Going places without friends sucks

davemason2k

My therapist wants me to go to busy places to get more comfortable around people, so I will be less nervous when I start my new job. It makes sense and I'm doing it, but going places without friends ( I have none) is depressing. I went to best buy and Taco Bell today. Walked around Best Buy, but got bored after 10 minutes. Then I went to Taco Bell and ate inside. Once again, it felt awkward eating there with no one to talk to. I've come to the conclusion that I will never feel better until I have a friend to talk to and go places with. Without any friends, I just feel distant from everyone and it's hard to start conversations with strangers. Uhhhh, I hope I can make some friends at my job. I'm sick of feeling isolated from everyone!!!

chris420

davemason2k said:
My therapist wants me to go to busy places to get more comfortable around people, so I will be less nervous when I start my new job. It makes sense and I'm doing it, but going places without friends ( I have none) is depressing. I went to best buy and Taco Bell today. Walked around Best Buy, but got bored after 10 minutes. Then I went to Taco Bell and ate inside. Once again, it felt awkward eating there with no one to talk to. I've come to the conclusion that I will never feel better until I have a friend to talk to and go places with. Without any friends, I just feel distant from everyone and it's hard to start conversations with strangers. Uhhhh, I hope I can make some friends at my job. I'm sick of feeling isolated from everyone!!!

Yeah it's still just the social anxiety that's making you feel awkward like that...but the depression/distant feeling is not having friends...friends are a necessary part of life. I know how ya feel.

davemason2k said:

Ahaha we're in like the same situation bro. I'm thinking of also going out (No one with, just me) because I know that it will help but I don't know where to start. I'm thinking of walking far away and going to places like you mentioned. Sometimes, I just couldn't breathe and it sucks big time.

littl3misstrange

I was just thinking about this today actually, as I was eating alone at A&W, staring off into space.
When I'm out alone anyone for an extended period of time (especially restaurants for some reason), I start to feel as if know one in the world actually cares about me. Ironically, the more I'm out around people in public places by myself, the more isolated & alone I begin to feel.

I don't know how how to break out of this vicious cycle. It's really wearing me down. :(

strawberrybrunette

I don't find it awkward at all eating out by myself or shopping by myself - and other people don't find it weird either. I went through a stage in my anxiety when i was convinced that everyone was staring at me - so avoided going places as much as possible, especially if i didn't have anyone to go with. But now i realise that, actually, people don't stare unless you give them a reason to (or they think you're hot, but that's another thing) - and having lunch in a cafe or whatever by yourself is not something odd at all.

I actually prefer going places by myself - i feel more in control of the situation. If i was with friends, i would feel trapped, but when i'm by myself i can just leave the shop, cinema, crowded street etc. if it starts to get to me and i feel a panic attack coming on. I wouldn't really be able to do that if i were out with other people.

chris87

I'm so used to doing everything by myself that I don't think about it anymore. I feel like having friends is important though. They seem to make life much more enjoyable.

yeah I know what ya mean. Like today I went to the mall, by myself because I wanted to get some clothes, so I ended up walking around a bunch, going in and out of stores, but I felt really strange like everyone noticed I was alone and was looking down on me..But that's crazy I know, I bet nobody even noticed I was alone and I know I shouldn't care but I do...I guess the only thing to do is go back and walk around the mall alone again tomorrow to get over this little problem of mine!

2Crowded

I dont really enjoy going in places alone either.... though I can & do every now & again but hardly ever a restaurant alone...just seems weird to me to eat out alone....rarely & I mean rarely do i ever....in fact cant remember the last time i did...all though I almost did a week ago or so...going through drive thru dont count does it? lol

MizzSoSo

strawberrybrunette said:
I don't find it awkward at all eating out by myself or shopping by myself - and other people don't find it weird either. I went through a stage in my anxiety when i was convinced that everyone was staring at me - so avoided going places as much as possible, especially if i didn't have anyone to go with. But now i realise that, actually, people don't stare unless you give them a reason to (or they think you're hot, but that's another thing) - and having lunch in a cafe or whatever by yourself is not something odd at all.

I actually prefer going places by myself - i feel more in control of the situation. If i was with friends, i would feel trapped, but when i'm by myself i can just leave the shop, cinema, crowded street etc. if it starts to get to me and i feel a panic attack coming on. I wouldn't really be able to do that if i were out with other people.

Yeah I feel the same way. You have to ask yourself the question of what kind of 'friends' do you want to hang around with. Most likely you don't want to hang around them anyway .... (they slow you down, once you're there you think about other stuff you'd rather do, they make you feel like you want to escape (becuase you just don't relate, etc.).

I'm still looking for the post that enlightens me to not want to hang out with certain kinds of people (ok, most of them - I'm in the intelligent category, party person nonetheless - have to compensate somehow) and be ok with it?!!!