Grimaces !

madmike

Hi, i've mentioned this a few times on several forums, and have read of posts where others have complained about similar problems. Tics and grimaces. I've suffered from these all my life really, but the severity varies. At one point, for around two years, i managed to almost get rid of them somehow (no idea how), but now they're back and worse than ever. It's awful because it reduces the little confidence i have even more and makes me less likely to try to be around people, etc, out of embarrassment (it really is a murderous grimace)

Anyway, as i was thinking about this yesterday, i came up with a way that sort of helped me to relieve it a little bit and want to share it with anyone who feels the natural compulsion to scrunch up your faces, pull down your upper lips, close any or both eyes with pressure, and swallow compulsively (all you others who don't suffer from it, laugh out loud and go read something else now)

So, i put this imag in my head of me doing the grimace very exageratedly, and kept this up for about 2 minutes. As i did this, i got this very strong urge to do the grimace, which became stronger and stronger. But i resisted, and eventually the urge went away and i felt real relief.
Now, the next morning i was normal again, but whenever i had the impulse i put this exaggerated image of me acting out my grimace into my head, and so far it's helped to reduce it quite a bit.

I don't think it's a quick fix or anything, but if you did this little exercice maybe once or twice a day, say, every morning when you brush your teeth or something (5 minutes is all it takes) then you can gradually reprogramme your subconcious to believe you don't need to do it anymore.

I hope this is of help to some of you because tics are a really cursed thing, especially for social phobics who have enough problems integrating as it is, without having to worry at being laughed at by everyone for screwing up their faces impulsively. Please reply if it works for you. or if you have any other tips/methods of soothing the compulsion to do these things!

no1

Banned
I am a lot of times fearful that people can read me, or my face and work up some kind of stereotypes or judgment on me, I just usually want to hide.