Group conversations, argh!

JonnyD

yeah, i totally fade when talking in a group if there's anyone i don't know,
i can talk with 3 or 4 friends, but if theres 1 person i don't know i just can't speak...

toothpastekisses, seriously, most of the time we think someone is talking about us behind our backs we are mistaken and well, if someone ever do it, they don't deserve our friendship.

footballfan

Then I'd worry that if I do say something, everyone would be quiet and stare at me because it's a rare opportunity to hear me speak

This is funny cause I feel exactly same way, in one of the rare moments I speak in a group conversation, it seems like the whole worlds stands still waiting for me to finnish me sentence, then when I finnish they all look at each other for a minute and think, is that it!!??!! lol

ichiban

footballfan said:
Then I'd worry that if I do say something, everyone would be quiet and stare at me because it's a rare opportunity to hear me speak

This is funny cause I feel exactly same way, in one of the rare moments I speak in a group conversation, it seems like the whole worlds stands still waiting for me to finnish me sentence, then when I finnish they all look at each other for a minute and think, is that it!!??!! lol

That's happened to me too a couple of times, I think in class when we had discussion circles or whatever. I'd just be like, why is everyone still looking at me... that's all I have to say lol.

I definitely feel like I sort of fade into the background when I'm in a larger group. And it's so much easier to get to know people and become friends with them when you spend a lot of one on one time with them, or with just a couple other people. There are some people that I can talk to in a group, but if it's just the two of us it's so awkward bc we have nothing to say to each other!

fearlessvenom

idk im the other way around, its much harder for me to have one on one conversations, cause i feel that i have to say something. idk how to explain it
in group conversations i can just nod and say "yeah.." or comment to something one of the ppl in the group says. But in one on one conversations i feel like there is more pressure on me to say something, and there is also more chace of "akward silences"

limetree

One on one only works if I click or feel comfortable with the person.

I can hardly get a word in during group conversations. They're too fast paced and my natural inclination is to listen so my mind completely blanks. I get paranoid that people think I'm retarded too.

When I do say something I also get those "is that it" responses and it makes me withdraw even more thinking to myself why bother? It makes me angry that I even have to prove myself to them.

nofriends34

That's exactly how I am.

I can manage talking to someone one on one for a little while if they initiate the conversation first (which is rare), and can pass it off OK. Anything more, I can't say a word. The more people in the group, the harder it is for me to say something. My mind is racing with thoughts about what I should say, but I never do it. I usually never allow myself to get into situations like that anyway, but the few times I have, I felt so uncomfortable and hardly would ever say anything.

I once did say something in a group conversation but they just ignored me and didn't say anything back. That made me feel extremely stupid and I eventually just left the group.

bitingthepea

Hey im exactly the same, i want to talk but i just cant! it sounds silly but i jus cant .
I sit there thinking i wonder how he/she came up with that comment
It so annoying and especially at work i feel like i have to pretend to smile and laugh even tho im not contributing to the convo