Glycopyrrolate Dosage?

fastball2929

Hey guys...I'm currently on glycopyrrolate 2mg, the generic brand for robinul and avert. Today was my first day and I was told by my doctor to start the dosage very small...half tablet (1mg) up to three times a day. I took the first 1mg as soon as I woke up and ate breakfast an hour later. Went to school and I noticed I was sweating as usual so I took another 1mg about an hour and a half after I ate breakfast but still no effect. I felt minor dry mouth but that was it. I didn't take any more after that.

Is this the type of pill that I need to take for about a week to begin to feel its effect? I was kinda under the impression that you can take this at any time and it will dry up the sweating (i.e. for business meetings). I suffer from HH mostly on the hands and feet and to a lighter extent, my armpits.

I think I will start off by taking one 2mg as soon as I wake up tomorrow and see how that lasts me throughout the day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dubcloser

Good luck with the Glyco. It has been a godsend for me. I use a combo of the 2mg pill and the topical wipes. One 2mg pill and one 3% wipe in the morning. I don't eat for two hours after taking the pill.

For more detail see my other post:

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt17813.html

You can take up to 8mg in a day, but I found the dry mouth at 4mg to be intrusive.

Good luck - I hope this works out for you as well as it has for me.

dubcloser

Well, yesterday I took the 2mg pill around 10:30am and I used the wipes around 11:30am. I had a very stressful social thing at 1:00pm and I was fine for that. I've been taking the pill at least 2-3 hours before I leave the house normally, because that is what the pharmacist at pharmacy.ca said to do.

You cant eat for an hour before or two hours after taking the pill. Eating really kills the effectiveness.

I do miss breakfast.

fastball2929

What do you use the wipes for?

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear with my question. How long does it take to see results after first starting glyco? Like am I supposed to take it for a week before seeing any results?

Jezza

I don't think it should take a couple of days to get working, since there is also no accumulative effect, there is no build up of medication in the body, at least not of any significance as far as I know, which is also why the effects last for a certain amount of time and then wear off.

That is both positive and negative of course. It should work though, only you have to find out the perfect dosage. What I have read, some do well on 2mg, some 4 max is 6. I think more would be considered stupid :?

margiehope

Don't like to "argue" with doctors, but your dosage sounds (and seems) too little.

I take 2 2-mg pills when I wake up. If it's really hot, or I'm exercising, I take 3 (=6 mg.) Only once has this amount failed me--and that was on an exceptionally hot and humid day.

I was told "up to 8 mg a day, in divided doses"--though don't think I've ever taken that much.

The dry mouth is weird--for me it comes and goes--sometimes annoying (though never as annoying as pouring with sweat), sometimes not there at all--don't know why.

This is a weird ailment, and the response to meds is very individual. Just remember that it's not cumulative, and doesn't cross the blood-brain threshold.

fastball2929

Well today I started off by taking a 2mg pill in the morning and I had some reduced sweating at times throughout the school day, however, not for too long. Could this be a good sign? Perhaps if I take a higher dosage I might be close to being completely dry? I did experience a bit of dry mouth today but it was nothing too bad.

Should I start by taking two 2mg pills in the morning when I wake up and see how that lasts me through the day? Or should I take a 2mg when I wake up and another 2mg a little later during school?

dubcloser

If you can handle the dry mouth you might try just taking 4mg. Thats certainly a safe dose for most people.

I use the wipes as a supplement because I have horrible craniofacial HH along with sweating everywhere else. The pills help somewhat with the craniofacial, but when I use them together it works really well. I chose to go with the wipes rather than up my oral dose.

fastball2929

I already took the 2mg before I saw this post so is it alright if I just took another 2mg later in the morning like at 10? I guess I'll see how that works and then I'll move on to 4mg tomorrow if needed. The dry mouth was slightly bothersome but it'd be nothing if I was dry.

fastball2929

I took the 4mg today in the morning and had much better results today, though not perfect. I would sweat periodically from time to time but only mildly...nothing as bad as it was before. Do I maybe need to take it a few more days for it to reach its full effect or is this just about as good as it's going to get? The dry mouth was a lot more bothersome today so I'm afraid of upping my dosage again.

margiehope

fastball2929 said:
I took the 4mg today in the morning and had much better results today, though not perfect. I would sweat periodically from time to time but only mildly...nothing as bad as it was before. Do I maybe need to take it a few more days for it to reach its full effect or is this just about as good as it's going to get? The dry mouth was a lot more bothersome today so I'm afraid of upping my dosage again.

Hi!

If your perspiration is reduced to bearable levels, I'd stick with the 4mg --I have to remind myself that some sweating is normal--and healthy!

There really isn't any buildup--one reason long-time users feel OK about taking this is that it doesn't accumulate.

Hope you find the right balance--but glad you've already had fairly positive results!

fastball2929

I've noticed that the glyco takes quite a bit to really kick in. For example, I take it around 6:30am when I wake up, eat breakfast at roughly 7:30, then go to school but I am still sweating (almost as usual) in my car and throughout my first and even my second period in school. Finally at around 10:20 or so it seems to kick in and reduce my sweating drastically (with still the occasional sweating but nothing as bad as before). This is with the same 4mg dosage...is this normal?

For some reason I have a feeling that the generic glyco is not as effective as the brand name robinul. I keep hearing they're essentially the same but are they really exactly the same? Anyway, I've been recommended drysol by my doctor and I will pick it up at the pharmacy later today but that too is of the generic variety. I know many people use drysol by itself (without anything else) and don't have much luck but seeing as how the glyco already reduces a lot of my sweating would using drysol perhaps clear up that minor sweating I still have?

sadday

Yeah, it might work for you to use the pills and drysol in combination. If you are getting really bad dry mouth I wouldn't continue to up the dosage of the pills. I guess reducing the sweat is better than nothing at all. It's a bit of progress.

fastball2929

It's the weekend so I didn't take the glyco at all because I don't usually sweat at home. Today, however, I came down with flu-like symptoms (still burning up right now). Could this be directed to the glyco or is it just coincidence?

Curt_uk

It has been a long time since someone posted on this thread, however, I felt I needed to due to the success I've had so far with Avert 2.0mg (oral glycopyrrolate).

Anyway, my dosage consists of taking 1 2.0mg oral cap a day which seems to last me all day, thankfully.

The caps are a bit pricey, especially as I live in the UK and the caps are coming from Canada so it costs quite a bit to get shipped, but I can honestly say it's more than worth it.

Since i've been taking these i've been a lot more outgoing and im starting to regain my confidence. This really is a miracle drug. Long may it last. :bigsmile:

ukchick

It has been a long time since someone posted on this thread, however, I felt I needed to due to the success I've had so far with Avert 2.0mg (oral glycopyrrolate).

Anyway, my dosage consists of taking 1 2.0mg oral cap a day which seems to last me all day, thankfully.

The caps are a bit pricey, especially as I live in the UK and the caps are coming from Canada so it costs quite a bit to get shipped, but I can honestly say it's more than worth it.

Since i've been taking these i've been a lot more outgoing and im starting to regain my confidence. This really is a miracle drug. Long may it last. :bigsmile:
I am also in the Uk and get glyco on a prescription,so don't pay for them.Worth asking your doctor/ dermatologist about them x

Solo Dolo

i tried glyco a few years ago...it wouldnt work for me. One time I finally took like 8m cuz i was desperate and still nothing....except dry mouth, dizziness, and crap. but no help with the sweating. :(((

ihave lost all hope

86theHH

Everyone has different results with Glyco and my experience has been that it helps with generalized sweating. It seems that people are hoping that it targets specific areas so that it can stop palmar or plantar HH. This will not happen.

Keep in mind that glycopyrrolate is a drug that is commonly prescribed to treat peptic ulcers. The side effect of taking glyco to treat ulcers, is a reduction in sweating (among many other side effects). So many of the people here, including myself are using the drug's main side effect to treat a condition!

If you are looking to target specific areas, you'll have better results if you are able to do something that does target specific areas. This is not always possible though, since certain areas on the body aren't easily treatable.

If you have generalized excessive sweating and plantar HH, then a combination of glyco for generalized sweating reduction and possibly iontophoresis for the primary focal hyperhidrosis. That is what works for me! :thumbup:

86theHH

Don't like to "argue" with doctors, but your dosage sounds (and seems) too little.

If it's really hot, or I'm exercising, I take 3 (=6 mg.)

Hi MargieHope,

The most concerning thing here is taking glyco if you are exercising. :eek:
Sweating is one of the most effective ways your body uses to cool itself. If you are exercising, your body temperature increases. If you do not cool yourself down, you are putting yourself at risk for heatstroke (body temp reaches 104 F).
By taking glyco and exercising, you prevent your body from sweating and prevent your body from naturally cooling down. You are putting yourself at risk!
Please don't do that!

If you are going to work out, do not take glyco before you exercise. After you are done with your work out and your body has cooled down, then you can take your glyco :giggle:

The dosage you describe as being too little may be the case, however this drug was not intended as a treatment for HH. Reduced sweating is a side effect of the drug and not its primary function. People should always start off with a small dosage and work their way up. Glyco will help reduce generalized sweating, but won't be very effective at reducing primary focal HH.