Going through a strange routine lately

Hello,

From my childhood to lately I used to be someone that enjoyed spending his free time playing video games (excessively), eating out of boredom, and enjoying life as best as I could (while avoiding people). I found pleasure in doing so. In addition to being a very emotional person.

Recently, when it comes to my spare time, everything is changing... I feel that I am not really enjoying what I am doing. It's like living as a robot.

On a daily basis all I am doing boils down to : Practicing 30 minutes of sports a day improving my kicks and correcting my kyphosis (yeah I am a hunchback), studying engineering stuff for at least 5 hours a day (I am on vacation for god's sake! :eek:h:), learning new languages, taking care of my tortoises, as well as keeping company to my grandmother and taking care of her/shopping for her when the need arises.

I am not feeling any joy or stress, or any other emotions for that matter, except being bored. I'll be moving to France in 2 months, but until then, I am only thinking about "being productive" and doing something "useful" that I don't necessarily enjoy.

As for my sexual life, there is none whatsoever.
Never had any girlfriends or sex, Although I am attracted to girls, but not doing anything about it, since I don't consider myself as being an interesting guy to them.

When it comes to sex, the only reason is religion. Even though I am not really a practicing guy...it goes as far as avoiding to cross the lines.
May God preserve me from committing any sins.

I don't know if this is to be worried about.
What do you thing about it? Did anyone go through something similar?

Thank you for your time

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Hello,

From my childhood to lately I used to be someone that enjoyed spending his free time playing video games (excessively), eating out of boredom, and enjoying life as best as I could (while avoiding people). I found pleasure in doing so. In addition to being a very emotional person.

Recently, when it comes to my spare time, everything is changing... I feel that I am not really enjoying what I am doing. It's like living as a robot.

On a daily basis all I am doing boils down to : Practicing 30 minutes of sports a day improving my kicks and correcting my kyphosis (yeah I am a hunchback), studying engineering stuff for at least 5 hours a day (I am on vacation for god's sake! :eek:h:), learning new languages, taking care of my tortoises, as well as keeping company to my grandmother and taking care of her/shopping for her when the need arises.

I am not feeling any joy or stress, or any other emotions for that matter, except being bored. I'll be moving to France in 2 months, but until then, I am only thinking about "being productive" and doing something "useful" that I don't necessarily enjoy.

As for my sexual life, there is none whatsoever.
Never had any girlfriends or sex, Although I am attracted to girls, but not doing anything about it, since I don't consider myself as an interesting guy to them.

When it comes to sex, the only reason is religion. Even though I am not really a practicing guy...it goes far as avoiding to cross the lines.
May God preserve me from committing any sins.

I don't know if this is to be worried about.
What do you thing about it? Did anyone go through something similar?

Thank you for your time

Well, I kinda relate, as far no girlfriend, not being interesting enough, and being productive for the sake o' it, rather than joy of it. As well correcting my own kyphosis, which I think has been help along by getting orthopedic surgery earlier this year to correct issues that are related to my disability.

Ah used to be like you as far as video games, but now I prefer reading a book compared to playing video games. Don't really have the time or concentration for video games. Though, for me, it's the same with movies and TV.

And you think you're uninteresting... :giggle:

And I having to look after my mum, not that she's incapable o' caring for herself. My sister always telling me to do that, whenever she's away. :bigsmile:

Though, ye definitely seem more cultured than me as far as learning other languages goes. I only learnt French for 2 years during high school, but have since forgotten it all.

As far as what I think, I not really one to judge. To each their own, man.

Though, I've been feeling rather bored lately as well. Lacking in energy, oh, and wondering what I'm doing with my life. So I'm a going through a depressive slump at the moment. I'm kinda worried that I'm not enjoying and appreciating life as much as I could and should. Don't know that how you feel as well? :question:

As far productive goes, for me, it's either fixing laptops or learning a musicial instrument. Try to get into playing my guitar in the hope that it'll pull seem outta this rut I'm currently in.

And I've got a bagpipe chanter that sitting in my room, still in its box, since I've kinda been talked into learn that instrument. Still haven't found anyone who gives tuition lessons, as teach myself sounds daunting as a beginner, and the thought of getting lessons makes me anxious.

Hello Graeme1988,

I didn't think that we'd have that much in common :bigsmile: .
I am sorry to learn about your disability, that sucks, I hope the docs will patch you up!

As far as not enjoying life, and thing I've missed out, well, I'd say that I used to regret many things I didn't do in my late teenage hood.
By now, these regrets have died out, because I tell myself that what is done is done, Tässä elämä on!

I'd love to learn how to play an instrument! just for the hell of making pokémon covers!

I like to teach myself anything I do : It's free, you choose your own schedule, and you don't have to deal with anyone.
Don't be daunted by this, you can learn anything effectively on your own.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Hello Graeme1988,

I didn't think that we'd have that much in common :bigsmile: .
I am sorry to learn about your disability, that sucks, I hope the docs will patch you up!

Och! Don't feel sorry for me, ah wus born with the disability. Learnt to live with it. Though, things have improved since undergoing my recent surgery. :D

As far as not enjoying life, and thing I've missed out, well, I'd say that I used to regret many things I didn't do in my late teenage hood.
By now, these regrets have died out, because I tell myself that what is done is done, Tässä elämä on!

I'd love to learn how to play an instrument! just for the hell of making pokémon covers!

I've got to that point with regrets. Though, ah still feel I've missed out on a lotta stuff that many o' folk my age huv experienced.

And Pokémon covers? Sounds like an awesome reason to learn an instrument, particularly the electric gutar. Though, I'm also interested in maybe learning the piano/keyboard. :thinking:

I like to teach myself anything I do : It's free, you choose your own schedule, and you don't have to deal with anyone.
Don't be daunted by this, you can learn anything effectively on your own.

Good point. I think it's just the music theory side of things that I find daunting. Never got my head around it at school. Never learnt to read music notation.

Though, with the playing music side o' things, it's kinda lonely, for lack o' a better word. Not having anyone to collaborate with. Plus, I'm shy about performing in front o' people. Sharing ideas, forget about it...

Also, ah don't think I'm a great guitar player. Again, that's probably me feelin' way too humble. My self doubt... and self-esteem issues.

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it

No problem, Jungle. :thumbup:

Glad to hear that things are going better for your bones!

Frankly, I don't regret not fitting in and not being like my peers, because in most of the scenarios this would involve having weird haircuts and dressing in a strange manner ::(: , I'd rather be called a weirdo instead lol

Piano and guitar are the most used instruments to make these kinds of covers.

I too have studied a bit of music theory, but always thought that our teacher was messing about and bull****ing us with his weird rhythm hand gestures.

Last edited:

Graeme1988

Glad to hear that things are going better for your bones!

Thank you... :thumbup:

Frankly, I don't regret not fitting in and not being like my peers, because in most of the scenarios this would involve having weird haircuts and dressing in a strange manner ::(: , I'd rather be called a weirdo instead lol

... And liking crap films and movies.

Whoa, man! You're more at ease with being called a weirdo than I am. Cause I constantly have to justify why ah don't like the same movies, music and TV shows. Being called a weirdo always seems to be used against me.

Plus being forced to be social doesnae suit me. Making small talk... Nah! Sorry, no thanks.

Piano and guitar are the most used instruments to make these kinds of covers.

Definitely... Though, learning how to play the guitar takes a bit o' persistence.

I too have studied a bit of music theory, but always thought that our teacher was messing about and bull****ing us with his weird rhythm hand gestures.

Any chance of clarifying what'cha mean by yer teacher's weird rhythm hand gestures? Though, with me, I never got the whole intellectual side o' music theory as far as classical music goes. Like "...what is composer trying to convey with use of strings at this point in the piece?" :idontknow:

fate12321

Well, it seems like you're doing good in life so far. You have a much better routine than I do. My routine is basically trying to wake up early in the morning to go run (that's if I wake up). After that I'm usually on the computer all day working on some programming projects and learning Java. And that's pretty much it.
I might go to Mexico for 3 weeks next week, so I guess I have something different to do. After that, I'll go back to uni and my routine will be slightly different.

My relationship status is nonexistent as well. My anxiety prevents it. The only way I'll be able to have a girlfriend is if I manage to overcome my social anxiety. After that, I should have no problem when it comes to talking to people in general.

So, yep, that's basically my life right now. Anyways, have fun at France! :thumbup:

Well, it seems like you're doing good in life so far. You have a much better routine than I do. My routine is basically trying to wake up early in the morning to go run (that's if I wake up). After that I'm usually on the computer all day working on some programming projects and learning Java. And that's pretty much it.
I might go to Mexico for 3 weeks next week, so I guess I have something different to do. After that, I'll go back to uni and my routine will be slightly different.

My relationship status is nonexistent as well. My anxiety prevents it. The only way I'll be able to have a girlfriend is if I manage to overcome my social anxiety. After that, I should have no problem when it comes to talking to people in general.

So, yep, that's basically my life right now. Anyways, have fun at France! :thumbup:

First off, thank you for your reply fate12321.

Vacations always mess up my sleeping schedule, sometimes I'd even sleep at 4 pm to wake up before dawn. I could but agree with you that struggling to get out of bed is a real pain.

Oh so I gather you're a computer engineering student? I know about 3 languages that we studied in electrical engineering. like C++ and assembly for microcontrollers... the latest is really hard.

Never went to America, but I can tell from the shows I've seen that mexico is such a beautiful country, with its Aztec heritage and Spanish colonial architecture style, let alone the food. I hope you'll make the most of your trip!

Hello,

This is my fifth day in Kalos - Lumiose city, I am really enjoying myself, university will start in a week.

I have turned into a karaté junkie, doing it every two days, out of boredom, I'll probably join a sport club in my university.

Other than that, still living like a monk ;) , plenty of good looking girls, but I really don't see myself in a relationship, having sex is absolutely out of the question.

Apart from that, food is great... I need to be careful not to gain weight. I find people's accent really bland )-= , I'd rather speak with mine than to try imitating theirs.

Last edited:

Fen

I hope to move as well in six months from now, it's still not decided though.

That's the only way to change my current routine - computer everyday all the day, watching TV series, documentaries, animes and reading books. I'm ok with this routine but doesn't really assure me any future which is worth thinking about.

I hope to move as well in six months from now, it's still not decided though.

That's the only way to change my current routine - computer everyday all the day, watching TV series, documentaries, animes and reading books. I'm ok with this routine but doesn't really assure me any future which is worth thinking about.

You should move to another place, provided it's better than where you currently live, there should be no doubt about that.

Your routine can abruptly change, you just need to trigger that (it's generally involuntary). Having more important things to do will make you forget about games and animés.

Computer by itself isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite I've learned so many things with youtube and online books. I am very picky when it comes to video entertainment, so I can't overdo it.

I spent yesterday and today at home, stretching my hips, learning about economy stuff, I felt like a donkey not knowing about the vocabulary (inflation, deflation, deficit ...etc) and signal processing on my computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fen

Fen

You should move to another place, provided it's better than where you currently live, there should be no doubt about that.

Your routine can abruptly change, you just need to trigger that (it's generally involuntary). Having more important things to do will make you forget about games and animés.

Computer by itself isn't a bad thing, quite the opposite I've learned so many things with youtube and online books. I am very picky when it comes to video entertainment, so I can't overdo it.

I spent yesterday and today at home, stretching my hips, learning about economy stuff, I felt like a donkey not knowing about the vocabulary (inflation, deflation, deficit ...etc) and signal processing on my computer.
yes, it is better, at least for me: I've been there before and I love it, what's more, if I manage to go I'll be able to continue my studies. I hope everything turns out well.

I think my hobbies are an important part of myself but spending all of my time on them is not "healthy", that's for sure. Sharing them with people would make it better though.

I hope you get the best from your experience abroad :perfect: France must be lovely.

Then find ways to be productive and useful in things that you enjoy. Make a list of the things you enjoy and make something out of it. Maybe France can do you good, it's a beautiful place with lots of interesting places and people also. I wish you all the best :)