully the group sessions are still operating.

Below is a link with the contact information.

Map of Services

Best of luck!:D