Graeme's Wee Mad Mental Music Thread

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
So, about a day ago - or it might be a couple of days now. at the time o' me writing this - my oldest sister mentions to me that this coffee shop in Kettleholm is going to start doing open-mic nights every Thursday from 5 pm to 7 pm.

Kettleholm is another wee village in the Scottish Borders, not far from where I live. Just 4 miles from my hometown.

Anyway, my sister asked if I fancied it - like actually taking my guitar and getting up on stage and playing in front of folk. Which I said I'd have to go and see what it's like as an audience member before I think o' getting up on stage. Plus there's the issue of me needing to put together a live rig that would utilise my laptop and the guitar amp simulation software I use for my electric guitar tones, as well as an actual guitar amplifier. Because ah went n' sold the Marshall Solid State amp - ah forget the exact model - I had once I started using AmpliTube. Thinking that ah wouldnae need it since ah wus using my laptop and software to get my guitar tone.

Though, it was probably for the best. As that Marshall had a 12" inch speaker and weighted a tone. There's nae way my sister would allow me to lug that in the boot o' her car every week, as well as my guitar, laptop and audio interface. And drive me to and from the venue every week.

Kettle-Home Sessions.jpg

Anyway, forward to the Sunday just passed there (June 19th, 2022), my oldest sister offers to get me out of the house and take me for a wee car ride around town, so we can have wee blether n' chat about stuff. When, after a few minutes of silence, she asks if I've given any more thought to the open-mic night. To which I shrug muh shoulders n' say: "Eh, no really. It sounds interesting, though. I'd probably need to see what it's like - the venue and open mic night itself. Don't want to commit to it just going by a Facebook post alone".

My sister agrees with my point and says: "Aye. Yer probably better get an idea of it from an audience perspective first. And it's just starting out, so you'll need to see if it's well attended to make it worthwhile". I then explain what I'd need if was going to attend one of the open mics as a performer. Saying I'll need to save up for a rack-effects cabinet. and explain to her what that is.

Then, seemingly outta nowhere, my sister asks: "What about Edinburgh?" A question that I responded to in a typically Scottish manner, give a confused: "Eh?! Whit d'ye mean?" πŸ˜† She then goes on to elaborate: "You busking in Edinburgh wi' yer electric guitar!" This gets a "Ha!" reaction from me that is quickly interrupted by my sister saying: "Naw! Seriously!" I forget what I said in response to that, because the next few minutes were just, sat in the passenger seat as my sister drove, trying to process what she just said and form a coherent response.

So, after some "Eh's" and going: "Umm, ah don't know..." on my part. As well as a few minutes of awkward silence where I'd just stare oot the passenger windae, looking at the landscape and hills go by, pretending like I was thinking. Until my sister finally forces some sort of answer outta me by saying:

"C'mon! Ah've been tellin' ye fur years - nearly every year since we started gan tae the Edinburgh Fringe, regularly - that ye should dae it!"

And after a brief moment, I realise she's right - replaying all moments at the Edinburgh Fringe where we'd see someone busking on the street with an acoustic guitar as we made our way to and from whatever comedy shows we'd booked to see. And ah cannae argue or dismiss her point. All I could say was: "Eh... Maybe?" And hoped it was a good enough answer. Not exactly "Aye" or "Naw", expecting my sister to say: "Huv a think aboot it"

But, no, her reaction wasn't that. Instead, she reacts enthusiastically with: "It's a deal! Ah'll look intae gettin' ye a permit". Which I must admit caught me so off guard, I said: "You're no serious aboot that, yer just huvin a laugh, aren't ye?", trying to suppress a laugh myself as I asked my sister this question. Needless to say, her matter-of-fact, deadpan response of: "Nope! August 2023. You'll busking on the streets o' Edinburgh. Ye better start planning" made me laugh out loud to the point where I was still laughing about what my sister said upon her dropping me off home.

And I don't think the realisation of what I've agreed to do will fully sink until I'm actually in Edinburgh, playing my guitar.

lily

Yay! these all sound like good opportunities for you, Graeme! You're good at playing your guitar. You can be a part of a musical entertainment team. Why, do you feel nervous? Or r u confident?

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Yay! these all sound like good opportunities for you, Graeme! You're good at playing your guitar.
I know. Even though I don't really brag about it much. 😊 Mind you, I probably should. πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜

And I realised these are really great opportunities for me. I'm just in 2 minds as to what I should do. πŸ€”

As far as: should I just noodling about, improvise and let whatever the first guitar riff or melody is dictate what I'm playing? Like I usually do after I've got the guitar in tune.

Or, should I do covers song, or a mix of both covers and my original guitar riffs? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Like, go back to the bands that I started listening to when I was 12, when I was developing my own taste – as well as the ones I started listening to 2 years later through learning how to play the guitar – and learn whole songs from start to finish. But just the guitar parts. Because those 2 years prior to me picking the guitar really shaped how I'd approach learning it.

You can be a part of a musical entertainment team.
Haha! πŸ˜„πŸ˜†It's funny you should say that, lily. As my sister drove us back into town, just as she turned onto the street where I live, she half-jokingly said:

"Hey! If you teach me tae get good enough at the bass guitar, maybe ah could accompany ye, musical, eh?" Like with my reaction to my sister saying about the busking permit, I looked away and started smirking at this question. Letting out a "Pfft!" before laughed out loud again as my sister asked what so funny. Her feigning outrage before I even said a word. Anyway, just before we got to my house, I regained my composure and my sister turn to look at me as I say:

"You, accompanying me musically? Aye, sure. But only if ye can keep up wi' me. Which, ummm..." And I'm cut off before I could finish speaking, with my sister again feigning outrage and pointing how I've only just started teaching her the bass guitar. And we both laughed as we pulled up to my house.

And as we walked up the path to my house, I again asked my sister if she was bluffing, to which said she wasn't. With that, I pointed out that we'd need to start planning now – giving a brief overview of the equipment I'd need – and telling my sister that she'd need to go halves with me, money-wise. As the setup I'm going for isn't going to cheap.
Why, do you feel nervous? Or r u confident?
A bit of both, really. Confident in my abilities as a guitarist but nervous as it's something I haven't really done much. And the last few times when I did "perform" in front of other people – be if family just watching as they came into my room while I was in the middle of playing the guitar. Or, all those times during my high school music classes, as well as the performance portion of my music exams – my anxiety got the better of me, unfortunately. πŸ˜” Needless to say, my guitar playing didn't sound that great, nor impressive.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
So, about a day ago - or it might be a couple of days now. at the time o' me writing this - my oldest sister mentions to me that this coffee shop in Kettleholm is going to start doing open-mic nights every Thursday from 5 pm to 7 pm.

Kettleholm is another wee village in the Scottish Borders, not far from where I live. Just 4 miles from my hometown.

Anyway, my sister asked if I fancied it - like actually taking my guitar and getting up on stage and playing in front of folk. Which I said I'd have to go and see what it's like as an audience member before I think o' getting up on stage. Plus there's the issue of me needing to put together a live rig that would utilise my laptop and the guitar amp simulation software I use for my electric guitar tones, as well as an actual guitar amplifier. Because ah went n' sold the Marshall Solid State amp - ah forget the exact model - I had once I started using AmpliTube. Thinking that ah wouldnae need it since ah wus using my laptop and software to get my guitar tone.

Though, it was probably for the best. As that Marshall had a 12" inch speaker and weighted a tone. There's nae way my sister would allow me to lug that in the boot o' her car every week, as well as my guitar, laptop and audio interface. And drive me to and from the venue every week.

View attachment 6084

lily

I know. Even though I don't really brag about it much. 😊 Mind you, I probably should. πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜

And I realised these are really great opportunities for me. I'm just in 2 minds as to what I should do. πŸ€”

As far as: should I just noodling about, improvise and let whatever the first guitar riff or melody is dictate what I'm playing? Like I usually do after I've got the guitar in tune.

Or, should I do covers song, or a mix of both covers and my original guitar riffs? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Like, go back to the bands that I started listening to when I was 12, when I was developing my own taste – as well as the ones I started listening to 2 years later through learning how to play the guitar – and learn whole songs from start to finish. But just the guitar parts. Because those 2 years prior to me picking the guitar really shaped how I'd approach learning it.

Haha! πŸ˜„πŸ˜†It's funny you should say that, lily. As my sister drove us back into town, just as she turned onto the street where I live, she half-jokingly said:

"Hey! If you teach me tae get good enough at the bass guitar, maybe ah could accompany ye, musical, eh?" Like with my reaction to my sister saying about the busking permit, I looked away and started smirking at this question. Letting out a "Pfft!" before laughed out loud again as my sister asked what so funny. Her feigning outrage before I even said a word. Anyway, just before we got to my house, I regained my composure and my sister turn to look at me as I say:

"You, accompanying me musically? Aye, sure. But only if ye can keep up wi' me. Which, ummm..." And I'm cut off before I could finish speaking, with my sister again feigning outrage and pointing how I've only just started teaching her the bass guitar. And we both laughed as we pulled up to my house.

And as we walked up the path to my house, I again asked my sister if she was bluffing, to which said she wasn't. With that, I pointed out that we'd need to start planning now – giving a brief overview of the equipment I'd need – and telling my sister that she'd need to go halves with me, money-wise. As the setup I'm going for isn't going to cheap.

A bit of both, really. Confident in my abilities as a guitarist but nervous as it's something I haven't really done much. And the last few times when I did "perform" in front of other people – be if family just watching as they came into my room while I was in the middle of playing the guitar. Or, all those times during my high school music classes, as well as the performance portion of my music exams – my anxiety got the better of me, unfortunately. πŸ˜” Needless to say, my guitar playing didn't sound that great, nor impressive.
forget about the past in high school, look ahead. I heard your music playing, (is it called guitar riffs?) and I liked it! & other people liked it too. I hope your anxiety won't get the better of you this time if that's what you're saying.

Graeme1988

forget about the past in high school, look ahead.
That's very true. Those high school memories were just the first thing that came to my mind when my sister said she'd get a busking permit. But I will look ahead and start preparing for it and have a think about putting together so sort of setlist.

And before all that, I'll go to one of those open mic nights in Kettleholm and see what they're like from an audience perspective.

I heard your music playing, (is it called guitar riffs?) and I liked it! & other people liked it too.
Yep! That's what they're called - guitar riffs. And I'm happy to hear that you and others like them. ☺️
But then, most of my guitar riff ideas have been getting good, positive feedback.
I hope your anxiety won't get the better of you this time if that's what you're saying.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. When I was younger, anxiety while playing guitar in front of people (including my family) would make me tense up quite a bit. Because tensing up is very counter-productive to guitar-playing, as you want to keep the wrists pretty relaxed, and not grip the guitar neck or plectrum like yer holding onto them for dear life. πŸ˜†