Good Perspective on Blushing

tgates209

For those of us who view our blushing as the worst thing happening to us, I just read an article about stopping blushing and one of the points made shed some light on another perspective for me.

...If you’re interested in learning how to stop blushing, it might be useful to remember that blushing does serve an important purpose in some circumstances. When we blush, we make others aware of our feelings so that they can modify their behavior in an appropriate manner. Blushing helps communicate the emotions that we might be too afraid to verbally express. As Mark Twain once wrote, "Man is the only animal that blushes or needs to."

This means that blushing is not all about us and our embarrassment about it, but a way to shift responsibility in some cases to others who may be doing/saying things that are causing us discomfort.

Just another good thought and new perspective for me. Hope it helps someone.

kirahster

That is a really good point to make but I feel often times that the people that are doing the things that make us blush dont really even give a S*$T how it effects other people. Many people like to feel the power trip by knowing that they have some kind of control over how you feel.

NothingElseMatters

When we blush, we make others aware of our feelings so that they can modify their behavior in an appropriate manner. Blushing helps communicate the emotions that we might be too afraid to verbally express.

Just another good thought and new perspective for me. Hope it helps someone.

i find this perspective unrealistic.yeah it is more positive but wouldn't be better if we could communicate our emotions when we chose too?

i used to blush a lot in the past and it only gave away my emotions and many times i blushed for no reason which made me and others uncomfortable.so if i could choose too communicate my emotions it would be because i wanted to and not because my face becomes red and weird.
Good try though:)

I travelled to the third world. There were kids on the streets begging, along with amputees who couldn't work.

Then I thought about the stuff I complained about at home and my blushing problems. That definitely put everything in perspective for me. I actually felt quite embarrassed with the previous thoughts I'd been having.

tgates209

It is a great perspective though to realize that it is not all about us (blushers). It's not just about us having some irreversible flaw in every case. It is a "red" flag to others that something they did or said bothered us and may be inappropriate. This still doesn;t mean we don't need to address our internal conditioning to react in a way that does not include a blush.

206Raider

sometimes I really blush but I don't care aboout it as much as some of yall but it does still bother me some, probably becuase it's the least out of all my worries

doesit

..If you’re interested in learning how to stop blushing, it might be useful to remember that blushing does serve an important purpose in some circumstances. When we blush, we make others aware of our feelings so that they can modify their behavior in an appropriate manner. Blushing helps communicate the emotions that we might be too afraid to verbally express. As Mark Twain once wrote, "Man is the only animal that blushes or needs to."

For me it means that i feel like a loser and look weak in front of others,instead of appearing confident and dealing with the sitaution there is.